Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to get latest OS on DVD? Reinstall is a pain.

How to get latest OS on DVD? Reinstall is a pain.
rslifka
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2006, 11:22 AM

With so many updates since Tiger, it's becoming a pain to reinstall.

Is there a way to exchange my Tiger (10.4.0) for something up to date (10.4.6) with all of the latest software updates integrated? I would mind reinstalling a lot less. Does Apple have some kind of disc swap they'll do?

I remember reinstalling XP when SP2 came out. It took almost as long to update the OS as it did to install it.

Rob

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 11:33 AM

Why not simply stop reinstalling all the time instead?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:18 PM

Thats not constructive help is it Tetenal. If he has a need to re-install, he needs to re-install : I have reinstalled 3 times in the last 2 weeks because I have been experimenting with the whole XP on Intel mac thing.

rslifka: I don't think you can do what you want to do - when you buy a retail version of Mac OSX, it still comes with 10.4.3, so Apple doens't even have a (public) install CD with 10.4.6
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

rslifka  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I don't think you can do what you want to do - when you buy a retail version of Mac OSX, it still comes with 10.4.3, so Apple doens't even have a (public) install CD with 10.4.6
Thanks hj. The reason I ask is that I just got my machine back from the Apple store after I was getting some hard locks. He did some kind of partial reinstall. My setup looks and feels identical, but all the apps are kind of screwy because of permission (which I fixed to no avail).

He said he put a "clean install of 10.4.5" on the machine, so maybe internally they have access to these discs to save them time on installs.

Or maybe they just use some kind of Mac-ghost program

Rob

Madrag
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 01:54 PM

you can save an image of a freshly installed OS and restore it.
Do a search in this forum for details, as it has been discussed many times.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 09:00 PM

The best you can get is 10.4.3 and use a combo updater from there. Otherwise, use mirrored backups (as Madrag says) of the fully updated fresh installs to restore. It requires less steps and interaction to restore. Then you don't even have to recreate accounts or other OS settings.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

rslifka  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2006, 11:09 PM

Hey guys, I've been searching the forum (and Google) and I can't find these posts about imaging a fresh install. Would you be able to point me to one?

TIA,

Rob

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2006, 12:36 AM

--Laurence

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 12:50 AM

Oh, whenever it gets to be too long since the last DVD OS release, I just buy a new Mac and use the install DVD from that.
j/k, kind of.

Forum Links
Forum Rules