Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 27)
Brien
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 03:50 PM

Hot dang, that's a great deal. I already have the add-on, but I may just get a standalone now!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 06:43 PM

The 'Get 5 Free HD DVDs' promotion/gimmick doesn't do a thing to me. I would love to give HD DVD a try even though I'm happy with Blu-ray, so the HD-A2 offers upto 1080[b]i[/i] resolution?

gee.. the small print is just hard to read.
"1080p capable display required for 1080p output resolution."

The design of the set-top box doesn't look that slick, what's the UI/onscreen menu look like?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
The 'Get 5 Free HD DVDs' promotion/gimmick doesn't do a thing to me. I would love to give HD DVD a try even though I'm happy with Blu-ray, so the HD-A2 offers upto 1080[b]i[/i] resolution?

gee.. the small print is just hard to read.
"1080p capable display required for 1080p output resolution."

The design of the set-top box doesn't look that slick, what's the UI/onscreen menu look like?
The A2 outputs 1080i. All the same info present in a 1080p signal is also present in a 1080i signal (since the source is only 24 fps anyway). However, whether or not your TV deals with 1080i well is different question.

If you want an HD DVD player that does 1080p, you need the A20, or the XA2.

P.S. The vast majority of TVs out there can't even understand a 1080p input, so if you have one of those and plan on keeping it a while, I wouldn't bother spending extra on a 1080p player.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 12:16 AM

HD DVD vs. Blu-ray standalone stats in Europe

(Includes UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland. Does not include PS3 or 360 HD DVD)

Blu-ray: 2665
HD DVD: 7432

Conclusion? Standalone Hi-Def player sales are quite low in Europe.
( Last edited by Eug; May 17, 2007 at 12:22 AM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2007, 10:36 AM

Fascinating. Especially because there have been over 100 times as many PS3s sold as standalone HD-DVD players, and 300 times as many as standalone Blu-ray players (PS3 sales in Europe said to be "nearly 800,000" last month). Do we have any stats about movie purchases in Europe?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 10:41 AM

Dammit:
Sorry to bust your bubble boys, but to qualify for the instant rebates, the product must be purchased at suggested minimum pricing shown on the invoice, followed by the $100.00 credit shown as a line item. This was made very clear in the note from Toshiba several weeks ago announcing the rebate program.

Dealers are not receiving the entire $100.00 credit back as part of this promotion. Forget about A2's at $199.00. They will be $299.00 after the rebate, A20's are $399.00 after the rebate, and XA2's are $699.00 after rebate. The five free DVD promotion is still in place until July 31st. I am sure that aggressive retailers like Robert at VE will have something in place to provide the best possible deal to his customers, given the parameters of the rebate program.
$299 ain't bad (esp. with the 5 HD DVDs), but it's not outstanding either.
( Last edited by Eug; May 17, 2007 at 10:50 AM. )

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 01:32 PM

"Blade Runner" is apparently coming to both formats in October (or at least to HD DVD in October and, one assumes, Blu-ray at some later date). I wonder what the picture quality will be like? There was a lot of optical processing in the movie.

Then again, I had real reservations about "Dune" on HD DVD and was surprised that it looks pretty good. There are some grainy effects-heavy shots but overall it's impressive. If "Blade Runner" looks as good I'll happily upgrade.

Now to decide if I want the "standard" "Matrix" HD DVD set or the "deluxe," since apparently the special features aren't in HD...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 18, 2007, 02:12 PM

Here is an important question.

Since HDDVD has been cheaper by 50% of more since day one and got a 6 month head start on BR, you can get an add on for your Xbox for under $200 with movies then why is BR outselling it?

Could the only reason be movie selection?

The fathers day discount on the HD-DVD is nice for the consumer and all but I heard from the beginning that Toshiba was selling players are near cost. This extra discount smells a bit of desperation to me.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The fathers day discount on the HD-DVD is nice for the consumer and all but I heard from the beginning that Toshiba was selling players are near cost. This extra discount smells a bit of desperation to me.
Sony is selling their PS3's for way under cost to push Bluray, and that doesn't smell of desperation to you?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2007, 02:30 PM

Um, no. Assuming it works, it was a sound business tactic (although one that has the unfortunate side-effect of making the system too expensive for a lot of people). How could a plan that Sony has had since before either format was launched possibly be a result of "desperation?"

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 18, 2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Sony is selling their PS3's for way under cost to push Bluray, and that doesn't smell of desperation to you?
Since all printers pretty much do the same do they fall under it also?
If the PS3 was already getting $100 discounts and came with 5 games that would have you up in arms screaming desperation in a second.

So what is the reason for the discounts then? Toshiba saw how well all the players are selling and they decided they wanted to make less money?
If most people don't want it at $400 I don't see it flying off the shelves at $300.

But if you get it with the $100 you save you can spend it on all the movies HD doesn't have

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 02:45 PM

Sweet. I knew it was a matter of time before someone tried to do this...

John Woo's 'Hard Boiled' to Make HD Debut in First Blu-ray Game/Movie Hybrid

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2007, 02:45 PM

Here is an important question.

Since HDDVD has been cheaper by 50% of more since day one and got a 6 month head start on BR, you can get an add on for your Xbox for under $200 with movies then why is BR outselling it? Could the only reason be movie selection?
Cuz the PS3 is still a powerful weapon in the format war. Three million PS3s with Blu-ray players is nothing to sneeze at. However, it's not the killer weapon that Sony had hoped. Sony failed to launch as early as they'd hoped (as did Toshiba), and Sony failed to get the number of units sold they had wanted. They also have a very low movie software attachment rate. Hence, Sony couldn't deal its killer blow. And with the PS3's continued poor sales numbers, it's unlikely they'll deal that killer blow any time soon.

You mean like Panasonic slashing their player's price by half?

Anyways, even back in 2005 Toshiba had already indicated to the world that its strategy with HD DVD would be based on price. It seems like Toshiba is just doing exactly what they said 2 years ago that they'd do.

Remember, unlike companies like Pioneer and Panasonic, Toshiba's intent is not to bring home the bacon based on Toshiba-branded hardware sales. They're after the licencing money. Toshiba will make that money off every single HD DVD player sold, and every single disc sold.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Sweet. I knew it was a matter of time before someone tried to do this...

John Woo's 'Hard Boiled' to Make HD Debut in First Blu-ray Game/Movie Hybrid
That's kinda cool actually, although I'd rather just have the movie without the game.

Hard Boiled is a great movie BTW.
( Last edited by Eug; May 18, 2007 at 02:53 PM. )

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 07:12 PM

Anyone pre-order or going to get the Pirates of the Caribbean BR-release?

Oversoul
Senior User
May 18, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Anyone pre-order or going to get the Pirates of the Caribbean BR-release?
Pre-ordered at Amazon. Initial reviews from those who got it early at AVS Forum rave about the picture quality. High Def Digest has glowing reviews on both video and audio too.

May 22 is going to be a big Blu-ray day for me: Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest, Letters from Iwo Jima, Flags of Our Fathers, and Apocolypto!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2007, 08:09 PM

I have the second Pirates movie preordered on Blu-ray. I can't really justify ordering the first since I have it on DVD already and it's not like I'm going to be watching THAT often. I'll get it eventually, I imagine.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 12:37 AM

That's great. I also read the reviews on High-Def Digest. Although I have netflix, I would definitely like to own the blu-ray releases and leave room for the Closer BR on my queue.

Next week is gonna be huge for Disney in stores and theaters.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2007, 01:25 AM

I just saw an HD DVD ad from Microsoft, which I downloaded from Xbox Live Marketplace.
It's got to be the lamest ad ever.

The ad starts out with one guy breakdancing. He's wearing a DVD shirt.
Then six guys come out and breakdance too. They're wearing HD DVD shirts.

Then we get text on the screen:

"DVD has evolved. Six times the resolution. Six times the wow. Hi-Def movies - up to 1080p."

What the hell is that? It's like some ad agency is channelling Bill Gates while attempting to connect with black youth.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2007, 02:55 AM

Guess I found that ad on youtube.
YouTube - xbox- hd dvd

I don't get the concept here. Six people doing break dance instead of one... so instead of focusing on one person, I have to watch 6 of them at once now.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2007, 04:01 AM

Kind of reminds me of this Sony ad, at least in terms of the basic concept. The MS one is super lame, though. Wow.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 20, 2007, 11:42 AM

Since all printers pretty much do the same do they fall under it also?
If the PS3 was already getting $100 discounts and came with 5 games that would have you up in arms screaming desperation in a second.

So what is the reason for the discounts then? Toshiba saw how well all the players are selling and they decided they wanted to make less money?
If most people don't want it at $400 I don't see it flying off the shelves at $300.

But if you get it with the $100 you save you can spend it on all the movies HD doesn't have
You mean like the exact same discounts and give-aways when DVD was a new format? Were you preaching about the benefits of VHS at the time?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 09:46 AM

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 10:12 AM

Amazon has the The Ultimate Matrix Collection for $73.95 and the The Complete Matrix Trilogy for $63.95.

Has anyone ordered them yet?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Amazon has the The Ultimate Matrix Collection for $73.95 and the The Complete Matrix Trilogy for $63.95.

Has anyone ordered them yet?
Yeah, I ordered Ultimate Matrix last week for US$66.56 (which is $73.95 minus 10%), but it hasn't shipped yet. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada, but I'm not sure why it's taking so long to ship. Here's hoping for shipping later today.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
HD-DVD is actually doing better in Europe than it is in the U.S. I'm not sure what this U.S. only format war thing is about.
"Up until March 23rd, HD-DVD sales were doing pretty well in the European market. Then along came the PS3 and snagged 87% of HD disc sales for the following week. Blu-Ray is still selling pretty well, outselling HD-DVD by an average margin of 3-to1. This certainly bodes well for the PS3's success, considering earlier sentiments made by analysts and developers.

How well is Blu-Ray doing in other markets, compared to HD-DVD? In Japan, the figures are a lot higher, with Blu-Ray pwning 96% of the entire HD market. If Blu-Ray sales continue to beat out HD-DVD with additional market share, the next gen format war may have a clear victor. Now lets make quick with that Matrix Blu-Ray set already!"

SNAP!
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/21/...oosted-by-ps3/

"This means that despite the PS3 being available for only one month of this four-month period, Blu-ray software sales account for over 64% of the total volume since the start of the year."

hmurchison2001
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 11:00 AM

It's pointless to attempt to crow about Blu-ray disc sales. With a 4 studio advantage they should be leading by a more significant margin.

All I know is that you all can sit around in a clusterfuk and chant statistics. Last night I watched Serenity on my $249 HD DVD player and loved every minute of it.

Now that player pricing is significantly lower than a game console with HD support I expect to see the standalone players become dominant. Blu-ray seems to have Funai waiting in the wings but I'm not overly concerned about Funai. If Toshiba is selling at $299 for their entry level player than I've got to think that the Chinese and Taiwanese HD DVD vendors coming on line in June will be targetted at a street price of $199.

HD DVD will do well..especially because those crybabies at Fox studios have demolished their release schedule. Be thankful Disney is keeping Blu-ray afloat because Fox has come up lame in a big way.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by hmurchison2001 View Post
Last night I watched Serenity on my $249 HD DVD player and loved every minute of it.
Did you get in on a very good A2 deal or something? Part of the $100 rebate program?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 02:56 PM

HD DVD will do well..especially because those crybabies at Fox studios have demolished their release schedule. Be thankful Disney is keeping Blu-ray afloat because Fox has come up lame in a big way.
BR is outselling HD and we should be happy Disney is keeping them "Afloat"?

hmurchison2001
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Did you get in on a very good A2 deal or something? Part of the $100 rebate program?
Yeah the $100 instantly date could have come at a better time for me. I had 18 disks line around disarray to be played

BR is outselling HD and we should be happy Disney is keeping them "Afloat"?
We've gone over this a million times.

3 million or so PS3 and 4 exclusive studios should have been "game over" for HD DVD. The performance of Blu-ray has left much to be desired.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 03:16 PM

3 million or so PS3 and 4 exclusive studios should have been "game over" for HD DVD. The performance of Blu-ray has left much to be desired.
Not when it is $600 players vs. HD's $250. It should have been game over for BR by now.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2007, 03:16 PM

It's pointless to attempt to crow about Blu-ray disc sales. With a 4 studio advantage they should be leading by a more significant margin.
It always seems to be coming back to this. HD-DVD supporters are saying "we may be losing, but we're not losing by as much as we should be!" But HD-DVD is still losing, and by a pretty significant margin (keeping in mind that total sales are still quite small compared to DVD). The BR installed base is increasing rapidly thanks to the PS3 and standalone prices are dropping. If HD-DVD couldn't win now, when it had such a huge price advantage for the hardware, how will it win in six months or a year when the price differential is much smaller and there are even more movies out on the BR side?

I really don't think cheap players at Walmart is going to save HD-DVD if the movies people want to watch aren't available on HD-DVD.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 03:38 PM

Not when it is $600 players vs. HD's $250. It should have been game over for BR by now.
It would be if HD DVD had parity in content. It became quickly clear that Blu-ray offered no quality advantage over HD DVD. So the only thing keeping it afloat is exclusivity with studios. It's common sense..if you could be the same thing for $249 vs $600 which would you buy?

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
It always seems to be coming back to this. HD-DVD supporters are saying "we may be losing, but we're not losing by as much as we should be!" But HD-DVD is still losing, and by a pretty significant margin (keeping in mind that total sales are still quite small compared to DVD). The BR installed base is increasing rapidly thanks to the PS3 and standalone prices are dropping. If HD-DVD couldn't win now, when it had such a huge price advantage for the hardware, how will it win in six months or a year when the price differential is much smaller and there are even more movies out on the BR side?

I really don't think cheap players at Walmart is going to save HD-DVD if the movies people want to watch aren't available on HD-DVD.
Yes the prevailing feeling is indeed "we took Blu-ray's best and we're still standing" you have to keep in mind the public sentiment was that Blu-ray was going to be this awesome technology and that Toshiba was merely trying to be the " fly in the ointment" or at best a minor road bump.

A year later..the real world shows us that you have more full featured players with HD DVD at a lower cost and equal to slightly better movie quality. The end game here doesn't have to be outright victory but rather sustainability.

The effect of the PS3 is waning. Many people claimed the PS3 would destroy the attachrate figures for Blu-ray and it has. Gamers are not buying movies in droves. Despite having 7 out of 8 major studios.

Fox has dried up their movie release schedule probably because of piracy fears. Disney is launching some high volume titles. Lionsgate has been insignificant. Sony's betting too much on a good but not great Spidey 3 flick.

Remember..the Win CE/Broadcom reference players are coming this summer and that will extend the reach of HD DVD. Blu-ray fans are now pinning their hopes on Funai to deliver a low cost HD DVD competitor but Funai hasn't mentioned any pricing that I'm aware of. I'll have to be $299 to be competitive IMO.

I see the PS3 as less of a factor now. It's no longer enjoying parity pricing with HD DVD players. It's having a hard enough time competing with the Wii and Xbox 360.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 03:45 PM

"The only disappointment? The set's truly exemplary supplements package is presented entirely in 480i standard-def -- in fact, most of the included extras (IME excluded) aren't even served up on HD DVD discs. Instead, Warner has simply slapped DVDs on to the backs of the newly-minted HD DVD discs and added a couple of standard-def DVDs for the two-disc 'Matrix Experience' portion of this release. So, while you're getting some terrific audio and video for the movies themselves, none of the 35 hours worth of supplements are presented any differently than they were in the previously-released standard-def version of the 'Ultimate Collection' -- this includes such potential high-def eye-candy as 'The Animatrix.'"

HD DVD Review: The Ultimate Matrix Collection | High-Def Digest

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 03:50 PM

That sucks that the Animatrix isn't in High Definition.
I can understand that the extras are not in HD though. Have there been any HD movies (HDDVD or BluRay) that have had their extras in HD? IIRC all of my HDDVD movies have the actual movie in HD, but the extras are all in SD.

But yeah, Animatrix should've been in HD.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 03:57 PM

With Animation it really depends on the resolution that the Animation was done in. To save costs many of the features were probably done in SD resolution.

Frankly I'm not so keen on the "Extras in HD" I watch extras to glean more information about the process of filmmaking and other tidbits. I do not require that this content be in HD as I will view this content with relative infrequency to the the movie.

Rather than extras I want to see more networked discs coming and the fabled Mandatory Managed Copy. Right now both platforms offer precious little over DVD other than HD resolution and easier menu/interactivity.

Give me a new way to consume my content that takes a large leap forward.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
That sucks that the Animatrix isn't in High Definition.
I can understand that the extras are not in HD though. Have there been any HD movies (HDDVD or BluRay) that have had their extras in HD? IIRC all of my HDDVD movies have the actual movie in HD, but the extras are all in SD.

But yeah, Animatrix should've been in HD.
I'm just surprised they made you get off the couch and put in a regular DVD in your "HD" box set. Couldn't they just squeeze those extra 5 gigs onto the end of the HD disk? Oh wait, probably not

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 04:27 PM

You've got it backwards. The PS3 was *supposed* to be the biggest selling console ever, putting BluRay into more homes than HD-DVD ever could. Then Sony released it for $600, and most people laughed.

HD-DVD should have been dead by now, but due to Sony pricing itself out of the casual gaming and parents-buying-for-kids market, HD-DVD is sticking around.

I just hope the tide starts to turn, because f*ck Sony.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 04:36 PM

I was told that Animatrix was made for SD, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Anyways, the Ultimate is perfect for me. I want the three movies in HD, and I've never seen Animatrix. Otherwise I would have just bought the Complete (which doesn't have Animatrix).

P.S. It FINALLY shipped today. I hope it doesn't take a week to get here though, like my last shipment from Amazon.com. Other people have already gotten their copies, and it's already in stores.

----
Yeah the $100 instantly date could have come at a better time for me.
Yeah but how did you get it for $249? People are paying $297 for the A2.
( Last edited by Eug; May 22, 2007 at 04:52 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 04:53 PM

Some costco stores have it for $249 with an HDMI cable included.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2007, 05:28 PM

I just find it interesting how different people's perceptions of the same situation can be. To me, if HD-DVD couldn't garner a significant following when its players were half the price of Blu-ray players, it has no chance to do so later on, especially with a limited number of studios supporting the format. But other people are talking like HD-DVD has weathered the storm and is now ready for a comeback.

Are people really sitting on the sidelines waiting for players to come down to $199, as the HD-DVD supporters would have you believe? Or are they waiting for movies that they actually want to buy? You make the call.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 06:07 PM

I find it odd too. As I have said time and time again... It's all about the content. Who cares what the hardware is or costs, if the content you want, isn't on it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 06:12 PM

I find it odd too. As I have said time and time again... It's all about the content. Who cares what the hardware is or costs, if the content you want, isn't on it.
Right now there isn't much content on either format.

And by the way, it isn't about just content. It's about content, price, perceived value, etc.

You can have lots of content, but if the price is $1000, people aren't necessarily going to bite. You can have a price of $199, but if there is little content, then people aren't necessarily going to bite.

FWIW, Home Media Magazine is reporting that the content rampup for both sides is Q3 and Q4 2007, at the time that lower priced machines are supposed to come out.

As for the HD DVD arguments, it has been said right from the beginning by the HD DVD supporters that the PS3-as-the-ace-in-the-hole tactic could only work if the PS3 saturated the market immediately and blew HD DVD out of the water. That never happened. The PS3 is still a very powerful thing, but the point is that the attach rate is too low and the numbers are less than originally projected. Thus, it seems this tactic has failed to kill off HD DVD.

The PS3-as-the-ace-in-the-hole tactic's time is now quickly passing, and then it becomes a war of standalones and content. Blu-ray has the potential advantage for content, but key supporters such as Fox have not been very helpful of late, and Blu-ray is losing miserably in terms of standalones.

So, as I've said probably about 10 times now in this thread, it is still looking like a stalemate for the foreseeable future (with foreseeable meaning the next year).
( Last edited by Eug; May 22, 2007 at 06:18 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2007, 06:33 PM

I believe I've asked this before, but if the best possible outcome that HD-DVD supporters can hope for is a stalemate, why support HD-DVD? Wouldn't it be better to have the format war over early?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 06:39 PM

I disagree there.

How important is the price if the product doesn't exist?
How important is the hardware if the product doesn't exist?

If you have no product you have nothing to sell. Its simple as that. No matter how you spin it its ALL about the content. If you have no content, you have no value or price to worry about. That is square one in sales. The rest comes in line but content is king for a reason. You can't sell or market a product that doesn't exist.

Once you have content, THEN you are in the best position to do dictation. There may not be content a lot of content out there sure, but this debate here is more about content between the two. You factor in DVD it doesn't matter about either one, but thats not what anyone is arguing about though.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 06:46 PM

I believe I've asked this before, but if the best possible outcome that HD-DVD supporters can hope for is a stalemate, why support HD-DVD? Wouldn't it be better to have the format war over early?
I agree. Blu-ray should give it up already, instead of prolonging the war.

Seriously though, that's quite a strange question that people repeatedly ask. Personally IMO in terms of consumer benefit, it'd arguably make more sense to support HD DVD, since the Blu-ray format is currently borked (no PiP, no mandatory networking, no mandatory DD+ support, etc). However, obviously, that ain't going to happen any time soon. You can't expect either side to just give up when there is no obvious winner yet in the foreseeable future.

I disagree there.

How important is the price if the product doesn't exist?
How important is the hardware if the product doesn't exist?

If you have no product you have nothing to sell. Its simple as that. No matter how you spin it its ALL about the content. If you have no content, you have no value or price to worry about. That is square one in sales. The rest comes in line but content is king for a reason. You can't sell or market a product that doesn't exist.

Once you have content, THEN you are in the best position to do dictation. There may not be content a lot of content out there sure, but this debate here is more about content between the two. You factor in DVD it doesn't matter about either one, but thats not what anyone is arguing about though.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. You have to start somewhere, and so far HD DVD and Blu-ray have similar numbers of titles of available.

Furthermore, Home Media Magazine reports that HD DVD plans on being more aggressive than Blu-ray on releasing titles for the remainder of 2007. Whether that's true or not is a different question, but do you really think that if there are more HD DVD titles out in December than there are Blu-ray titles, Sony should just surrender?
( Last edited by Eug; May 22, 2007 at 06:57 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 07:00 PM

no PiP, no mandatory networking, no mandatory DD+ support, etc
It has PIP. You mean it just currently does it in a method that uses more space but since it has double the storage of HD it isn't an issue yet.

Mandatory DD support is meh as all BR disks have uncompressed audio.

You think the average consumer will care about networking for some silly web app?
No, they will walk in to the store, see which format has the movies they like and not ask if it has PiP or care.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 07:02 PM

My point is the differences in the content is the long term trump card for either.

HD-DVD is cheaper right now. Over the long term as bother players get to about the same price point. Which could be a year or more, who knows. Anyhow... The content over that timeframe will show more exclusives being a bigger factor that it is right now. Point being, think ahead 2 years from now. When all the exclusive studios are in full production and the prices are pretty similar on hardware. Who is in the better position? This is all we are saying. This is proof that content is most important. With a 2 to 1 price difference in players and its not having much an effect, what conclusion would you come up with with the hardware prices are pretty much the same, and there is a bigger slant in content for one over the other?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 07:23 PM

My point is the differences in the content is the long term trump card for either.

HD-DVD is cheaper right now. Over the long term as bother players get to about the same price point. Which could be a year or more, who knows. Anyhow... The content over that timeframe will show more exclusives being a bigger factor that it is right now. Point being, think ahead 2 years from now. When all the exclusive studios are in full production and the prices are pretty similar on hardware. Who is in the better position? This is all we are saying. This is proof that content is most important. With a 2 to 1 price difference in players and its not having much an effect, what conclusion would you come up with with the hardware prices are pretty much the same, and there is a bigger slant in content for one over the other?
I always find it amusing that some Blu-ray supporters criticize HD DVD supporters for talking about price in the near future, yet at the same time talk about potential content support far in the future.

That's the problem. Blu-ray has had a lot of potential, but hasn't capitalized well on that potential. It's Blu-ray's own fault that HD DVD still is doing OK. The reality of it is that despite all the arguments about potential content, HD DVD and Blu-ray releases are similar in number.

P.S. The price difference has in fact had a significant effect. The standalone market for Blu-ray is extremely small, even by hi-def standards. However, we all know that the primary market in the long run is standalones, not game consoles, when we're talking about an optical disc war.

Sure, Blu-ray can start dropping prices dramatically, but even their most recent price slashing still keeps prices comparatively high. I suspect part of the reason is because Blu-ray technology is inherently more expensive.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2007, 07:31 PM

Seriously though, that's quite a strange question that people repeatedly ask.
What's so strange about it? If you see no hope of your side winning (at least not for a long time), why support it? This isn't politics, where you might choose a losing side just to make a point.

Personally IMO in terms of consumer benefit, it'd arguably make more sense to support HD DVD, since the Blu-ray format is currently borked (no PiP, no mandatory networking, no mandatory DD+ support, etc).
The bottom line is, if the format can't win, it doesn't matter how great it is. In terms of consumer benefit, it makes sense to support the format that has the best chance of ending the format war. And frankly, from the point of view of the average consumer, I don't think there's a huge difference in these two technologies. You can argue that HD-DVD is technically superior until you're blu in the face but in the end it's all about studio support and (to a slightly lesser degree) the price of the hardware.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2007, 07:38 PM

What's so strange about it? If you see no hope of your side winning (at least not for a long time), why support it? This isn't politics, where you might choose a losing side just to make a point.

The bottom line is, if the format can't win, it doesn't matter how great it is. In terms of consumer benefit, it makes sense to support the format that has the best chance of ending the format war. And frankly, from the point of view of the average consumer, I don't think there's a huge difference in these two technologies. You can argue that HD-DVD is technically superior until you're blu in the face but in the end it's all about studio support and (to a slightly lesser degree) the price of the hardware.
I don't think either side is in a position to "win" any time soon. Blu-ray lost that chance (for the foreseeable future) when it fumbled with the PS3.

And like I've mentioned before, in terms of studio support, it's similar at this point in time in terms of actual titles released. Furthermore, HD DVD's reported release plans in 2007 are more aggressive than Blu-ray's (if the reports have any truth to them).

Forum Links
Forum Rules