Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing)

Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing) (Page 7)
Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2012, 10:23 AM

Dynamometer installed and setup, that was a much larger PITA than I thought it would be. Also their EDtCell software is Windows only (I did get their Dell PC with it pre-loaded). Nothing especially surprising from dyno results, though. The whp numbers seem consistent, ~8-11% lower than previously tested, depending on vehicle weight. I'll just add 10% for my "Dynojet bonus" and it's win-win.

Carl's been cut back to 2 days /wk at his other gig with the Merc dealer, so he gets to spend more time in my shop, which is good. Also we're taking on his cousin as an assistant, he's a solid wrench (strong as a damned ox), if a little hyper. It's very gratifying; sounds of work, ZZ Top playing, the occasional bit of muffled profanity... great stuff.

The Pantera is really going together now, so much for a long Winter project... Oh well, that just means we'll get on the Cobra kit build a little sooner.

I'm just sayin: if that car was available for low-20s in my city, I'd probably make an offer.
I wanted to touch on this for a minute. I've found that prices on many cars fluctuate wildly, depending on geography. The `88 M5, given its condition (and being a 2 owner with full records) would have likely brought the asking price on the Left coast, while here it's a 15-17k car and little more than an oddity to most. However, you should see what 60s Mopar is fetching in these parts, usually they're at a 15-25% premium. Same holds true for my Silver Wraith, I've already been offered double what I paid (it isn't for sale), while in the Pac west and NE they're almost unsalable.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2012, 01:51 PM

This is still in the "napkin drawing" stage, but I can get the property at a low price (former tobacco farming land), and it's near the house, off the beaten track (npi).

Look familiar? Excuse me if it isn't entirely proportioned properly, and ignore the red outer line. What I drew in is what I want to add. This started with some friends complaining that we don't really have a proper track around here, at least not one that isn't so weighed down with regulations that it's almost impossible to have fun, and with an entirely private track we can do a lot more. As long as it isn't open to the public, state and local regulations are surprisingly sparse. We can run the TG segment to get a loose idea of how things match up with their times. The wide center section for 1/4 and 1/2 mi times (it's roughly 3/4 mi long), plus being able to section off parts to simulate a road course. Plus add in a small section of bleachers, a maintenance building (to keep patching equipment and such), service shed, etc.. FWIW, we could possibly use it as a private landing strip somewhere down the line, I suppose, but that introduces a lot of extra regulation. Of course we'd have to fence it all in, and hire a groundskeeper. There'd be private property notices for liability reasons and ironclad waivers signed by the people involved. I think it has a lot of promise.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2012, 02:37 PM

That is a completely awesome idea. One thing to think about is any noise regulations (or neighbour claims for nuisance) - remember to check out that angle if there's any neighbours who might get annoyed at jet planes taking off for hours on end every Saturday.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2012, 06:49 PM

Nah, doubtful it would be a landing strip, that's just a remote possibility we were talking about. I don't want the FAA sniffing all over the place. We'll abide the EPA and make sure it conforms to regulations for such things, but otherwise I want them to stay away. There are no noise ordinances in the county, and this is far from the city. A few cars aren't going to be too obnoxious for noise, it isn't like the Daytona 500 or anything like that. I spoke with the sheriff and he thinks it's a great idea, we get to work off our need for speed without using the public roadways. I've not gotten a ticket around here, but I do get "flashed" and grumpy looks sometimes.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2012, 12:37 AM

Well, if you're going to be a serious collector, you have to start buying serious cars...

7386/width/350/height/700[/IMG]7387/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2012, 07:03 AM

You going to bank the turns on the hypothetical Shaddim International Raceway?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2012, 07:39 AM

That's an F40, isn't it? I've never seen one but I had the massive F40 picture on my wall in the early 90s.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2012, 09:36 AM

What's with the fugly aftermarket spoilers?

Do you intend to restore it to beauty, or are you gonna leave it like that?

Who the hell rices a Ferrari?

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2012, 12:00 PM

It isn't riced, it's an F40 LM, and there are only 19 of them. Technically, it isn't a street car, but I can get it registered.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
You going to bank the turns on the hypothetical Shaddim International Raceway?
No, likely not.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2012, 06:47 PM

The standard F40 is a far cleaner design.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The standard F40 is a far cleaner design.
I'm not denying that, but in terms of performance it isn't even close, you can adjust the boost all the way up to a little over 900bhp w/ 750lb/ft of torque, and it's lighter (slightly) and more durable. The black wing and front splitter can be removed without trouble (bolted on), and there's even a hydraulic ride height system for going over uneven road. No stereo, CC, AC, or any other modern convenience, aside from tilt wheel and manually adjustable seats, but the regular F40 didn't have those either.

With all the racing hardware removed it'll mostly look like a regular model, only this one has; fixed windows, 5pt harness, and will sprint to 100kph in under 3 sec.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2012, 05:13 AM

Sounds legit.

Not a fan of the trim, but in that case, I certainly wouldn't touch it.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2012, 06:10 AM

So... about that picture of your entire fleet...

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Sounds legit.
Not a fan of the trim, but in that case, I certainly wouldn't touch it.
They can be removed and put away for safe keeping. In fact it's a good idea to remove the splitter when you aren't at the track, it can be hazardous to pedestrians and it's relatively fragile (despite being made of CF). At any rate, it'll be a week or more before it arrives, there's a lot of red tape to deal with.

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
So... about that picture of your entire fleet...
Here you go:

7461/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I think she's beautiful, we call her Nessy.
- Thomas Paine

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2012, 11:32 AM

7464/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2012, 12:11 PM

Sorry, I know that was trite. I've not heard of a single case where displaying those types of pictures worked out well for the owners. In most situations they lead to headaches, and I already have enough security issues (unannounced visitors, trespassing, vandalism). We recently had to hire 24hr security because someone climbed a security fence and defaced the garage, then broke a window trying to get in. That's just teens who live nearby, who were eventually caught and had the crap scared out of them, but I can see it potentially getting worse.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2012, 01:58 PM

The Vanq S is now in the hands of the AM service guys for its conversion to a 6-spd manual. I'm excited.
- Thomas Paine

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2012, 05:48 AM

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/12/08/video-car-driver-test-manual-lamborghini-gallardo-lp550-2/

The sound of the shifting metal-on-metal gives me chills... If I could afford a Gallardo it would definitely be the 2WD manual Gallardo LP550-2... it just seems so much more "raw" compared to paddle shifting exotics... and of course if I could afford that- why not slap TTs in it.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2012, 11:50 AM

That is a nice car, IMO it will be the last of the big name supercars with a stick, sadly. We wouldn't have had those if Balboni and some others hadn't complained to the Lamborghini brass. It's a real shame the 458 won't have a limited run with a manual. I suppose it still might, as a last hurrah of 20-30 units, but it's unlikely.

My Gallardo is a manual, but it's AWD with a VFE SC (w/ VB). Torque is the issue there, the parasitic affect of the AWD system on RW torque can't be understated, it's the real shortcoming of the design. A 40% increase in low-end grunt is a lot more obvious than 30% more HP near the top end (though that's nice too). I know there are TT systems that put out higher raw numbers, but the extra power isn't very useful when it's being lost to TC (only causing additional heat and wear). No one's ever accused the Underground Racing guys of being blessed with an overabundance of common sense, however.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
My Gallardo is a manual, but it's AWD with a VFE SC (w/ VB). Torque is the issue there, the parasitic affect of the AWD system on RW torque can't be understated, it's the real shortcoming of the design. A 40% increase in low-end grunt is a lot more obvious than 30% more HP near the top end (though that's nice too). I know there are TT systems that put out higher raw numbers, but the extra power isn't very useful when it's being lost to TC (only causing additional heat and wear). No one's ever accused the Underground Racing guys of being blessed with an overabundance of common sense, however.
Your Gallardo is well equipped with acronyms.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2012, 04:10 PM

Your Gallardo is well equipped with acronyms.
Sure beats typing all that sh*t out. It's a fun drive,
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2012, 05:00 PM

What is VFE SC with VB?

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2012, 05:15 PM

VF Engineering Supercharger with variable boost, self-regulating between 5-7.5 psi.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2012, 05:35 PM

New sleeper in the garage.

7918/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Engine rebuild, Procharger, 5-spd manual, stiffer suspension, and bigger brakes incoming. For looks, all will remain stock, except for new gunmetal grey paint. Stroked, w/ a larger cam, we're targeting 500whp and similar torque.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2012, 07:39 AM

That's the first Maruader I've ever seen outside of PR photos.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 24, 2012, 01:07 PM

That's the first Maruader I've ever seen outside of PR photos.
When I bought my SVT in 2007, they said the previous owner had traded it in on a Marauder. I imagine the transmission swap would make a world of difference in the "fun to drive" arena.

A little weight reduction goes a long way, too:

As it turned out, the Blues Brothers team thrashed away on their cursed machine and got it back into racing condition within an hour. It went back onto the track and was faster than ever, thanks to the weight reduction. In fact, this Crown Victoria turned the fastest lap of the entire race! That time was an absolutely stunning 1:31.474, which was nearly five seconds quicker than the race winner and more than a second quicker than the second-quickest lap (by the Eyesore Racing Frankenmiata).
And speaking of cars, for Christmas, the wife got me a Gotham Dream Car Sprint. Which was a selfish present, really, as it means we fly somewhere for the weekend and spend an hour doing this and the rest of the time shopping, wining, and dining.

You get to choose between a Gallardo or an F430. Since I'm 6'5" and will be wearing a helmet, I'll probably go for the F430, but it should be fun and definitely a unique Christmas gift.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2012, 06:42 PM

Which Gallardo?

The AT in the Merc is pretty awful, one of the worst I've driven in a very long time. Will go with a posi 3.90 as well, I believe it currently has a 2.73.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 25, 2012, 07:07 AM

No idea which one, they do make it clear that neither of the cars is a manual.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No idea which one, they do make it clear that neither of the cars is a manual.
Well then, the DSG in the Ferrari is more refined, while the shifts in the Gallardo are more "race-like" and aggressive (unless they've tweaked the software, which is recommended if you ever want to make one a DD). In terms of power, they'll feel pretty similar (same ballpark P/W); the Lambo is more torquey at the bottom, while the Fezza will make most of its grunt in the upper revs. Then, of course, AWD or RWD. If you want "feel" and excitement, F430, if you want a more grip, Gallardo. Either will make you smile, you can't lose, really.
- Thomas Paine

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2012, 07:03 PM

Don't you have to keep some of these in a climate-controlled building to preserve the materials?

I'm thinking of the older cars you bought, like this Bugatti, and this Auburn. Weren't they made primarily of steel, so they'd rust out easily? Same for the other materials- wood, leather, and so on- don't you have to watch the air quality pretty carefully?

Edit- and did you ever change the color on this beauty? I had a green '78 in college, but always envied the earlier models.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by raleur View Post
Don't you have to keep some of these in a climate-controlled building to preserve the materials?
I'm thinking of the older cars you bought, like this Bugatti, and this Auburn. Weren't they made primarily of steel, so they'd rust out easily? Same for the other materials- wood, leather, and so on- don't you have to watch the air quality pretty carefully?
Edit- and did you ever change the color on this beauty? I had a green '78 in college, but always envied the earlier models.
Your abusive debating style bothers me. I don't come here to fight, because it's a waste of my time. Using terms like "whore", no matter what a person does for a living, or talking down to other members, isn't witty or clever.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2012, 12:25 AM

Your abusive debating style bothers me. I don't come here to fight, because it's a waste of my time. Using terms like "whore", no matter what a person does for a living, or talking down to other members, isn't witty or clever.
What?

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2012, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
What?
Oh, he's pretending to be upset because I called women who perform sex acts for money "whores." And maybe because he made a couple of spectacularly irrational arguments, and I had the nerve to call them dumb.

But I suspect it is because he really doesn't want to answer those questions about his car purchases. PM me and I'll tell you why.

andi*pandi
Dec 28, 2012, 09:59 AM

Last week I rented a Dodge Charger, which was peppy, comfortable, and fun to drive... forwards. Visibility out the back and sides was horrible so backing up was a PITA.

Nice to come home to the Subaru.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2012, 10:11 AM

Oh, he's pretending to be upset because I called women who perform sex acts for money "whores." And maybe because he made a couple of spectacularly irrational arguments, and I had the nerve to call them dumb.
But I suspect it is because he really doesn't want to answer those questions about his car purchases. PM me and I'll tell you why.
I'm not pretending anything, mckenna. You can't have a discussion without showering abuse on people, which coincidentally is what gave you away with this account. You don't agree with someone? Well, you'll just decide to start running your mouth and lose your temper "I'm here to pick a fight" and that sort of nonsense. That's not a debate style, it's childish. Which is further proven in this thread, by trying to call me out regarding my car purchases; yes I do keep temperatures within a cool, yet comfortable range, as well as monitoring humidity (trickle chargers on the batteries are a must too, as well as proper chassis lubrication, and turning steel-belted radials, on cars that aren't driven as often). You don't just park a bunch of classic cars in a metal shed and call it a day, either. But wait, you want to be clever... hey guys, PM me and I'll tell you why.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Last week I rented a Dodge Charger, which was peppy, comfortable, and fun to drive... forwards. Visibility out the back and sides was horrible so backing up was a PITA.
Nice to come home to the Subaru.
Was it an auto or manual (the Charger)? I thought the Challenger was okay, but the visibility and sheer bulk of the thing are real weaknesses in that design.
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Dec 28, 2012, 10:25 AM

Auto. I think most rental companies stick with auto unless you are getting a "special" or 4wd.

Still, fun to try something new.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2012, 11:15 AM

yes I do keep temperatures within a cool, yet comfortable range, as well as monitoring humidity (trickle chargers on the batteries are a must too, as well as proper chassis lubrication, and turning steel-belted radials, on cars that aren't driven as often). You don't just park a bunch of classic cars in a metal shed and call it a day, either
So, how much driving do you do with these classics? Do you take the Auburn out for a spin? Do you have separate garages for different use? How do you get those home, anyway? Pack them up in a truck?

Oh, and did you paint that MGB or not? I think the green would be the best choice.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2012, 12:36 PM

Oh, and why not take your own pictures of the cars you're telling us about? I think everyone would like to see what you've done with those fixer-uppers.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2012, 06:37 PM

Auto. I think most rental companies stick with auto unless you are getting a "special" or 4wd.
I think you're right. Did it have the paddle shifters?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2012, 06:44 PM

So, how much driving do you do with these classics? Do you take the Auburn out for a spin? Do you have separate garages for different use? How do you get those home, anyway? Pack them up in a truck?
Oh, and did you paint that MGB or not? I think the green would be the best choice.

Oh, and why not take your own pictures of the cars you're telling us about? I think everyone would like to see what you've done with those fixer-uppers.
You're awfully demanding. Quid pro quo, Clarice. Why did you switch usernames and try to pass yourself off as someone new?
- Thomas Paine

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2012, 07:14 PM

Well, I just got tired of being Besson.

Your turn. Why do you show pics pasted from websites instead of your actual cars? For example, you did not buy the car pictured here:

Mmmm, I put up an offer for a sort of "family convertible" for the weekends (since all the dropheads we have are 2-seaters). A 1935 Auburn 851SC Phaeton:
Why not show us the one you bought?

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2012, 07:15 PM

Keep the PMs coming, guys- we have a pool going on whether and what the answer will be.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2012, 07:26 PM

Well, I just got tired of being Besson.
Your turn. Why do you show pics pasted from websites instead of your actual cars? For example, you did not buy the car pictured here:

Why not show us the one you did?
You're asking why I showed a picture from the car ad, when the post was made before the car was delivered? When I get access to the TARDIS, I'll get right on that.

I know you aren't besson, try again.
- Thomas Paine

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2012, 07:45 PM

You're asking why I showed a picture from the car ad, when the post was made before the car was delivered? When I get access to the TARDIS, I'll get right on that.
I know you aren't besson, try again.
Oh, well in that case, please provide a link to that ad, and I will humbly apologize.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2012, 08:06 PM

Oh, well in that case, please provide a link to that ad, and I will humbly apologize.
You didn't answer my question.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3507257371.html

There's the link, but it's been gone for a while.
- Thomas Paine

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2012, 08:16 PM

You didn't answer my question.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3507257371.html
There's the link, but it's been gone for a while.
Oh, it's a 404.

Shame, because I was trying to solve a puzzle. Maybe you can help: why did the retired railroad engineer who became a Presbyterian minister sell it so quickly? I mean, he only had it for about two weeks when you bought it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2012, 06:35 AM

Even the cars in Hertz's "Adrenaline" collection (Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger) only come with an auto.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2012, 07:36 AM

Oh, it's a 404.
Shame, because I was trying to solve a puzzle. Maybe you can help: why did the retired railroad engineer who became a Presbyterian minister sell it so quickly? I mean, he only had it for about two weeks when you bought it.
Of course it's a 404, CL ads don't just linger forever.

So mckenna, what's the deal with you changing handles? Why'd you tell everyone you were someone new?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2012, 08:07 AM

Now the thread's all cluttered with that garbage.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules