Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Multiple inputs, Multiple displays

Multiple inputs, Multiple displays
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2010, 04:21 PM

Just finished moving into my new place, got most of my furniture in place, but I'm still trying to setup the ideal entertainment experience. The idea is that I'll be able to watch multiple games on the multiple TVs/monitors that I have, but right now I'm missing a piece that is going to make this work easily.

Sources (available connections):
Cable box (component/HDMI*)
DirectTV box (component/HDMI)
Xbox360 (component/HDMI*)
BluRay (component/HDMI)
Mac Mini (DVI)
*can only use one or the other, not both

Displays (available inputs):
Panasonic TV (component/DVI/VGA)
Sony TV1 (component/HDMI/VGA)
Sony TV2 (component/VGA)
Sony Monitors x2 (VGA)

I want to have at least the Cable & DirectTV available on all of the monitors, if possible. I'm expecting the Sony Monitors to be the least "possible" since they only have VGA inputs. Budget is $1000. Thoughts?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 04:31 PM

Being that this is the Lounge, I'm required to respond with an off-topic comment right off the bat.

Cable and DirectTV?

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Being that this is the Lounge, I'm required to respond with an off-topic comment right off the bat.

Cable and DirectTV?
I work for the Cable company, so I get 2 cable boxes with all the channels for free. Problem is "All the channels" still doesn't include NFL network & all the games, because we (the cable co) don't carry it. So, basically, I have DirectTV to watch NFL & College Football.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2010, 04:58 PM

That's actually almost exactly what I thought the answer would be (didn't predict college football too)

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2010, 05:34 PM

i use the 4x2 model of this:

For only $165.20 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X4 True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Powered Switch w/ Remote Controller (Rev. 3.0) | Auto/Powered HDMI Switches

so in my case; 4 hdmi sources out to two hdmi monitors. any source can be on any monitor or on both at the same time.

so in your case 4 hdmi sources to 4 hdmi monitors. i know you have 5 sources and 5 monitors, so you would need two of them. obviously you will need hdmi to xxx adapters for monitors with no hdmi. you didn't mention anything about sound. in my solution, audio/video is all done with hdmi. if you want sound, not sure how you will break that out with hdmi adapters on those monitors that don't have em.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2010, 08:32 PM

Looks good. Now I need a way to get DVI + audio to HDMI, and a way to get HDMI to either DVI+audio or Component+audio.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Looks good. Now I need a way to get DVI + audio to HDMI, and a way to get HDMI to either DVI+audio or Component+audio.
Figured out the latter part of this, but still need a nice way to get DVI+Audio into the HDMI switcher...
( Last edited by boy8cookie; Sep 21, 2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: broke my own link)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 22, 2010, 08:22 AM

Get a newer Mini with HDMI built in. Retail value on your current Mini is still ridiculously high, you would still probably remain within your budget.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Budget is $1000. Thoughts?
Buy a good wetsuit and surf more.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Get a newer Mini with HDMI built in. Retail value on your current Mini is still ridiculously high, you would still probably remain within your budget.
Not a bad idea.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Buy a good wetsuit and surf more.
A wetsuit? In Hawaii? hah.

Forum Links
Forum Rules