Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Big Storms On The West Coast = Misery Headed Your Way!

Big Storms On The West Coast = Misery Headed Your Way!
abe
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 06:31 AM

Early in December huge, record breaking storms hit the West Coast, causing death and damage and power outages that lasted for days. That storm slowly moved East, spreading death and destruction in it's wake all across the country.

Well, I have bad news for you.

The West Coast is currently experiencing high winds and heavy rains. Not as bad as the storm in early December, but significant.

This is the only warning you'll get.

Be pro-active. Be prepared.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 06:47 AM

It wasn't that bad in December, and it's nice to finally have some rain. The weather out here has been so boring the past year. It's been too nice for too long. It's nice to mix it up a little.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
It wasn't that bad in December, and it's nice to finally have some rain. The weather out here has been so boring the past year. It's been too nice for too long. It's nice to mix it up a little.
Atlanta area?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 07:30 AM

I grew up in the Atlanta area, around Snellville. I used to go to Lake Lanier all the time during the summer. I can't believe how much of it is just gone.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 10:23 AM

Winter storms on the US west coast cause warmer than average winters here.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 11:49 AM

I couldn't believe the frakin' winds here... I got a rather substantial cactus pot blown over and broken. Going out to check the mail this morning I saw a tree lying horizontal snapped off at ground level.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 12:08 PM

I've been enjoying the rain here in the Bay Area. Sure, we had some pretty heavy gusts and the sidewalks are littered with wet newspaper and blown leaves, but we desperately needed the rainfall given low levels in the last few years. That, and I'm sure the ski resorts up in Tahoe received a good dusting.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 12:14 PM

Wow, seven post so far and nobody has mention Global Warming yet.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 02:00 PM

It is really windy in Colorado today (75 mph gusts, 35 sustained in my neighborhood). The usual rain in Washington though.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
Atlanta area?
Atlanta? Who's talking about Atlanta? I live in SoCal.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 02:09 PM

It's the new west coast.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 02:25 PM

Early in December huge, record breaking storms hit the West Coast, causing death and damage and power outages that lasted for days. That storm slowly moved East, spreading death and destruction in it's wake all across the country.

The West Coast is currently experiencing high winds and heavy rains. Not as bad as the storm in early December, but significant.

Nasty storms in the West break levee abe?

zipperzap
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2008, 02:52 PM

San Diego - 10:48 am - nice soft rain since early this morning - quite pleasant ... but we are always on the tailend of those storms that blow out of the 'Gulf of Alaska.'

... rain's always a welcomed sight here in this beautiful coastal desert!
Scott

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2008, 02:52 PM

We're in the middle of a huge drought — I see this as a good thing.

EDIT: And San Diego weighs in all at once!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 06:29 PM

I hope we don't get any more sinkholes.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 06:36 PM

I hope San Deigo goes to the Super Bowl.

And you have bad weather.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's the new west coast.
The Braves did play in the NL West for a number of years, which is probably the source of the confusion....

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2008, 07:49 PM

we had a couple of blackouts in my area near los angeles last night. the winds were crazy

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2008, 11:01 PM

What a load of bull.

I want the last 30 secs of my life back...

-t

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 11:05 PM

The weather here hasn't been so bad. It's been windy, but not as windy as the last big windstorm.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 11:42 PM

Oh. Ahhh!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I told you that based on past experience that the West Coast storm we experienced yesterday would move East and spread destruction. This has already proven to be true.

What does this:

abe?
mean?

Rumor
Jan 6, 2008, 01:37 AM

I must have missed the record breaking storm last month.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 01:40 AM

I told you that based on past experience that the West Coast storm we experienced yesterday would move East and spread destruction. This has already proven to be true.

What does this:

mean?
I thought maybe you were teh Nostradamous of the west coast.. sorry. me.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I thought maybe you were teh Nostradamous of the west coast.. sorry. me.
Maybe I'm Mosttehdumbest.

Not to worry. Patriots fans are the smartest people on Earth.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I must have missed the record breaking storm last month.
Wind gusts exceeded 100 mph in some places. Rainfall was at record levels.
Pacific storm slams the US Pacific Northwest: Surveying the damage - US News - Helium - by Rex Trulove

weather.com - Blog: The Weather Channel on weather news, hurricanes, tornadoes & meteorology

Then it moved eastward.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
I've been enjoying the rain here in the Bay Area. Sure, we had some pretty heavy gusts and the sidewalks are littered with wet newspaper and blown leaves, but we desperately needed the rainfall given low levels in the last few years. That, and I'm sure the ski resorts up in Tahoe received a good dusting.
Yeah, if anyone can get up here. We can't open some doors at my parents' house due to the 5 feet of snow we got last night and the 3 more we're supposed to get tonight.

This is so awesome, the whole area looks like a giant white marshmallow and the wind is just too insane. Kind of scary though when you're surrounded by 50-100 foot pines.

A lot of people took Abe's advice (or the winter winter storm warning), I've never in my life seen a grocery store as barren as Railey's was yesterday. No meat, no dairy, no bread, no soup, there weren't even hot dog buns! They restocked today though.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
Yeah, if anyone can get up here. We can't open some doors at my parents' house due to the 5 feet of snow we got last night and the 3 more we're supposed to get tonight.

This is so awesome, the whole area looks like a giant white marshmallow and the wind is just too insane. Kind of scary though when you're surrounded by 50-100 foot pines.

A lot of people took Abe's advice (or the winter winter storm warning), I've never in my life seen a grocery store as barren as Railey's was yesterday. No meat, no dairy, no bread, no soup, there weren't even hot dog buns! They restocked today though.
I'm sure it wasn't my advice they took, but I'm glad they took precautions. And I hope no one is sitting in their cold, dark abode without food or water.

If you have to have just ONE kind of foodstuff that will last you a week no matter what else you do or don't have to heat or prepare it or flavor it, I'd suggest this.

Mashed Potato Flakes.

They provide calories and if you eat them dry out of the box they will melt in your mouth. Everyone has salt so a bit of salt and a spoonful of mashed potato flakes or buds and you are sustained. Have a gallon of water per person, per day on hand for washing, cooking, drinking and etc.

Here's my list.

Mashed Potato Flakes
Salt
Water (ration 1 gal per person/day and figure on 3 - 7 days)
Big Candle & Lighter
Windup Radio/Flashlight
Instant Coffee
Multiple Vitamins

Firearm with 1000 rounds of ammo.

Rumor
Jan 6, 2008, 04:28 AM

Firearm with 1000 rounds of ammo.
Haven't you seen enough zombie movies to know that guns are not the way to go? You need something like this:

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 01:26 PM

Wow... so have we concluded that weather patterns move from west to east in North America? Strong in this thread, the Weather Network is.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Rumor
Jan 6, 2008, 01:35 PM

That storm hit Washington and Northern Oregon. It didn't hit us this far south.

zipperzap
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2008, 01:41 PM

iranfromthezoo:

I hope San Deigo goes to the Super Bowl.

And you have bad weather.
We do?

UPDATE SAN DIEGO: 9:38am - sun's out - no rain predicted for daylight hours today - football field has been covered since before the first rainsfall and it looks good today for a WIN!
Scott

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 02:04 PM

I woke up this morning and there was 4 inches of snow on the ground. It's been snowing all day, and according to the NOAA there was only a 10% chance of snow today

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 03:44 PM

I woke up this morning and there was 4 inches of snow on the ground. It's been snowing all day, and according to the NOAA there was only a 10% chance of snow today
I hope you aren't inconvenienced too badly.

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
"...we concluded that weather patterns move from west to east in North America..."
When people seem to be caught unaware and unprepared by these midwest snow and ice storms it suggests that at least some of them haven't yet recognized what you said, Greg.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 03:59 PM

... or else they fully realize that weather patterns in fact move from west to east – since after all every single weather report every shown on TV shows this – and they are rather just unprepared for extreme weather events in general.

See also: extreme weather events all around the world. The majority of human beings tend to assume and hope for the best. We make fun of those preparing for the worst. See: religious nuts, nuclear-war prognosticators, global-warming fanatics, yadda yadda yadda.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 04:19 PM

I hope you aren't inconvenienced too badly.

When people seem to be caught unaware and unprepared by these midwest snow and ice storms it suggests that at least some of them haven't yet recognized what you said, Greg.
Ha ha. It's not much of an inconvenience here. You just have to give yourself an extra 10-20 minutes to get anywhere. It was surprising though that we got snow with only a 10% chance. Normally the NOAA, at least here, is right on. The fact that they showed a 10% chance of snow today, and it's been snowing all day, is very unusual for theme. However, I will say that last evening before sundown, I told my dad that the clouds coming over Pikes Peak looked an awfully lot like snowclouds, and he agreed.

BTW, just a little thanks to the Colorado Springs roadcrew. By 8:00, after it had been snowing an hour (with about 3 inches of accumulation), they had already plowed the main roads clear of snow. They do a great job.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2008, 05:11 PM

Haven't you seen enough zombie movies to know that guns are not the way to go? You need something like this:

Nothing like a good halberd when fighting the undead.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2008, 05:33 PM

Only for when you're out of ammo. You don't want to let the things get that close if you don't have to. A .22 is the way to go.

Accurate enough to put a shot through the eye, low enough powered that it won't waste energy trying to go out the back of the zombies skull.

It just zips around inside the cranium, and you're on to the next target.

C'mon people, this is in the manual.

The Zombie Survival Guide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 02:46 AM

Ha ha. It's not much of an inconvenience here. You just have to give yourself an extra 10-20 minutes to get anywhere. It was surprising though that we got snow with only a 10% chance. Normally the NOAA, at least here, is right on. The fact that they showed a 10% chance of snow today, and it's been snowing all day, is very unusual for theme. However, I will say that last evening before sundown, I told my dad that the clouds coming over Pikes Peak looked an awfully lot like snowclouds, and he agreed.

BTW, just a little thanks to the Colorado Springs roadcrew. By 8:00, after it had been snowing an hour (with about 3 inches of accumulation), they had already plowed the main roads clear of snow. They do a great job.
Let's hear it for the NOAA and the road crews!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
... or else they fully realize that weather patterns in fact move from west to east – since after all every single weather report every shown on TV shows this – and they are rather just unprepared for extreme weather events in general.

See also: extreme weather events all around the world. The majority of human beings tend to assume and hope for the best. We make fun of those preparing for the worst. See: religious nuts, nuclear-war prognosticators, global-warming fanatics, yadda yadda yadda.

greg
I suspect you are right!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Nothing like a good halberd when fighting the undead.
It looks pretty lethal, alright!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 02:50 AM

well, that little 20 minute mist was nice. it's now down-pouring again

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
well, that little 20 minute mist was nice. it's now down-pouring again
I'm sorry. And I hope it wasn't our storm that reached you that quickly.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 02:53 AM

i'm in california at the moment btw. where are you abe?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
i'm in california at the moment btw. where are you abe?
In Olympia, Washington.

3andahalfeyed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 01:15 PM

I like this weather in California. Problem is that it brings fog in the Central Valley, thick fog depending where one may be located, But at least it keeps the weather warmer though. Because last year we didn't have much rain here therefore no fog which led to freezing temperatures in the mid to low 20s which is pretty low for California standards if not located in the mountains or even the high deserts.

Hurricane-like gusts in the Sierras seems pretty intense for those going up the slopes. I wonder what it is like over in Tahoe?

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2008, 02:38 PM

The winds were horrible towards the end of last week. I say horrible because they kept the lifts shut down.

Other than that, it's not the end of the world. I lived in South Lake the past 4 years and have seen some monsters roll through. The only problem is when you get so much snow that the passes close. But it's only temporary and the Caltrans and NDOT crews are well equiped. Sure they don't necessarily get things cleared out when you want (ie. when Kirkwood has 10 feet of light fluffy sexiness but the pass is closed due to said 10 feet), but that's a lot of snow and you just have to be patient sometimes.

The reasons the markets and gas stations run out of stuff is twofold:
1) People make a run on them to stock up, which is stupid. Like I said, the road crews kick ass and eventually stuff opens back up.
2) The trucks get delayed due to road closures. Markets pretty much have trucks coming in daily. So if one can't make it up, then things are going to run out a lot sooner.

People forget that we're not living in the 1800s anymore. Then 10 feet in Tahoe meant you broke out the sleigh and prayed you killed enough deer and made enough jerky during the summer to last you through the winter. Now you just send a giant snowblower down the road and mop up with a blade or a plow.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Rumor
Jan 7, 2008, 04:19 PM

In Olympia, Washington.
I drove through there on my way to Port Orchard for Thanksgiving in 06. I thought you lived in Aberdeen though?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 04:37 PM

The temperature is up in the 60's here. Normal for this time of year is about 30.

It's been my experience that every time it gets warm in January around here, it means March will be dreadful....

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jan 7, 2008, 04:52 PM

It's 73 and sunny here in Mississippi...Granted with 100% humidity. It's not that bad though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules