Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > replace MBP or no

replace MBP or no
jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2006, 10:35 PM

as many of you may know some MBP's have a significant gap problem. now i know that it's really petty to complain about it, but as someone else said i spend $2500 dollars on this thing to have it be perfect proformance wise it is, but i also have some wiggle room in the battery, i have one dead pixel in the middle of the screen and my Mag Safe is starting to get a little bent up. Don't get me wrong i LOVE my MBP but should i say ya know i bought this MBP to have it perfect. now i've had it 1 month this thursday, what should i do? i bought it from apple.com can i take it to a store and have it done that way or do i call apple care? or should i just stick it out and stop being so picky.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2006, 10:41 PM

I feel your pain, but you know, your MBP isn't going to stay perfect forever, even if it's perfect to begin with. I dropped my old powerbook when it was only a couple of weeks old, it had a huge dent on the corner, gaps in the casing, and the battery never fitted properly again. I felt like crying when it happened, but I got two years great use out of the machine and hardly ever noticed the cosmetic damage. At the end of the day, if it doesn't affect the machine's working capabilities, I would say stick with it. Laptops don't stay "perfect" for long.

ChillyWilly5280
Apr 5, 2006, 12:41 AM

Hey, you paid $2,500 and considering it is a first gen product, id say these are the defects that go along with it. So what really is the harm in asking apple for a new one given that these are problems across the boad? I mean your only asking...but as mintcake said, I dont doubt that this will last you for sometime to come. Although im not so sure with my notebook...goddamn magsafe failures are getting to anger me, and ive heard theres another 2-3 from apple today!

-Justin

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by nitropaintball
... considering it is a first gen product ...
Why do you people keep repeating this myth that there are more problems with a first gen product? I had the LAST revision of the Titanium PowerBook and it had WAY more issues than my MBP has. And if you look at other lines, you'll see similar things. Recalled iBooks years down the line, problems with PowerMac fans months into development ...

Wevah
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 04:40 PM

And my first-gen TiBook worked well for almot 5 years (at which point I received my MacBook).
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by jhonizzle
as many of you may know some MBP's have a significant gap problem. now i know that it's really petty to complain about it, but as someone else said i spend $2500 dollars on this thing to have it be perfect proformance wise it is, but i also have some wiggle room in the battery, i have one dead pixel in the middle of the screen and my Mag Safe is starting to get a little bent up. Don't get me wrong i LOVE my MBP but should i say ya know i bought this MBP to have it perfect. now i've had it 1 month this thursday, what should i do? i bought it from apple.com can i take it to a store and have it done that way or do i call apple care? or should i just stick it out and stop being so picky.
If you are close to an Apple Store then take it in and show them all the issues you are not happy with. Be firm yet polite.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2006, 01:08 PM

depends on the store... part of the reason... i think the main reason MBPs have all the problems they do is because apple is unwilling to admit that anything is wrong... that said i think you might not have an easy time returning it to a store to get a replacement...

you bought it online no? if you made any changes to the HD they wont change your machine no matter what... even with all the kernel panics i had with my machine all they did is run a hardware test. and press a few keys...
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

jhonizzle  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2006, 05:04 PM

well, i actually sent Apple.com an E-Mail the night i posted this thread just to see what they would do, the next day sitting in my E-Mail was a pre-printed Label from Fed-Ex and Apple.com saying to ship in my MBP, sure enough today Monday April 10, 2006 (i shipped it back on wednesday night) i'm now typing on my brand new Flawless (besides one dead pixel, that i don't notice) and perfectly content with Apple's Customer Service! sorry to those who didn't think i should send it back, but i'm a perfectionest, and my MBP will stay flawless for as long as i have it.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 05:40 PM

well, i actually sent Apple.com an E-Mail the night i posted this thread just to see what they would do, the next day sitting in my E-Mail was a pre-printed Label from Fed-Ex and Apple.com saying to ship in my MBP, sure enough today Monday April 10, 2006 (i shipped it back on wednesday night) i'm now typing on my brand new Flawless (besides one dead pixel, that i don't notice) and perfectly content with Apple's Customer Service! sorry to those who didn't think i should send it back, but i'm a perfectionest, and my MBP will stay flawless for as long as i have it.
I'm glad you got a new MBP. I happen to agree with the sentiment that if you receive a product that either does not look like or does not perform as advertised you have a right to return it whether its a first generation product or not. I have MBP that had a crooked key(stuck straight up in the air) and I went to Apple store and they fixed it. Apple charges a premium price for their equipment, so you should have high expectations.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 06:13 PM

isnt there a utility to "burn-in" lcd screens that sometimes "unsticks" dead pixels?

jhonizzle  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2006, 06:51 PM

just search these forums for dead pixel, and i posted a video thats supposed to fix it, it didn't work on my old MBP we'll see about this one

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 08:25 AM

Glad to hear it turned out well!

I should have mine back by Thursday and I hope I get the same results. Less the dead pixel of course
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Forum Links
Forum Rules