Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Google temporarily closes Map Maker following high-profile prank

Google temporarily closes Map Maker following high-profile prank
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 11, 2015, 03:16 PM

Google is temporarily preventing users from being able to access the Map Maker tool, following a series of incidents concerning its misuse. Starting from tomorrow, the tool will be pulled while Google works to add some sort of moderation system to it, in order to avoid further issues such as the recent image of the Android mascot urinating on the Apple logo appearing in Google Maps.

Visitors to Google Map Maker are greeted with a message about the imminent service takedown, reports Search Engine Land, along with a link explaining why the changes are being made. The linked support page directly talks about the Android image, calling it a "large scale prank" that Google Map Maker team member Pavithra Kanakarajan says is "particularly troubling and unfortunate."

A recent Google Map Maker prank
A recent Google Map Maker prank

"As a consequence, we suspended auto-approval and user moderation across the globe, until we figure out ways to add more intelligent mechanisms to prevent such incidents." Current edits logged into the system are going through a manual review process, though it is warned they "will take a long time to get published" due to the changes.

It is not known when the service will be brought back online again, though it will not be until an improved moderation system is put in place.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 11, 2015 at 03:18 PM. )

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2015, 03:35 PM

It's a pity corporations have such a low tolerance for humor. I'm an Apple fan, but someone put work into that, and I found it funny.

canadave
May 11, 2015, 03:53 PM

Actually, it's more of a pity that a small handful of people (or just one person) always has to ruin a nice thing for the rest of us.

climacs
Senior User
May 11, 2015, 04:20 PM

I guess it was a little funny that someone got away with it, but the image itself is sophomoric. Oooh, my favorite corporate logo pissing on another corporate logo! That's original!

Doodpants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2015, 06:39 PM

Phase 2 is to build an actual park area shaped like that; then Google will have no choice but to display it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules