Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > PowerBook valuation

PowerBook valuation
israces
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2000, 12:22 PM

I'm looking for a ballpark estimate on a PB G3 266/4.3/192 with a VST Superfloppy and ext. keyboard and mouse and software, for evaluation purposes only of course (Office 2001, VPC/Win NT, etc.). A few months ago I saw some going for around $13-1600 (??) on eBay. What do you guys think??
Backup your Backup

Yosemite
Dec 29, 2000, 04:08 PM

I just sold my lombard 333 Mhz for 1500 and lately i've seen them go for about 1200-1350, Check ebay's ended auctions page that should help you.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2000, 11:05 PM

As MWSF draws near, all older model PowerBooks should drop in value. Many poeple will be unloading older models to raise cash for Mercury. If Mercury was not to be such a radical upgrade in performance I would expect less selling of older PowerBooks, but this is possibly going to be huge! G4's and a new form factor should bump up the excitement level like when the G3 PowerBooks first arrived. Remember all the hype? Here comes round two.

------------------
"There is no spoon."
iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

israces  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2000, 02:12 PM

I guess I'm in the same boat as a lot of people who have Wallstreets but didn't jump at Lombard or even Pismo for that matter, but who are expecting Mercury to: 1) really happen this time; 2) be something other than essentially a small speed bump on a G3 or a shiny new case with the same guts as Pismo; and 3) ship sometime soon after the announcement at MW.
My strategy at this point is to throw my PB to the madness that is eBay and let the insane bids roll. I know what I would pay if someone approached me with a Wallstreet and the people on the auction sites are nuts!!
Is this a general trend for all sales on auction sites or is this just what happens when non-Mac users buy in for the first time??
Backup your Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules