Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.app/gmail/other email account

Mail.app/gmail/other email account
I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2005, 02:49 PM

I'll try my best to explain this question so that it makes sense...

I use mail.app with six different email addresses: My wife and I have three addresses from our ISP that we use for personal stuff and online orders, etc. I have a gmail account set up with mail.app as POP, and two different addresses for work from different domains. (ex: [email protected] and [email protected])

Now, the "work" addresses are set up as POP accounts, but our company doesn't run any sort of big network or servers... we just pay some cheap rate for web hosting and email addresses. There is a webmail site that sucks, so I use it with mail.app.

OK, so I have to set my "outgoing mail server" in preferences to something for these accounts, since we don't have a SMTP server. If I use my ISP's smtp everything is fine. BUT, I can't use that server when I'm on the road... my ISP blocks it when I'm on a different network. So, I hate the webmail for work and need another way to send work emails. I can use the gmail SMTP for this from anywhere, but in mail.app even though it says the sent from address is @mywork.com, I finally realized that in reality, everyone is getting these from @gmail.com. That isn't acceptable either.

So, anyway that I can send mail from the road and keep the proper address when other people view my mail? Does .Mac do this or not? For instance, could I send @mywork.com through the .Mac SMTP from anywhere... would it say from @mywork.com or from @mac.com?

Hope this is making sense... it is barely making sense to me.

PS - I know that I could always manually add a new SMTP server from whatever network I'm on, but a lot of the time I'm in a hotel or free hotspot somewhere, and the random girl behind the counter never knows what the hell I'm talking about, much less can understand my explanation of a SMTP server! I need a "permanent" solution.

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2005, 06:46 PM

If possible, I would see if your ISP provides authenticated SMTP access. Meaning, even if you are on a different network, you can give crendentials in order to use the ISP's SMTP server. Often, this is used in conjunction with TLS or SSL. Good luck.

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2005, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by si_lance:
If possible, I would see if your ISP provides authenticated SMTP access. Meaning, even if you are on a different network, you can give crendentials in order to use the ISP's SMTP server. Often, this is used in conjunction with TLS or SSL. Good luck.
This might be an option, but it isn't an easy one - especially since I will soon be moving to Africa where the ISPs aren't exactly on top of things to say the least.

I just want to know if there is a way I can send mail from the road through the gmail SMTP and have it retain my other email address as the "from" when it is received. Or, alternatively if .mac or some other service provides this feature. Surely, someone must know this!

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2005, 05:08 PM

OK, I looked at a few SMTP services out there that I found via google. Most of them are downloadable software that only works on a PC. Also found a way to use a local host something or other with Mail.app from a WiFi connection, but this is apparently unsecure and often blocked by the recipient's ISP as possible spam.

I can't believe that NO ONE out there sends email from the road from a domain without its own SMTP. How do you do it???

CatOne
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by I Have Questions:
OK, I looked at a few SMTP services out there that I found via google. Most of them are downloadable software that only works on a PC. Also found a way to use a local host something or other with Mail.app from a WiFi connection, but this is apparently unsecure and often blocked by the recipient's ISP as possible spam.

I can't believe that NO ONE out there sends email from the road from a domain without its own SMTP. How do you do it???
Google can SMTP from anywhere. Read their setup guide, they use an encrypted SMTP connection on another port that doesn't block outbound SMTP.

When I'm on the road, though, I VPN in to my company servers, and can then SMTP from the work server. Works anywhere I can get my mail, and I have to VPN in to *get* the mail in the first place.

I Have Questions  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2005, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Google can SMTP from anywhere. Read their setup guide, they use an encrypted SMTP connection on another port that doesn't block outbound SMTP.

When I'm on the road, though, I VPN in to my company servers, and can then SMTP from the work server. Works anywhere I can get my mail, and I have to VPN in to *get* the mail in the first place.
Right, but Google's SMTP sends the mail from gmail.com if I use the gmail SMTP. On MY computer and in MY sent folder, it looks like it was sent from [email protected], but when someone else RECEIVES the mail, they see that it is from [email protected]. I want to be able to send mail from anywhere that will be received having the label of the mail account I sent it from.

No VPN, no company servers. We don't have any of that.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by I Have Questions:
Right, but Google's SMTP sends the mail from gmail.com if I use the gmail SMTP. On MY computer and in MY sent folder, it looks like it was sent from [email protected], but when someone else RECEIVES the mail, they see that it is from [email protected]. I want to be able to send mail from anywhere that will be received having the label of the mail account I sent it from.

No VPN, no company servers. We don't have any of that.
You can't do it. SMTP is typically blocked for this purpose... otherwise a spammer could freeload on a network (say, check in to a hotel) and send a billion emails from the SMTP server. Hotel gets blacklisted, guests complain... so they block it.

You could set up your OWN SMTP server that uses a different port than 25 (because 25 will be blocked), and turn on STMP authorization. Or ask the local folks what their SMTP server settings are, and what you need to do. It's a pain, but it's just the way things are, in this day of spam.

Forum Links
Forum Rules