Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Crucial 4GB Upgrade

Crucial 4GB Upgrade
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2009, 01:35 PM

I've been thinking about upgrading the RAM in my 2.4GHz unibody MacBook from 2GB to 4GB (or possibly 6GB). As a bit of a photoshop/lightroom user and one who always has applications open, would the upgrade be worth it? Certainly, it was on my PC! If so, will this void any Apple warranty or? (I can always just put back the old modules in if I need to send it off {which it is at the minute!})

The options are:
2 x 2GB Crucial
1 x 4GB Crucial + 1 x 2GB (Apple?)

The price difference is negligible, and as far as I am aware the new MacBooks can take up to 6GB memory.

Thoughts? Thanks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2009, 01:43 PM

Yes, performance will increase with more RAM. 2GB is not enough for real PS use.

No, installing it yourself will not void your warranty (unless you break something of course).

IOW, go for it.

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yes, performance will increase with more RAM. 2GB is not enough for real PS use.

No, installing it yourself will not void your warranty (unless you break something of course).

IOW, go for it.
Was hoping for an answer like this - thanks Also, I read that 6GB only works on 15" MBPs - wasn't too sure about this - can anyone shed some light as to whether 6GB will work on the 13" MB? (seems that it should..)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2009, 02:06 PM

6GB should work in the UB MacBook just fine. But I haven't verified it myself.

How good's the return policy at the place you're buying?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2009, 05:16 PM

I think that you're supposed to get better performance if you match two of the same kind of DIMM - i.e. 2 x 2 GB - although I'm not sure whether it would be enough of a performance boost to make up for having 2 fewer GB of RAM.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2009, 03:21 AM

It's not. Any 2% performance hit with unpaired DIMMs pales in comparison to the hit you take from swapping. Not enough memory is always the greatest performance hit. Matching on consumer Macs is like permissions repair: grossly overrated. The less people know about their Macs, the greater they think the benefit is. The truth is: if you're swapping more RAM is always better.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2009, 04:25 PM

For what it's worth, my old PB was originally running 512MB of RAM. I ordered a 1GB stick off Crucial. The two sticks weren't paired, obviously, but damn I noticed a huge speed hit!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules