Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unwelcome developments on my MBP

Unwelcome developments on my MBP
mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2006, 08:39 AM

The MBP is about a month old now and in the last few days (ever since WOPR's 100% happy thread actually) I've had a few problems with user switching, powering down and putting it to sleep. It's not consistent, but happens once or twice a day. The computer will not shut down or restart, forcing a hard power down. Once it hasn't let me log out as a user. Once it hasn't gone to sleep properly (oscillating sleep light comes on, but fan is running and the case is extremely hot with the lid closed - on opening the lid the power light is on but the screen is dead - again a hard power down was needed).

I've also noticed that the machine is running much hotter now than it did in the first couple of weeks that I had it. Could it be related to 10.4.6? In the old days I'd have tried repairing permissions but now John Gruber tells us it's all voodoo, and anyway since 10.4.6 it's been telling me that nothing needs repairing.

edit - forgot also to mention the Finder crashing a couple of times.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2006, 11:29 AM

backup your data, do an archive and reinstall of the OS. You'll be set if the problem is only software.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2006, 10:11 PM

Yeah, sounds like a software problem to me too.
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2006, 11:40 PM

Hey Mint, good to see ya in this thread (i remember u from the "did anyone recieve their mbp yet"). I've also had my mbp for about a month now and haved encountered a few instances where sleeping/hard resetting became necessary. There has also been some weird instances where I needed to restart to get my widgets to show up and installing new software. It's odd. But for the most part it's been pretty stable and treating me well.

As for the temperature issue, i've read through many threads and found to have similiar issues. At times the "memory" or upper left portion of the mbp does get quite hot. But what I ultimtaly think the answer to the temperature fluctuating was what the mbp was resting on.

I have had my mbp on quite a few different surfaces and from a common sense point of view, it makes a world of difference in how warm it gets.

I wouldn't really worry about it, i think we'll just have to deal with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules