Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Battery on older iPod

Battery on older iPod
Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 11:15 PM

I'm not sure if anyone would interested on this. Last night, I opened my drawer and found the 10GB iPod (touch-wheel), which I bought back in Aug '02. Obviously, the battery was empty. I was curious how long will a full charge will last. I plugged it into the wall for overnight. I unplugged it at noon, set it to 50% volume, EQ, Soundcheck, and shuffle were off.

The songs I put on were all from the iTunes Store, 128k protected AAC files. I plugged in my enhanced iPod earbud from the 5.5G iPod. The room temperature was about 66F, yea.. it's cold.

I hit play at around 12:10pm. I checked it from time to time until it turned off in between 5:45pm and 6:35pm, since I was at the dinning room.

So, Apple said 10 hours music playback (160 Kbps MP3 files) for this particular iPod model. 4 years and 4 months later, I got about 6 hours off this baby. Is it good or not?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2007, 08:31 AM

6 hours isn't too bad (60% of life after 4 years), but for about $20 you can get a replacement battery that will get your 20 hours if you need it.

You could also try a few charges and discharges to see if it improves slightly, but I wouldn't complain. My 3G gets about 6 hours (out of the original expected 8 hours).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules