Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Any recommendations for KVM switch with audio support?

Any recommendations for KVM switch with audio support?
Silly Burrito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 09:48 PM

I've been searching a lot of tech sites and a lot of KVMs (TrendNet, IoGear, Belkin, etc.). Most of the KVMs seem to have varying degrees of success when switching between a Mac and a PC. The only one that I've found so far that gets high praise is this one from ConnectPro, but it doesn't do audio.

Does anyone know a good unit that will also share audio that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? If nothing else, I'd probably buy that unit and do some Radio Shack splitter voodoo to share the speakers, but that's obviously less than ideal. Heck, if there was a good device to share speakers with subwoofers, I'd think about buying that.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've read the DVI KVM switch thread, and while I do use DVI for my Mini, I don't really care about that part. I'm mainly interested in switching the keyboard, mouse, and audio.

Thanks!
I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, don't even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".

bujumbura
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 12:19 PM

I use the miniview IOgear http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS632U

Works really well once configured to the desired keystroke.

One consideration though, you can't share any peripherals on the 2 port

Addlogix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Silly Burrito
I've been searching a lot of tech sites and a lot of KVMs (TrendNet, IoGear, Belkin, etc.). Most of the KVMs seem to have varying degrees of success when switching between a Mac and a PC. The only one that I've found so far that gets high praise is this one from ConnectPro, but it doesn't do audio.

Does anyone know a good unit that will also share audio that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? If nothing else, I'd probably buy that unit and do some Radio Shack splitter voodoo to share the speakers, but that's obviously less than ideal. Heck, if there was a good device to share speakers with subwoofers, I'd think about buying that.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've read the DVI KVM switch thread, and while I do use DVI for my Mini, I don't really care about that part. I'm mainly interested in switching the keyboard, mouse, and audio.

Thanks!

http://www.addlogix.com/kvms/embed.a...mdvu_body.html

Might be a little pricy though
( Last edited by Addlogix; Oct 17, 2005 at 01:05 PM. )

Silly Burrito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2005, 08:01 PM

Yeah, it's a bit more than what I wanted to pay for. Is there a VGA version?
I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, don't even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Silly Burrito

Thanks!
If you don't care about video, why not use a program like Synergy and get a cheapo audio switchbox from Radio Shack?
MBP 1.83

dave49er
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2005, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by bujumbura
I use the miniview IOgear http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS632U

Works really well once configured to the desired keystroke.

One consideration though, you can't share any peripherals on the 2 port
I have that one also for my main Mac and Windows boxes. Looking to get another one for my backup systems.

Silly Burrito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by mhuie
If you don't care about video, why not use a program like Synergy and get a cheapo audio switchbox from Radio Shack?
Wow...that might do what I want. I'll have to try that. How in the world does that work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules