Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple UK dispute - advice please

Apple UK dispute - advice please
SunilC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2005, 07:50 AM

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a new 12" iBook from the online Apple store in the UK. The iBook was bought for a relative, I myself have a current model 12” powerbook. On receiving the iBook I found that it was missing two items - 1. The UK 3pin plug connector which attaches to the power supply (as opposed to connecting the thick extension cable) and 2. a vga connector to connect it to an external projector/monitor.

I called Apple customer services who put me through to the technical team. The man I dealt with said he’d send out the two missing items. I received them a few days later. The first item, the plug, was correct. The second was not. They had sent me a DVI to VGA adapter. This is where the dispute arose. I called Apple again and spoke to someone else in the technical team. I explained to him what had happened and after staying on hold for around 20 mins he came back and said that the iBook doesn’t ship with a VGA adapter. I told him he was mistaken but he refused to budge. I then quoted this from the Apple’s iBook specs on their website “Video mirroring supports VGA video out to an external display or projector (requires included Apple VGA Video Adapter)” and this from the online store “ In the Box - iBook G4 – VGA Display Adapter…”

He then said that the item I had received (the full DVI to VGA adapter) was what it meant on their website by Apple VGA Video Adapter. I told him the iBook doesn’t even have a full DVI port, it’s a mini port so why on earth would Apple ship an adapter which doesn’t even fit with the iBook. To that he replied that you are supposed to go out and buy a mini DVI to DVI adapter and connect that to the DVI to VGA adapter! Now I’ve never bought an iBook before so I couldn’t be 100% sure that he was talking rubbish. I just assumed it comes with the same VGA adapter as my powerbook did – a mini DVI to VGA apapter (part no. M8639G/A). Please could someone confirm this for me?

Thanks in advance.
Sunil

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2005, 10:44 AM

I have two iBooks, G3 and G4 - see sig.
Both of them have come with a Mini DVI to VGA adaptor and i suspect yours should have to.

I'd call them back or go into an Apple shop if you live in London/Manchester etc.

SunilC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by seanc
I have two iBooks, G3 and G4 - see sig.
Both of them have come with a Mini DVI to VGA adaptor and i suspect yours should have to.

I'd call them back or go into an Apple shop if you live in London/Manchester etc.
Thanks for they reply, I did call them back and spoke to someone else. After staying on hold for around 30 mins they finally admitted that they made a mistake and arranged to send out the mini dvi to vga adapter. In total I had spent over 90 mins on the phone over 3 calls to get this part sorted! I complained to one of the managers about the previous operator though and how he just wouldn't listen to me even though I was right and he was talking rubbish! He apologised lots and said he would send feedback to the operator's manager. Fingers crossed that I receive the correct part this time!!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2005, 09:37 AM

Being right is the least of your position. You also have to be aware that 99% of everyone who calls tech support is a moron, and tech support phone people are taught to deal with THAT. They work from scripts, and those scripts do not take into account that their customer may have a clue-this is the major problem with ALL telephone tech support.

Instead of being stubborn, you should have used your head. "What part number is it supposed to be? What I got was part #xxxxxxxx." would have gotten a different response, one like "I'll have to check with my supervisor about that." You see the issue with moron customers? Tons of morons can say "you sent me the wrong part" (and the person you talked to DID NOT send you anything-remember that!), but pointing out that you have an actual part number is a different thing. It steps well away from the script and usually triggers at least reference to the supervisor, maybe even transfer to a different tier of support.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules