Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 2400c Green Light of Death Fix

Powerbook 2400c Green Light of Death Fix
sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Mar 1, 2005, 05:39 PM

Hey peeps, I fixed a 2400c a little while ago that apparently had the Green Light of Death. I didn't properly photograph the whole thing, but if I get a chance to do another I will.
The pics I do have are here

http://homepage.mac.com/flyguy2005/PhotoAlbum9.html

And if you want the details drop me a line.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 05:46 PM

ah, the 2400c...
my first powerbook.
i loved that thing, for its time: small, lite, sleek.
built like a tank (by ibm, originally for apple japan only)..!

still...amazed u can still use it; no usb, no airport...

but a great moment in mac history..

good job, btw!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
still...amazed u can still use it; no usb, no airport...
no ethernet even (got a GlobalVilliage 56k modem/ethernet combo card for mine).

It lasted me until law school when I upgraded to my current TiBook 500, which is starting to feel a bit long in the tooth itself.

2400c was a great machine though.

Anybody want to buy one?
cpac

asxless
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 09:11 PM

...amazed u can still use it; no usb, no airport...
"no airport"? You mean no Airport _card_.

My 2400c is currently a dedicated _wireless_ MP3 player hooked to the LINN amp in our whole house stereo system. It's logged on to a SNAP server which stores/serves the full MP3 collection via AFP. The connection is via an original graphite Airport base station. It's been playing MP3s this way 24/7 since i got the Rev A TiBook the week they were released. [That's pre OSX BTW.]

In its prior life my 2400c was the first wireless (802.11b) computer in our multi-national company. I'll never forget the look on our IT folks faces when I plugged my then brand new Airport base station into the office LAN and surfed the internet, emailed via the Exchange server, printed to shared printers, and shared files wirelessly while sitting at a conference room table using my trusty little 2400c.

FWIW I bought TWO of the first Airports available in the city. I dismantled one of them to remove the Lucent Silver card which at the time was in very short supply. I plugged that Lucent Silver card in my 2400c and was wireless. I've never looked back Later I switched out to Lucent Gold cards (128 encryption). That original Airport base station (now with a Gold card) is the one I'm using as I post this from my new 15" 1,67Mhz PowerBook. Not bad for an antique

-- asxless in iLand

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by asxless:
"no airport"? You mean no Airport _card_.

My 2400c is currently a dedicated _wireless_ MP3 player hooked to the LINN amp in our whole house stereo system. It's logged on to a SNAP server which stores/serves the full MP3 collection via AFP. The connection is via an original graphite Airport base station. It's been playing MP3s this way 24/7 since i got the Rev A TiBook the week they were released. [That's pre OSX BTW.]

In its prior life my 2400c was the first wireless (802.11b) computer in our multi-national company. I'll never forget the look on our IT folks faces when I plugged my then brand new Airport base station into the office LAN and surfed the internet, emailed via the Exchange server, printed to shared printers, and shared files wirelessly while sitting at a conference room table using my trusty little 2400c.

FWIW I bought TWO of the first Airports available in the city. I dismantled one of them to remove the Lucent Silver card which at the time was in very short supply. I plugged that Lucent Silver card in my 2400c and was wireless. I've never looked back Later I switched out to Lucent Gold cards (128 encryption). That original Airport base station (now with a Gold card) is the one I'm using as I post this from my new 15" 1,67Mhz PowerBook. Not bad for an antique

-- asxless in iLand

that's brilliant; i forgot about the card slot (guess i never used it). and a way for the 2400c to connect to the world!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

asxless
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by sine -''-..-:
Hey peeps, I fixed a 2400c a little while ago that apparently had the Green Light of Death...
Congratulations! Dismantling a 2400c is not for the faint of heart or forgetful (so where did those 10 screws go anyway

FWIW My 2400c is a G3. This was its 2nd brain transplant as I stretched it usability until Apple got its act together and delivered the PowerBook G4.

BTW I've owned nearly dozen PowerBooks from my first Duo -> my current 1.67 Mhz 15" PowerBook. The 2400c is still my all time favorite. Oh I would'nt trade my new PowerBook for one, but i still have fond memories of the little Book the could.

-- asxless in iLand
( Last edited by asxless; Mar 1, 2005 at 09:57 PM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by asxless:
Congratulations! Dismantling a 2400c is not for the faint of heart or forgetful (so where did those 10 screws go anyway

FWIW My 2400c is a G3. This was its 2nd brain transplant as I stretched it usability until Apple got its act together and delivered the PowerBook G4.

BTW I've owned nearly dozen PowerBooks from my first Duo -> my current 1.67 Mhz 15" PowerBook. The 2400c is still my all time favorite. Oh I would trade my new PowerBook for one, but i still have fond memories of the little Book the could.

-- asxless in iLand

funny, i love my 12" alubook, but the 2400c was my favorite too.
maybe just the scale of things, but it was an astonishing machine for it's time...in an amazingly compact package!

and rare (as i posted earlier, not originally slated for a u.s. release).

everyone was amazed by it (while the alubook is a lot more common)

asxless
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 09:55 PM

funny, i love my 12" alubook, but the 2400c was my favorite too.
maybe just the scale of things, but it was an astonishing machine for it's time...in an amazingly compact package!

and rare (as i posted earlier, not originally slated for a u.s. release).

everyone was amazed by it (while the alubook is a lot more common)
I agree. The 12"AlBook makes the 2400c look like... well an antique. But in its day the 2400c was a head turner. Winodws folks were seriously jealous of the size and what it could do.

In that era I had a global job -- I flew around the world 3-5 times a year (literally) . This little 2400c made every flight. I always carried extra batteries and hot swapped them on the long haul runs. After seeing me using the little book for hours the other folks in business class would often lean over on the way to the john to ask what brand that cool PC laptop was. I always enjoyed telling them it was an APPLE -- and OBTW EAT YOUR HEART OUT -- and yes it does run Windows (via SoftPC), but why would anyone in their right mind want too?!

-- asxless in iLand

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 12:29 AM

one thing i loved about it (and NOT my pismo, a great machine in it's own way) was how rugged it was.

i carried it everywhere, thrown into a backpack.

it's still doing its thing for a friend, who writes with it (and prints to an old printer!)

all this makes me look forward to the next generation of 12" pbs...
smaller, lighter, thinner...? (and backlit keyboard, please!)

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2005, 04:25 PM

the 2400c, the first laptop i longed to have but couldn't afford (it was $3500 in 1997). to this day, whenever they air "you've got mail" on TV, i still stick around to see the 2400c.

Forum Links
Forum Rules