Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Apple Intros "Boot Camp" for dual-booting

Apple Intros "Boot Camp" for dual-booting (Page 6)
production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Doubt it. If Apple wanted to ditch Mac OS X they wouldn't be releasing 10.5. My guess is they're trying to do the OS/2 thing in reverse (of course this would assume Apple is working on Dharma, which I still think is true, which I predicted was true along with Apple working on running Windows on a Mac.)
I'm also a Dharma believer.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Apr 5, 2006, 10:27 PM

The sad thing is that it will be faster to run photoshop in XP for the next year.

"Hello, what have we here?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
The sad thing is that it will be faster to run photoshop in XP for the next year.
Maybe so, but I'd still run it on the Mac side... just plain more "at home." And I worked in Windows (at work) for two years.

Windows just doesn't feel natural!
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves
Whoah..... I hope this will bring more people over.
Whoa indeed! Thought this was some sort of spoof at first.

finboy
Apr 5, 2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
this can go one of two ways, either more people use macs - or the mac is doomed. Doomed I tell you!

Most people I know who use Mac prefer it to Windows - even people who are lifelong Windows users. So hoping this is good.

Suppose for companies Macs are now on the radar because they can now run Windows and tentatively try OS X. Leopard had better really knock the spots off Vista.
I think it spells the eventual end of OS X. Macs may continue to be a "specialty" machine, but it will never be more -- why pay the big prices just to run OS X? Consumers won't keep doing it. When the iPod finishes its run, look out.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Next stop, Vanderpool/VT enabled simultaneous dual booting; that's much more interesting than repeating the success of a 3rd party hacker weeks later.
I agree completely. The minute Intel Power Macs are available, there is a fast virtualisation solution for OS X that I can run Linux (no interested in Windows) in a window I'll have to upgrade.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
I think it spells the eventual end of OS X. Macs may continue to be a "specialty" machine, but it will never be more -- why pay the big prices just to run OS X?
As opposed to before, when the reason to pay the big prices was... to run OS X?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 11:26 PM

So now the only reason to buy a Mac is if you like the hardware and to run OS X…and the Mac will not get many game ports.

Sounds like business as usual.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 11:35 PM

I think it spells the eventual end of OS X. Macs may continue to be a "specialty" machine, but it will never be more -- why pay the big prices just to run OS X? Consumers won't keep doing it. When the iPod finishes its run, look out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but OS X isn't going anywhere. Anyone who already owns a Mac obviously prefers to use OS X. Worst that happens is all the OS X users stay using OS X, and anyone new on the platform just runs Windows. Same number of Mac and Windows users as before.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 12:01 AM

And you'll be able to cut and paste your graphics to...?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Apr 6, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
And you'll be able to cut and paste your graphics to...?
Huh?

"Hello, what have we here?

greenamp
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:06 AM

Oh please. So what you're saying is, now that Macs can dual-boot Windows, people will quit buying Macs? Does that really make sense to you?

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 01:03 AM

Awesome! Apple just kept me as a customer.
I love OS X on my imac 800 iLamp and have been trying to decide between getting an intelMac or just getting a PC. I don't really need some of the nice things i love about OS X, but I would love to be able to play some battlefront 2 or similar games with friends/family around the country. I'd also like to be able to run microsoft flight simulator and some PC only flight planning software. I'm not the type that would buy 2 computers in one cycle just 2 have a mac and be able to do those things. Now I don't have to worry about the choice.

I just hope apple can make internet browsing as fast on a mac as it is on a pc or a lot of people might start spending a lot more time in windows. In the end though, I think this is great for apple.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2006, 02:27 AM

I've installed it and it works for the most part except for the builtin isight and the fancy keyboard features.

Darwine is more of a threat to OS X apps than dual booting. The latter is inconvienient but the former would make OS X an OS/2 in some developer's eyes.

Windows compatibility within OS/2 killed OS/2, not dual booting.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2006, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
I just hope apple can make internet browsing as fast on a mac as it is on a pc or a lot of people might start spending a lot more time in windows.
Mac users don't seem to like talking about this.

I haven't a lot of experience using windows; other than to notice that web browsing seems faster with every windows machine I've ever come into contact with.

A lot of people are saying "wahoo!, I don't need two machines anymore" Isn't all that rebooting going to be a hassle?

Still, no windows for me, sounds like a bloody nightmare.

Good luck everyone.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by OB1
Mac users don't seem to like talking about this.

I haven't a lot of experience using windows; other than to notice that web browsing seems faster with every windows machine I've ever come into contact with.
Enough people say that's the case that I assume it must be, but I have honestly never noticed it in all my years of jumping back and forth between platforms.

Originally Posted by OB1
A lot of people are saying "wahoo!, I don't need two machines anymore" Isn't all that rebooting going to be a hassle?
If you don't use Windows a whole lot, there won't be "all that rebooting," I guess.
Chuck
___

eddie8t
Apr 6, 2006, 06:10 AM

Is there any way to upgrade to 10.4.6 then install a new intel chip on my year old iMac G5? I am 99% sure it's impossible due to mobo differences but this new news piques my interest.

Super Mario
Apr 6, 2006, 06:11 AM

Guys I have some good news.

The final version of Boot Camp included with Leopard will support Intel VT virtualization technology. Mac OS X users will be able to switch between their favorite operating system and Windows (any x86 OS) at the flick of a switch, er press of a key

When we asked them what about Mac Intel's without VT the reply was

They will have to reboot into Windows

Also the minimum recommended memory is 1 GB. No other info at present even though we asked what will the performance of VT be like compared with rebooting.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:26 PM. )

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 06:26 AM

Super Mario: what's the source of those quotes ? And what chips support VT - not the Core Duos ?

Super Mario
Apr 6, 2006, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Super Mario: what's the source of those quotes ? And what chips support VT - not the Core Duos ?
Core Duo has no VT. Merom and Conroe do.

The quotes are from Jules who used to be a member here for a long time and is now starting his own site. I'll post a link soon.

ksloan2
Apr 6, 2006, 07:33 AM

Not sad. A life saver for me, and a big THANK YOU to Apple for releasing this!

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Correct me if I'm wrong, but OS X isn't going anywhere. Anyone who already owns a Mac obviously prefers to use OS X. Worst that happens is all the OS X users stay using OS X, and anyone new on the platform just runs Windows. Same number of Mac and Windows users as before.
that's up to apple. they could stop supporting os x and put everything behind the ipod and hardware. maybe avie saw the writing on the wall.

in the near term i think sales will go up and people will try the mac os, but i think eventually people will migrate to one or the other os. the next five to ten years should be interesting.
one post closer to five stars

Super Mario
Apr 6, 2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by dav
that's up to apple. they could stop supporting os x and put everything behind the ipod and hardware. maybe avie saw the writing on the wall.

in the near term i think sales will go up and people will try the mac os, but i think eventually people will migrate to one or the other os. the next five to ten years should be interesting.
It's a better upgrade path for existing Windows users. Instead of buying an ugly machine with Vista they can buy a Mac with Leopard and still use their old copy of XP, Windows apps and games. They get the best of all worlds.

Why wouldn't they upgrade to Vista? Because it's an ugly messy sin.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 08:30 AM

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

well, it looks like we may not have to wait for Leopard or bother with Boot Camp for Windows on a Mac... native virtualized windows in tiger on current Intel Macs.

"I start fires!"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
So now the only reason to buy a Mac is if you like the hardware and to run OS X…and the Mac will not get many game ports.

Sounds like business as usual.
… and this is different from yesterday's situation how now exactly …?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2006, 10:02 AM

Boot Camp question - do we know how easy it is to remove the XP partition once created? I can see myself needing those ten gigs back.

edit - OK, sorry, I hadn't read the installation guide. I see you can use Boot Camp to remove it.
( Last edited by mintcake; Apr 6, 2006 at 10:54 AM. )

Y3a
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 10:44 AM

LINUX, UNIX and Mac OS X will be around as long as MS keeps delivering a security horror of an OS. They haven't done it in 15 years so I think they are incapable of that task. MS management has had it's collective head in the dark for over a decade and they lack the basic requirements to actually innovate so nothing exciting will happen with it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jrstack3
Is there any way to upgrade to 10.4.6 then install a new intel chip on my year old iMac G5? I am 99% sure it's impossible due to mobo differences but this new news piques my interest.
Nope.
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Guys I have some good news.
Oh yeah, just friggin wonderful.

"And in an unexpected turn of events, Mac users rejoice and Apple stock rockets over the prospect of running Windows!"

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Super Mario
Apr 6, 2006, 11:38 AM

What is there not to rejoice about? Now Windows users have a strong reason to buy a Mac and make a direct comparison with OS X. Are you scared they will say Windows is better
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:06 PM. )

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 11:39 AM

Seriously, it's not like this is going to convert and Mac users. God, I'm excited, yet I can barely think of 2 or 3 things I'll be needing XP for.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 11:50 AM

Early reports from WoW Mac users indicate that WoW runs as much as 20-40% faster under Windows than it does under OS X on their Intel Macs.

WTF is up with that Apple?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 11:51 AM

Question.

when you boot back into the Mac OS is there a folder that has a bunch of scattered windows files in it or is the whole windows partition a disk image like in VPC?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 11:59 AM

What is there not to rejoice about? Now Windows users have a strong reason to buy a Mac and make a direct comparison with OS X. Are you scared they will say Windows is better
For some, Windows is better. It's better for games. My bank supports Quicken, but not Quicken for Mac. You can get MS Office for pretty cheap when buying a PC. Office for Mac is really damned expensive.

When they can get it to where I don't have to reboot in order to run a Windows app, then I'll go back to OS X. Until then, I'm stuck. I'm willing to quit playing games and to manually download & import for Quicken, but $400 for MS Office pisses me off.

Super Mario
Apr 6, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Early reports from WoW Mac users indicate that WoW runs as much as 20-40% faster under Windows than it does under OS X on their Intel Macs.

WTF is up with that Apple?
1 The drivers translate Windows ROM calls to Mac ROM calls

2. Who are these people making reports who have dual core Macs and Windows with the same GPUs. Where are these benchmarks online?

3 It's ****ing fast enough anyway

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:03 PM

For those of you who don't want to reboot, and don't want the emulation of VPC slowing you down, here is a new option that looks like it may be good. http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/06/p...rtual-machine/

No reboot, no emulation. But you do need enough resources (RAM mainly) to handle running both at the same time.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:05 PM

I have been benching it all morning on my MBP. With all max setting exect for smooth mouse I average 35fps-55fps. I would get like 10fps on the mac version. I have a thread going on the focal wow mac tech support forums with some fps averages.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:08 PM

2. Who are these people making reports who have dual core Macs and Windows with the same GPUs. Where are these benchmarks online?

3 It's ****ing fast enough anyway
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...c-tech-support
Actually Mac WoW players reporting their framerates using Windows and OS X on Intel Macs.

PS, I specifically mentioned WoW only.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Liquidity X
I have been benching it all morning on my MBP. With all max setting exect for smooth mouse I average 35fps-55fps. I would get like 10fps on the mac version. I have a thread going on the focal wow mac tech support forums with some fps averages.
Then maybe this will be an incentive for Apple to write better drivers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Super Mario
Apr 6, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...c-tech-support
Actually Mac WoW players reporting their framerates using Windows and OS X on Intel Macs.

PS, I specifically mentioned WoW only.
WTF are you guys doing drugs or what?

Gaming is faster in XP than OSX because their GPUs aren't busy sharing resources with Quartz Extreme too. The post on this page said XP gaming on the Mac is MUCH slower than XP gaming on another Intel machine. Not true

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...mp=1#post22328

greenamp
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:23 PM

Gaming is faster in XP than OSX because their GPUs aren't busy sharing resources with Quartz Extreme too. The post on this page said XP gaming on the Mac is MUCH slower than XP gaming on another Intel machine. Not true

Geezus man calm the **** down. I was just reporting what some people are experiencing running WoW in Windows on Intel Macs. Whatever reason they are getting better performance in Windows is no excuse.

I'm not saying these are scientific benchmarks. To be most accurate they would need to play WoW on fresh Installs of both OS X and Windows.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 12:42 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 12:45 PM

Gaming is faster in XP than OSX because their GPUs aren't busy sharing resources with Quartz Extreme too.
Source? 'Cause I ain't buying it.
Chuck
___

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Apr 6, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Source? 'Cause I ain't buying it.
That has been discussed to death since 10.0 came out. It's true I am afraid.

I'm playing Galaxies.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
That has been discussed to death since 10.0 came out. It's true I am afraid.
Quartz Extreme wasn't around until Jaguar.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 01:51 PM

Gaming is faster in XP than OSX because their GPUs aren't busy sharing resources with Quartz Extreme too.
That statement simply isn't true... there are a number of reasons why Mac games are slower... but there isn't a quick fix. Some of the issues are below the surface of OpenGL... between the framework/drivers and hardware... but again, just fixing that wouldn't make the game faster.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050315-4704.html

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 01:51 PM

The point of Quartz Extreme and Core Image is that it offloads the GUI to the graphics chipset.

DirectX offloads the GUI and game graphics where, exactly? Also the GPU.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2006, 02:03 PM

Wrong. When a game goes full screen all the fancy interface rendering stuff shuts off.

There are issues with speed in the kernel however.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 02:03 PM

These words about Boot Camp from a MS representative are kinda hilarious:

"Windows is a great operating system. We're pleased that Apple customers are excited about running it, and that Apple is responding to meet the demand."

Yes dude, we are giving up on Mac OS X… LOL

Forum Links
Forum Rules