Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 700 with custom options from anywhere but Apple?

iBook 700 with custom options from anywhere but Apple?
JeffZPgh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2002, 12:08 PM

I'm still waffling about selling my iBook 500 and replacing it with a 700...are there any site that sell the 700's with more customized options (e.g. 40GB drive rather than the standard 20GB) other than Apple itself? I know the other retailers often offer deals for free additional RAM or whatnot - I'd like to get the most out of the purchase in one shot that I can (since we know Apple never allows retailers to sell the actual machines for less).

I thought someone mentioned getting a 700 with a 30GB disk from a different retailer, but now I can't find the post.

Thanks,
Jeff

<small>[ 06-14-2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: JeffZPgh ]</small>

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2002, 01:24 PM

<a href="http://www.smalldog.com" target="_blank">Small Dog Electronics</a> (a fairly highly regarded Mac retailer if you haven't heard of them before) sells custom 700s:

<a href="http://www.smalldog.com/product/41566" target="_blank">iBook G3/700 128/30gb/Combo</a>

<a href="http://www.smalldog.com/product/41567" target="_blank">iBook G3/700 128/40gb/Combo</a>

All configs are listed <a href="http://www.smalldog.com/category/x/x/Powerbooks+Ibooks/iBooks/Powerbook+Acc/wag103/wag10003/" target="_blank">here</a> - and it looks like you'll have about a week wait for the custom 700s, but if you are really interested I'd just give them a call for a better idea of ship time.

Keep the rubber side down!

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2002, 01:26 PM

Some Apple Authorized Resellers have signed up in the Build-to-Order program (if it's still running). Basically, they can go to a special version of the AppleStore and order that custom job. The place I worked at before my current job was in process of signing up when they went under (about a year ago), and the current place doesn't sell, so I don't know if the program still exists or who's involved.

JeffZPgh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2002, 02:36 PM

Doesn't seem like there's much of a reason to buy from SmallDog over Apple, unless I'm missing something. Same problem, and even longer wait potential if they're just relaying the special order for me.

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2002, 02:45 PM

<a href="http://www.powermax.com" target="_blank">PowerMax</a>

I got iBook 700/12.1/30GB/Combo from them.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2002, 02:46 PM

{double post}

<small>[ 06-14-2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: wunderkind ]</small>
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2002, 05:27 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by JeffZPgh:
<strong>Doesn't seem like there's much of a reason to buy from SmallDog over Apple, unless I'm missing something. Same problem, and even longer wait potential if they're just relaying the special order for me.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Taxes perhaps?

JeffZPgh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2002, 05:40 PM

Hmm, hadn't considered the tax angle.

What's up with SmallDog's "Top Dog Club" - it looks like you can only join it if you've purchased something from them before, and you MUST be a member of the club to put a new Apple product in your shopping cart (I was just trying to test and see if they charged PA sales tax).

Confusing.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2002, 05:46 AM

Very interesting. I doubt I could find a G3 700/14.1"/128MB/20GB anywhere right? Well I doubt you can, but I sure wish there was - otherwise I go for G3 600.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2002, 08:14 AM

The way I understand it, by contract with Apple, Small Dog can't sell online new Macs to customers who have not purchased something in-person in their store atleast once. This doesn't apply to older or refurb Macs bought online.

I guess you have to take a trip to Vermont one day and stop in, buy something, get a 'Top Dog' ID and from then on you'll be able to order new Macs online from Small Dog.

It's bizaare, but for me, it seems kind'a worth the trip. It's about 8 hours away for me. I've never been to Vermont. Do it once and save big bucks on Macs from then on.

The real interest in Small Dog is not you can save on sales tax, it's that you can save sales taxes on Build-to-Order Macs. Standard config I can buy at any of the other Mac retailers and save on taxes.

Maybe do it sometime this summer. What the hell is there to see in Vermont?
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

JeffZPgh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2002, 09:26 AM

Heheh...don't think I'm going to make it to Vermont anytime soon. I'm moving to Prague in a little more than a month and I doubt I'll have time to plan a road trip to New England in the time that's left just to save some sales tax - I'm sure gas alone would outweight the tax advantage.

I take it you weren't happy with the X-Files series finale? It was a bit disappointing.

Jeff

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2002, 09:40 AM

vermont is a nice place. I've been to burlington and middlebury. middlebury in particular has a beautiful campus, and the little college town is nice, too.

JeffZPgh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2002, 04:45 PM

Well, the deed is done. Ordered an iBook 700 12.1" with a 40GB disk and the video adapter from Apple yesterday. Looks like they immediately shipped out the video adapter by itself, which is kind of silly.

Also ordered a 512MB sodimm for it from 18004memory.com; figured I'd splurge while I was at it.

Jeff

Forum Links
Forum Rules