Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Powermac G5 intermittently refuses to sleep or display sleep

Powermac G5 intermittently refuses to sleep or display sleep
Link
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 04:51 AM

Since we got my mom's powermac, I noticed something odd about it -- every now and then it'd sit with the display on for ages and ages, and then I tried to sleep the machine, it wouldn't sleep!

No, nothing's playing in itunes, the idle-sleep is set, and the idle-display sleep is set, wake for network activity and power failure are off. The machine's plugged into the network via ethernet, optical audio for sound, ADC for display, and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse setup..

I have a feeling it's a "normal quirk" for one of the above, but if it is, that's insane. Personally I'm leaning towards the video card, but have absolutely no idea...

Two more things: Sleeping the machine from the menu bar in that state causes a spinning beachball of death, and in normal situations where you have regular audio-out enabled (which it keeps reverting to), it STILL outputs to the optical out.....

Perhaps the logic board? I dunno.. The hard part is we've got no way to take this into a service place right now.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules