Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photoshop Question

Photoshop Question
graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2001, 06:46 PM

I have a black and white image(a mask for an icon) that I want to create a subtle drop shadow for. Does anyone know how to do this in Photoshop 5.0 LE? I can't imagine it's too hard.

PS-Mods, I know I should have posted in the Art forum, but a few more people visit the lounge than the Art forum... Please don't close/move the thread until someone has answered the question.
"...Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

eep!
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2001, 06:52 PM

If I read your post right, that you want the icon to have a shadow... i think you'll want to put the shadow on the icon (the image itself, not the mask) but make sure that the mask fades out to reveal the shadow.

i know what i mean, i think.

graphiteman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2001, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by eep!:
<STRONG>If I read your post right, that you want the icon to have a shadow... i think you'll want to put the shadow on the icon (the image itself, not the mask) but make sure that the mask fades out to reveal the shadow.

i know what i mean, i think.</STRONG>
The question is, how do I fade out the mask? That's what I really want to know.
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 27, 2001, 07:03 PM

you can select the shadow and make it into a channel if you want. a screenshot might help explain things better.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

graphiteman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2001, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
<STRONG>you can select the shadow and make it into a channel if you want. a screenshot might help explain things better.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Demonhood ]</STRONG>
Unfortunately, the LE 5.0 version doesn't support channels.

Maybe this will clear up what is is that I want to do: I want to take an irregular black filled object (the mask of another image file, which will end up being an icon) and create a subtle drop shadow on the side(s) opposite the light source (in my case, the upper right corner). Right now there is no shadow whatsoever anywhere, just a plain and simple mask.
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2001, 11:35 AM

Can you post an image for us to help you out?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2001, 12:23 PM

due to the lack of any real help in this thread I will try.
Does Photoshop 5.0 LE support layers?
If it does you can try this:
I have also never used an LE version of PS so some of the detail may be wrong, this is also based on PS 5.5. and my recalection of 5 is a bit hazy.
a: make sure your image is a fair bit bigger than the icon you are creating.
1. Open the layers window
2. Is your current graphic on a layer called 'background' if yes go to 3 if not it's on 'layer 1' or somthing skip to 4 if it has a transparent 'checkaboard' background skip to 5
3. Select the 'background' layer in the layers window, and select Duplicate layer from the 'Layers' menu. This will create a duplicate of the background layer called 'layer 1', click on the eye next to the 'background' layer (in the layers window) This turns off the background layer.
4. Using the magic wand tool click in the white area and press delete, your icon now has a transparent background.
5. select 'new layer' from the 'Layers' menu. and select it in the Layers window, drag the new layer up the list so it is above the layer with the graphic on it.
6. Command click the layer that has your graphic on it in the Layers window. This creates a selection based on whats in that layer.
7. go to the Select menu (in 5.5 its in a Modify sub menu) and select expand. in the dialogue that appears set a setting of 1 and click ok.
8. Go to the Edit menu select Fill, select black from the dropdown.
9. Select menu All (command 'A')
10. Use the Gaussian blur filter to soften the edge of the black.
11. using the arrow keys 'nudge' the black into the correct position so it lookes like the shaddow.

I hope that helps. This may have been better posted in the 'Art & Graphic Design ' forum

graphiteman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2001, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>due to the lack of any real help in this thread I will try.
Does Photoshop 5.0 LE support layers?
If it does you can try this:
I have also never used an LE version of PS so some of the detail may be wrong, this is also based on PS 5.5. and my recalection of 5 is a bit hazy.

[snip]

I hope that helps. This may have been better posted in the 'Art & Graphic Design ' forum </STRONG>
Someone on AppleInsider suggested a similar method, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the advice.

Oh, the reason for it being in the Lounge was that more people visit the lounge, so in theory it woulod make the response time faster.
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Forum Links
Forum Rules