Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Recording live audio to G4 1Ghz TiBook

Recording live audio to G4 1Ghz TiBook
I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2003, 01:35 AM

I need the easiest and cheapest solution to record live audio to a 1Ghz TiBook. Think one guy giving a presentation to a conference seminar group. Need some way to go from the small sound board and record a MP3 or some such file on the TiBook. Also, it would be GREAT if I could be recording while simulaneously projecting a Keynote presentation.

Thanks!

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2003, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by I Have Questions:
I need the easiest and cheapest solution to record live audio to a 1Ghz TiBook. Think one guy giving a presentation to a conference seminar group. Need some way to go from the small sound board and record a MP3 or some such file on the TiBook. Also, it would be GREAT if I could be recording while simulaneously projecting a Keynote presentation.

Thanks!
iMic from griffin (49�) to get the sound into your mac.
a mike - not too cheap, lets say 20�
spark me - at vt for free

connect everything and start it.

make your keynote, recording goes on in background...

cheap enough?

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 07:38 AM

The Tibook has a mic socket on the back, so I don't think you'll need the imic, making the solution cheaper.

If you're going from a sounddesk, you just need a cable (I'm guessing 2x6mm jacks to a 3.5mm jack). If the desk only has xlr outputs then you'll need a direct injection (di or 'dodgy') box (your sound engineer should know about this) to provide the appropriate outputs.

If the sound engineer has already got a cable that will work, your total cost is nil.

Hope this helps,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
The Tibook has a mic socket on the back, so I don't think you'll need the imic, making the solution cheaper.

If you're going from a sounddesk, you just need a cable (I'm guessing 2x6mm jacks to a 3.5mm jack). If the desk only has xlr outputs then you'll need a direct injection (di or 'dodgy') box (your sound engineer should know about this) to provide the appropriate outputs.

If the sound engineer has already got a cable that will work, your total cost is nil.

Hope this helps,

J.
Please not that the PowerBooks line-in is not at line-level. You'll need an amp.

tr
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Please not that the PowerBooks line-in is not at line-level. You'll need an amp.
if he's getting a feed from a mixer/sounddesk, an amp won't be needed. all depends what kind of output he's getting off the mixer. if it's only XLR, then he will need a direct box, like Freeflyer stated.

i'd also second using Spark ME. it's a great program, and it's free. then, if you need to make an mp3 of the audio, just drop the aiff into iTunes, and convert.

tr

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by tr:
if he's getting a feed from a mixer/sounddesk, an amp won't be needed. all depends what kind of output he's getting off the mixer. if it's only XLR, then he will need a direct box, like Freeflyer stated.

i'd also second using Spark ME. it's a great program, and it's free. then, if you need to make an mp3 of the audio, just drop the aiff into iTunes, and convert.

tr
OK... this is sounding good. Now explain to me like I'm a 4 year old what I need to ask the sound guy about the outputs... there seems to be some differences in what I'll need depending on what is coming out of the sound board.

Also - it seems that recording while running Keynote will not be a problem, so this is good.

So, my question has something to do with what kind of outputs the sound board has? And if it is one thing I'll need some sort of amp or box and if it's another I won't? See - I told you I don't know what I'm talking about!

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2003, 09:44 AM

Tell the engineer that you have a mic level 3.5mm input on the back of your powerbook and you would like to get a connection from the sound desk. He/She should be able to either provide, or tell you where to get, the appropriate cable.

Without knowing the specific desk details, it's hard to specify exactly what you'll need. The engineer should be able to help.

I'd suggest doing this a few days in advance so that he'll have time to source any equipment he may not have.

If you want to test out the software, you can use the built in mic on the powerbook (or plug in an external) to play at home before your presentation.

Hope this helps.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Normally, all you'll need is a direct injection box. This box converts between line and mic level, it's what the mics are plugged into on stage, and from there to the desk. Also has multiple connection types (xlr, jacks etc).

Any sound engineer should have several, we used to have a box of about a hundred for a big show.

J.
( Last edited by Freeflyer; Oct 20, 2003 at 09:07 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules