Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Simple script to position windows

Simple script to position windows
Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2001, 02:15 PM

Hi,

I know basically nothing about scripting but I would like to be able to have some sort of utility or script that I can activate to quickly move the front-most window (whatever it happens to be at the moment, i.e. web browser, appleworks, finder window) to the upper leftmost corner...

-Tee

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Tee:
<STRONG>Hi,

I know basically nothing about scripting but I would like to be able to have some sort of utility or script that I can activate to quickly move the front-most window (whatever it happens to be at the moment, i.e. web browser, appleworks, finder window) to the upper leftmost corner...

-Tee</STRONG>
Well if you want to do it in AppleScript, the script would be like this:

tell application "Finder"
��set position of window 1 to {5, 41}
end tell

The problem is that not all applications are scriptable. Internet Explorer doesn't even have a Window class. Even if all your apps where you use it are scriptable, I don't know of any way to retrieve the app you want the script to work in. This is because if you were to retrieve the current app, it would just return the script itself.

For someone to right a utility it would have to be an extension or faceless app. Which I don't think is very easy at all.

Tee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2001, 03:35 PM

The problem is that not all applications are scriptable. Internet Explorer doesn't even have a Window class. Even if all your apps where you use it are scriptable, I don't know of any way to retrieve the app you want the script to work in. This is because if you were to retrieve the current app, it would just return the script itself.
Yeah, that seem to be the big problem. There's no way to just say 'move the front window'

For someone to right a utility it would have to be an extension or faceless app. Which I don't think is very easy.
I did find an extension called OmegaWindow+, but it is very unstable on my system... http://www.kagi.com/ahn/ow/

Thanks for your info!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 04:09 PM

The way to say.. move the front window is "set position of window 1 to {...}"

Window 1 = front window, and setting the position means move the window. I am glad you found something though. I will try to search around versiontracker for a better extension for you.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 04:27 PM

QuicKeys from CE Software should be able to handle this for any app.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

<Anonymous>
Nov 21, 2001, 04:41 PM

FYI:
http://www.resexcellence.com/applesc...w.shtml#custom

You could also post your question at
http://macscripter.net 'forums/BBS'

Tom_O
Nov 21, 2001, 04:44 PM

Tee - You could try Program Switcher 5.6 and see what you think of it. &nbsp; I'm running it on OS 9.2.1 and it functions great!

<font color = green>Product Description:</font>
Program Switcher is the premier application management utility. With a simple keystroke, you can switch to, launch, quit, or hide any application. With a similar keystroke, you can switch, close, or hide the windows of an application. As if that is not all, Program Switcher provides a suite of user-programmable hot keys. Program Switcher's features can also be activated by voice commands through the free add-on Application Commander

<font color = blue>Tom</font>

<TriPhaze>
Nov 23, 2001, 05:00 PM

Give KeyQuencer a try. Even the old 1.2.2a shareware version works wonderful with OS 9.2.1.
http://www.montalcini.com/binhex/key-quencer-122a.hqx

It will put windows in the upper left hand corner and also the center of your screen.

Tee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2001, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by &lt;TriPhaze&gt;:
<STRONG>Give KeyQuencer a try. Even the old 1.2.2a shareware version works wonderful with OS 9.2.1.
http://www.montalcini.com/binhex/key-quencer-122a.hqx

It will put windows in the upper left hand corner and also the center of your screen.</STRONG>
KeyQuencer looks great!
It's simple enough for me to understand and it moves the windows exactly like I want 'em.

Forum Links
Forum Rules