Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I just saw a grown man cry

I just saw a grown man cry
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2007, 02:00 PM

And it damn near broke my heart. I was getting my coffee this morning, sat out front to drink it, being such a beautiful day and all, and started chatting with a older black dude I see there from time to time. I had exchanged pleasantries with him on few occasions, you know just the usual "how's it going?" and the like. Today, he said to me "Hard to believe it's been two years". I'm ashamed to admit, I replied "Two years since what?". He just smiled and said "Katrina". Then he told me his story.

He said he lived in the Ninth with his grandson. They didn't evacuate because he didn't believe it would be so bad, just another storm. As we all know that wasn't the case. He told me that when the flood came, they ended up in the attic, like so many other people. Poor ventilation, and hot as hell. Just waiting and praying. He said he had taken his grandson's t-shirt, a 4th of July shirt with an American flag on it, tied it to a piece of timber upside down and stuck it out the vent hoping someone would know what it meant. And eventually, they heard a helicopter over the house, and they banged on the roof, and heard a thump up top and saw start. A square dropped out and a helmeted head popped through and the man attached said "Ya'll need a lift?".

And he started to choke up a bit then, and he said to me "I was a navy man, and I ain't never heard anybody in the navy say nothing good about the Coast Guard. But I tell you those boys swooped in in their choppers like angels from on high and saved 30,000 people that everyone had written off for dead. And I tell you if I ever hear a man bad mouth those boys again, sailor or no, I'll bust him in his ignorant mouth."

I asked him he was going to go back, and he said that he wasn't. No reason too, and the ninth ward wasn't a place to raise his grandson anyway.

I think he just wanted to tell his story, and I'm glad he told it to me. He told the story better than I, but I thought it was worth sharing. Honestly, it pissed me off all over again, the way our government failed so many people when a part of the United States of America was turned into the third world and our own citizens were left to fend for themselves, and some to die. To try and survive in filth and squalor without benefit of food, potable water and medicine. And it pissed me off at myself, because I didn't even remember the the anniversary of may well be the worst natural disaster in our nations history.

Okay, just had to get that off my chest.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2007, 02:03 PM

Was he a fat man?

There ain't nothing worse than seein' a fat man cry

Rumor
Aug 29, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Graviton View Post
Was he a fat man?

Way to take a heartfelt story and make the first retarded comment.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2007, 02:09 PM

I can't work out if that's a compliment or not.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2007, 02:14 PM

..and I complained my day was crappy just because I had to work.. Thanks for the story.

..and Gravitron..grow up.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 02:21 PM

Nice story, but...

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Honestly, it pissed me off all over again, the way our government failed so many people when a part of the United States of America was turned into the third world and our own citizens were left to fend for themselves, and some to die.
Keep politics in the pol lounge. As a mod, you should know better. And as a politically aware American, you should know that the President can't deploy federal troops/aid in domestic situations until requested to do so by state government.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Nice story, but...

Keep politics in the pol lounge. As a mod, you should know better. And as a politically aware American, you should know that the President can't deploy federal troops/aid in domestic situations until requested to do so by state government.

It wasn't political, it was just a statement of fact. The government isn't just the federal government, it also includes the state and local governments as well, and collectively the entire lot failed. If I had pointed blame at one particular aspect of government, or made my feelings partisan in anyway, then I would agree with you. But the facts show there was a monumental failure on the behalf of collective government, local, state and federal, and to say that pointing that out belongs in the politics forum is ridiculous.
Nemo me impune lacesset

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 02:32 PM

Did I miss something? I don't see any reference to the president or the federal government in the post.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Did I miss something? I don't see any reference to the president or the federal government in the post.
I saw an inference there:

the way our government
Unless TI and every other American reading this thread is in Louisiana, that implies that the statement was about the feds.

@TI: It's a touching story TI (seriously, thanks for that), but you know what you meant when you typed that part of the original post.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 02:53 PM

I saw an update on tv yesterday and it just give me goosebumps. Last time I was there was Christmas. Sure some parts are the same, but some neighborhoods - both rich and poor areas- are still in shambles. There are still people that were traumatized by this event and it is just sad.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 03:00 PM

Unless TI and every other American reading this thread is in Louisiana, that implies that the statement was about the feds.

@TI: It's a touching story TI (seriously, thanks for that), but you know what you meant when you typed that part of the original post.
Jeez, so he expressed an opinion about our government in a post that dealt mostly with the sorrow of one man who lived through Katrina. So what? Get over yourself. You're not a mod. Leave it be. If it started a political debate, then the mods would move it to the proper forum.

Anyways, back on topic. I saw a Wide Angle episode (PBS) last night on Katrina. Its painful to see that again, and to hear the stories of those who experienced it first hand. They are all still living with pain and uncertainty. I hope those people find some sort of resolution and closure soon.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 03:16 PM

You shoulda seen me last night when that bleeping Mota gave up that damn home run to Ryan Howard in the 10th....
It was enough to make me wish he was back on steroids, at least he could last more than one inning while he was juiced.

Of course, I wasn't watching that game from my attic, waiting for someone to rescue me, so maybe I didn't have that bad a night at all....

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 03:57 PM

Lol, impressive attempt at trolling. I think the inference in this case is your own.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

darkfusion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 04:02 PM

What do those meteorologist know except for predicting with witchcraft.

finboy
Aug 29, 2007, 04:03 PM

Honestly, it pissed me off all over again, the way our government failed so many people when a part of the United States of America was turned into the third world and our own citizens were left to fend for themselves, and some to die. To try and survive in filth and squalor without benefit of food, potable water and medicine.
I'm with you man. Thanks for the reminder.

Wanna know what pisses me off? That lots of folks down here in the South live like that ALL OF THE TIME and nobody does jack about it, including many of the people living that way. The social programs & local governments we have are corrupt, and create the wrong incentives to fix things, so ordinary folks are tired of their tax dollars going to waste or going to rebuild levies that are DOOMED TO FAIL.

There are plenty of places in the South that look like the 3rd world year-round, and suddenly 2 years ago CNN showed up in Nola and declared it a travesty. It's nuts.

And what about other storms? Hey, what about Charleston in 1989? What about Hurricanes Andrew, and Floyd, when floods displaced counties full of people. The demographics of whole regions changed after those disasters, and we heard d*ck back then.

I think Katrina illustrates how a whole country can pretend that everything's alright in New Orleans as long as the airport is open for Mardi Gras. It's shameful.

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 04:08 PM

It may not have been created for to PL, but this thread sure as hell looks predestined for it.

Rumor
Aug 29, 2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by darkfusion View Post
What do those meteorologist know except for predicting with witchcraft.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 04:29 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Graviton View Post
Was he a fat man?

Reported. Hope you get banned, *#%$^&#*$ !

-t

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 04:56 PM

Graviton, grow up, please. Doofy, seriously, wtf? Take off your political wrangling hat for a change and let the thread be the thread ThinkInsane intended. If the first thing you see is a political aspect to the story, then you are one click away from where you ought to stay.

ThinkInsane, thanks for the story.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Doofy, seriously, wtf? Take off your political wrangling hat for a change and let the thread be the thread ThinkInsane intended. If the first thing you see is a political aspect to the story, then you are one click away from where you ought to stay.
Actually, the political aspect was the last thing I saw. It started off nice enough, then TI had to get something "off his chest". Was he getting the relayed story off his chest? No. People don't get relayed stories "off their chest" - they simply relay them.

Got something to get off your chest and it contains the word "government"? Go do it in the pol lounge. Period.

The last paragraph of the OP made this political. No reason for that at all. Here it is again, without the political slant:

And it damn near broke my heart. I was getting my coffee this morning, sat out front to drink it, being such a beautiful day and all, and started chatting with a older black dude I see there from time to time. I had exchanged pleasantries with him on few occasions, you know just the usual "how's it going?" and the like. Today, he said to me "Hard to believe it's been two years". I'm ashamed to admit, I replied "Two years since what?". He just smiled and said "Katrina". Then he told me his story.

He said he lived in the Ninth with his grandson. They didn't evacuate because he didn't believe it would be so bad, just another storm. As we all know that wasn't the case. He told me that when the flood came, they ended up in the attic, like so many other people. Poor ventilation, and hot as hell. Just waiting and praying. He said he had taken his grandson's t-shirt, a 4th of July shirt with an American flag on it, tied it to a piece of timber upside down and stuck it out the vent hoping someone would know what it meant. And eventually, they heard a helicopter over the house, and they banged on the roof, and heard a thump up top and saw start. A square dropped out and a helmeted head popped through and the man attached said "Ya'll need a lift?".

And he started to choke up a bit then, and he said to me "I was a navy man, and I ain't never heard anybody in the navy say nothing good about the Coast Guard. But I tell you those boys swooped in in their choppers like angels from on high and saved 30,000 people that everyone had written off for dead. And I tell you if I ever hear a man bad mouth those boys again, sailor or no, I'll bust him in his ignorant mouth."

I asked him he was going to go back, and he said that he wasn't. No reason too, and the ninth ward wasn't a place to raise his grandson anyway.

I think he just wanted to tell his story, and I'm glad he told it to me. He told the story better than I, but I thought it was worth sharing. It pissed me off at myself, because I didn't even remember the the anniversary of may well be the worst natural disaster in our nations history.
See? No problem. A fine, thoughtful post for the lounge. Minus political connotations.

Some of you folks are so used to taking political pot-shots at the current administration, you don't even know when you're doing it.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 05:11 PM

Doofy, I think you're way overacting here. It's a post that was written with feeling and even if there is a political statement in there, who cares?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 05:12 PM

And while we're at it:

He said he lived in the Ninth with his grandson. They didn't evacuate because he didn't believe it would be so bad, just another storm.
Honestly, it pissed me off all over again, the way our government failed so many people when a part of the United States of America was turned into the third world and our own citizens were left to fend for themselves, and some to die.
Did the government fail anyone? No. They were told to evacuate. They didn't - those who chose to stay did so of their own free will and took the consequence on their own heads. That's not the government's fault. Period.

It was a nice story, but TI put politics all over it. Hence it shouldn't be here but in the PL.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Doofy, I think you're way overacting here. It's a post that was written with feeling and even if there is a political statement in there, who cares?
Yes, it was a fine post. Except the political statement.

If we're going to have a PL lounge separate from the regular lounge, let's have everyone (including the mods) abiding by the rules and putting stuff in the correct place. That's all I'm saying.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 05:16 PM

Some of you folks are so used to taking political pot-shots at the current administration, you don't even know when you're doing it.
That's because the current administration is run by a f**king retard. Don't deny it, just accept it.

And don't complain about the politics - you are the one who brought politics into a thoughtful post.

Oh, and you can take that "political pot-shot" to the bank.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 05:20 PM

Yes, it was a fine post. Except the political statement etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Way to derail the thread. This is why I don't bother posting here much anymore. There's always someone ready to chide someone else over the most inane horsesh*t. You done good.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 05:25 PM

No. Go read the first post again. See the word "government"? That's politics, whichever way you slice it.

I don't give a toss either way, but if we're going to have rules...

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
ordinary folks are tired of their tax dollars going to waste or going to rebuild levies that are DOOMED TO FAIL.

And what about other storms? Hey, what about Charleston in 1989? What about Hurricanes Andrew, and Floyd, when floods displaced counties full of people. The demographics of whole regions changed after those disasters, and we heard d*ck back then.

You can't stop nature.
While there are certain weather disasters that are random and unpredictable much of the destruction and cost that we have undergone in recent history could be far less disastrous if people didn't insist on living in places where they shouldn't
You should not live on 20, 50, or 100 year flood plains. You shouldn't live on drained swamp lands. You can live on the coast but keep in mind you live there at your own risk and a hurricane can come at any point.

I am by no means a treehugger but nature is going to f*ck you in the ass when you try and hold it back. The stupidity of people and the government's instance on subsidizing insurance and allowing them to rebuild in areas where natural disasters are just going to happen again is ridiculous.
NOLA would not be flooded again if they allowed the swamp to reclaim what it needs to and if they let the sediment from the Mississippi go where it is supposed to end up. Rebuilding it as it once was at the behest of that idiot mayor and governor is just going to lead to a repeat of 05 in a few decades.
It sucks people lost their homes and they are forced to start over but this is what happens when you live in places that are meant to be mothernature's toilet.

I don't like that one penny of my taxes goes to rebuild these places or that we subsidize insurance for people who live there.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 05:28 PM

No. Go read the first post again. See the word "government"? That's politics, whichever way you slice it.

I don't give a toss either way, but if we're going to have rules...
Fine, you have an issue with one word in a post? Debate the rules in the feedback forum. Why f*ck up an otherwise good thread because you have an issue? Especially if you don't really give a toss in the first place. Just feel like stirring the pot?

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 05:31 PM

It wasn't political, it was just a statement of fact. The government isn't just the federal government, it also includes the state and local governments as well, and collectively the entire lot failed. If I had pointed blame at one particular aspect of government, or made my feelings partisan in anyway, then I would agree with you. But the facts show there was a monumental failure on the behalf of collective government, local, state and federal, and to say that pointing that out belongs in the politics forum is ridiculous.
Would you give me the same latitude or is that just for those who are privileged?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 05:33 PM

Fine, you have an issue with one word in a post? Debate the rules in the feedback forum. Why f*ck up an otherwise good thread because you have an issue? Especially if you don't really give a toss in the first place. Just feel like stirring the pot?
I think if you look at what this admittedly lovely story exemplifies are the same types of things I've been vilified by ThinkInsane for doing. Double standards are allowed to exist when good posters say nothing in defense of fair treatment for all.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 05:39 PM

Fine, you have an issue with one word in a post?
No, I have an issue with a mod abusing the rules. TI knew he was making a political statement when he typed that last paragraph. There was no need for it - if he wants to "get something off his chest" about how Katrina was handled then he can go to the PL like the rest of us do.

The story was great. It was the "getting it off the chest" part that I take issue with. If anyone else had started this thread, it'd be in the PL by now.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
I think if you look at what this admittedly lovely story exemplifies are the same types of things I've been vilified by ThinkInsane for doing. Double standards are allowed to exist when good posters say nothing in defense of fair treatment for all.
I don't read your threads so that's your affair with ThinkInsane. What I read here was a heartfelt story, which immediately got dinged with a juvenile comment from Graviton, and armwaving by Doofy that it is political. Both were lame in my opinion.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 05:43 PM

No, I have an issue with a mod abusing the rules. TI knew he was making a political statement when he typed that last paragraph. There was no need for it - if he wants to "get something off his chest" about how Katrina was handled then he can go to the PL like the rest of us do.

The story was great. It was the "getting it off the chest" part that I take issue with. If anyone else had started this thread, it'd be in the PL by now.
I would concur with Mastrap that you're overreacting. I don't think it would have ended up anywhere else had someone other than a mod made the post. We just have to agree to disagree on this point.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 05:52 PM

Shut up already Doofy! You LOSE. Stop reading this thread. Move on. Go do a search for the word "government" in the Lounge and do more policing. (someone get this dude a plastic badge)

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:08 PM

I don't read your threads so that's your affair with ThinkInsane. What I read here was a heartfelt story, which immediately got dinged with a juvenile comment from Graviton, and armwaving by Doofy that it is political. Both were lame in my opinion.
Let's look at this with fresh eyes, if you can.

Honestly, it pissed me off all over again, the way our government failed so many people when a part of the United States of America was turned into the third world and our own citizens were left to fend for themselves, and some to die. To try and survive in filth and squalor without benefit of food, potable water and medicine. And it pissed me off at myself, because I didn't even remember the the anniversary of may well be the worst natural disaster in our nations history.
Wouldn't this qualify as a comment regarding this government's disaster response? And didn't politics get in the way of the government being able to serve the needs of the people? And hasn't criticism of the government been and still is a political wedge in this country?

So, if I had introduced such a story with even less political content or over/undertones I'd be at least ragged on by our fellow posters. And in the past TI has disciplined or admonished me for making posts not even this politically charged.

What's good for the goose is good for the goosee.

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:09 PM

Absolutely right!

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Shut up already Doofy! You LOSE. Stop reading this thread. Move on. Go do a search for the word "government" in the Lounge and do more policing. (someone get this dude a plastic badge)
I'm sorry but I don't think you are seeing this clearly.

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:12 PM

I would concur with Mastrap that you're overreacting. I don't think it would have ended up anywhere else had someone other than a mod made the post. We just have to agree to disagree on this point.
It's already happening right before your very eyes. You just don't seem to care about others' rights.

Way to safeguard your freedoms.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:13 PM

Was there something funky in the eclipse the other night? I'm noticing a lot of raw nerves in the forum the last couple of days.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 06:14 PM

I'm sorry but I don't think you are seeing this clearly.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Doofy derailed this thread, period. He made it political, not ThinkInsane. He continues to keep the thread off its rails. Why? Because of the word "government". Please. Get over it already. This type of nitpicking is stupid.

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
That's because the current administration is run by a f**king retard. Don't deny it, just accept it.

And don't complain about the politics - you are the one who brought politics into a thoughtful post.

Oh, and you can take that "political pot-shot" to the bank.
This is a political comment and the O.P.'s statement was, too.

It belongs in the PL.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Was there something funky in the eclipse the other night? I'm noticing a lot of raw nerves in the forum the last couple of days.
oh, did mommy let you use the computer again? you go now!

Rumor
Aug 29, 2007, 06:19 PM

Soooooo, does anyone think the Dodgers have a chance at the World Series this year?

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 06:19 PM

Let's look at this with fresh eyes, if you can.

Wouldn't this qualify as a comment regarding this government's disaster response? And didn't politics get in the way of the government being able to serve the needs of the people? And hasn't criticism of the government been and still is a political wedge in this country?

So, if I had introduced such a story with even less political content or over/undertones I'd be at least ragged on by our fellow posters. And in the past TI has disciplined or admonished me for making posts not even this politically charged.

What's good for the goose is good for the goosee.
What you're missing is that this thread was not political until someone made it that way, and that someone is named Doofy. Now others are offering up political statements because of it.

And guess what, this forum isn't a democracy. Its run by mods and the mods have the final say around here. If you have a power struggle issue going on with the mods, thats your problem. Don't go derailing threads because you feel your "rights" are being violated by the mods.

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
When did emotional passion become a valid exception for breaking the rules?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:21 PM

This is a political comment and the O.P.'s statement was, too.

It belongs in the PL.
No sh*t? Really? And here I was trying to keep politics out of it. Oh well.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 06:22 PM

Honestly, it pissed me off all over again, the way our government failed so many people when a part of the United States of America was turned into the third world and our own citizens were left to fend for themselves, and some to die. To try and survive in filth and squalor without benefit of food, potable water and medicine. And it pissed me off at myself, because I didn't even remember the the anniversary of may well be the worst natural disaster in our nations history.
Everyone should just be friends now.
Fixinated.

-t

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
...words...violated...words...
Ah, I love coming here and being violated. Cheaper than downtown.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Soooooo, does anyone think the Dodgers have a chance at the World Series this year?
No.

Forum Links
Forum Rules