Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ticked off with my RAZR

Ticked off with my RAZR
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 11:29 AM

First of all, let me say that up until the last month, my RAZR has been a great phone. It has service where nobody else does, the battery lasted a week, and it's just been a good phone for me. However, in the last month, it's gone downhill fast. I got it in last December or January, so it's not too old. First issue: Won't receive calls. It will make calls, and send and receive text messages, but no calls. So I take it in to the Verizon store where I bought it, wait in line for 2 hours, and they fix it after about 20 minutes. Also, my phone gets two new scratches on the back panel, and this sweaty nerd's fingerprints all over the screen. Thanks. Second issue: Outside screen and camera won't work. Take it in again, only wait in line 30 minutes, they reload some software and it works. Yay! They even clean it. Third issue: On Sunday of this week, I recharge it. It's always died on Sunday, the battery always lasts one week, and it dies and tells me to recharge it on Sunday afternoon after calling my gramma. Wakeup Monday. It's dead. Charge it. Wakeup Tuesday. It's dead. Charge it. Wakeup today. It's dead. Charge it. Guess I gotta take it in to the Verizon store again. Why in the last month is this good phone turning so horrible? I went to Motorola's website and it's worse than Verizon's as far as tech help. My phone can't be going off the deep end already, can it? I really don't want to have to buy a new Verizon phone, then wait 1 year until my contract ends to just get an iPhone. Thanks for reading my ranting. Oh, and it's a V3m for Verizon.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 11:46 AM

i have the razr from verizon and the only thing i don't hate about this phone is how thin and unnoticeable it is in my pocket. other than that, the UI sucks, the crippling verizon does to the phone sucks, the verizon theme sucks, this really could go on and on but i'm not writing any novels today. i have the v3c.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 12:29 PM

It's a Motorola phone. Enough said

I had three Motos in my life and I hated every single one of them.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 12:36 PM

I do hate the crippling that Verizon does... but I got it for free, so no complaining there. This is my first Motorola phone (had a Nokia before that I didn't like either).

Railroader
Banned
Sep 20, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
It's a Motorola phone. Enough said

I had three Motos in my life and I hated every single one of them.
Not all Motorolas. At one time, Nextel used Motorola phones that exceeded the US Military's specs for field durability and reliability. I think most still do.

Now take LG...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 03:47 PM

I like my Moto... awesome fone.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2007, 11:28 PM

you should get a blue krzr from moto with an at&t contract

Alex

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 12:43 AM

My Razr battery lasts two days, tops.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 12:47 AM

I bought an iPhone. No more crappy Verizon. No more RAZR V3m. Problem solved.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2007, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I bought an iPhone. No more crappy Verizon. No more RAZR V3m. Problem solved.
I just got one too. Speaker is extremely extremely shitty, my phone just randomly goes to the home screen while I'm in the middle of browsing on safari, or picking music in ipod mode. Then, when I unlock it, sometimes the calendar screen is up or the weather widget for no reason. Me thinks I got a dud. Taking it to get fixorized
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Tiresias
Sep 23, 2007, 02:06 AM

Web surfing on an iPhone looks like an eyeache.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by irunat2am View Post
I just got one too. Speaker is extremely extremely shitty,
Speakers not great, but it's at least as good as my RAZR was.

my phone just randomly goes to the home screen while I'm in the middle of browsing on safari, or picking music in ipod mode.
Yeah, those are crashes. I haven't had the iPod mode crash, but I've had Safari crash. But then again, web browsing on Verizon would cost me $110 a month on some crappy phone...

Then, when I unlock it, sometimes the calendar screen is up or the weather widget for no reason. Me thinks I got a dud. Taking it to get fixorized
Yeah, that last part is odd. Have you tried wiping the firmware and just reseting the device? I've heard the first run of iPhones definitely had some issues.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2007, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Web surfing on an iPhone looks like an eyeache.
I enjoy it while it lasts. I switched from a lg vx9800 with a small screen, to a blackberry pearl. The iphone surfing makes the pearl and anything else I've seen look like straight poop.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2007, 01:57 PM

I hate Motos too. Horrible, buggy software. Got one on contract and used it for 10 months before I got sick to death of it's 'white screen of death' and other problems where I banished it to the bottom of my bag as a 'spare'.
Got a second hand Sony Ericsson K610i. Now this hasn't been trouble free either, the software catastrophically crashed mid August on it and it wouldn't turn on. Emailed SE, sent it out for repair, got it back all perfectly working for free. Much better UI, usability, build quality. Until the iPhone is on the shelves over here, SE are still the Apple of the mobile phone market for me.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 01:58 PM

My iPhone used to crash regularly on safari, but honestly I think I've had maybe one or two crashes since the last firmware update. Web browsing is excellent, especially on wifi, there is no comparison with anything else besides an actual computer (or a Mac, for that matter, as I'd still rather use safari on my phone rather than IE on a pc).

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2007, 02:19 PM

Yeah, that last part is odd. Have you tried wiping the firmware and just reseting the device? I've heard the first run of iPhones definitely had some issues.
No I have not. I don't even know where to begin for that. I just got it, and haven't taken the time to look it up.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 03:21 PM

So just a little update... I've taken it in twice over the last few days, they reinstalled software, updated software, and most of the bugs are gone. The battery is still dying though. They WILL NOT replace it, which is so dumb. They want me to pay $40 for a new one. It's a 9 month old phone, still under warranty.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Sep 23, 2007 at 03:33 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 03:32 PM

No I have not. I don't even know where to begin for that. I just got it, and haven't taken the time to look it up.
In iTunes, click on your iPhone while it's docked. Right under the big Update button, there is a Restore button. It will download a restore image from Apple's site and restore your phone with a brand new OS.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
So just a little update... I've taken it in twice over the last few days, they reinstalled software, updated software, and most of the bugs are gone. The battery is still dying though. They WILL NOT replace it, which is so dumb. They want me to pay $40 for a new one. It's a 9 month old phone, still under warranty.
I also had this issue with Verizon. I had a crappy Kyocera where the screen's power would go in and out several times. The only fix seemed to be banging my phone on a desk a few times (people thought it was hilarious when we'd be playing pool or something, and I'd start banging my phone against a desk to make a call.) It was on my parent's plan, so next time I was visiting them we took it into Verizon and they wouldn't replace it, even though the phone was clearly defective. So we paid $40 for a new phone, and sure enough, the same thing starts to happen within a month. Fortunately, it wasn't too long until the plan was renewed and I got a new color camera phone.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2007, 03:50 PM

In iTunes, click on your iPhone while it's docked. Right under the big Update button, there is a Restore button. It will download a restore image from Apple's site and restore your phone with a brand new OS.

DUHHHHHHH! I only hooked it up once to activate and sync. Haven't used it plugged into my comp since. Should've looked there. It's like when people walk into a business, look up at the big "RESTROOMS" sign with an arrow, look back down at the employee and go, "Uhhh yea, where are your restrooms located?"

Thanks

imitch..that is brutal. I just switched from verizon. Great great coverage, but every time I had to talk to a service rep, I felt like they just didn't care. I actually went in to buy a new phone and get a new 2-year contract and everything last month (my 2 years was up). The guy "helping me" was a complete dou*hebag and you could tell he was hating life. So I said, "cool, guess you don't want my money." and walked out. If you were getting commission wouldn't you be halfway pleasant (at least fake it..). Meh. Good luck, sorry bout the battery!

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 04:21 PM

I finally got rid of my Razr and bought an iPhone. Best phone upgrade I've ever done. Finally, a phone I enjoy using. It will be hard to find a better phone to upgrade to in the future.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 05:17 PM

My cell phone comes in a briefcase and has a rotary dial on it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 06:02 PM

DUHHHHHHH! I only hooked it up once to activate and sync.
You probably missed out on iPhone OS updates that contained bug fixes then.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
My cell phone comes in a briefcase and has a rotary dial on it.
Oh my... how's the reception?

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2007, 06:47 PM

imitchell, if they have a 2-for-1 special on that phone, wanna go halfsies!?! SwEeT!

Forum Links
Forum Rules