Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Gerrison Keeler/Prairie Home Companion fans here?

Any Gerrison Keeler/Prairie Home Companion fans here?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2005, 01:32 AM

Just went and saw Prairie Home Companion tonight, really enjoyed it!

In a way, I sort of wish his softer style of more "innocent" humor was more popular... Do you ever get sick of the deluge of "hard-edged" comedy shows, movies, and stand-up acts? Perhaps I don't get sick of it as much as I simply appreciate a change of pace now and then, and wish that there was more to choose from... not only more innocent, but intelligent and thoughtful.

Any other Keeler fans here?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2005, 04:16 AM

anyone else hear that old piano? down the avenue? .. lol

i like the sense of innocence i feel whenever i listen in. i'm not a big fan of the guests (singers/musicians) although sometimes i enjoy that part. i love the skits and stories though. english majors / ketchup advisory panel / guy noir / that cowboy thing with dusty .. lol.

Good Clean innocent fun.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2005, 04:41 AM

Honestly, having lived in Minnesota, it really isn't that funny. even when you know a lot of English majors.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Honestly, having lived in Minnesota, it really isn't that funny. even when you know a lot of English majors.
What do you find funny?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2005, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Paging JoshuaZ....

Just curious about what you wrote, I can see how some personality types might not match with Keeler, which is why I'm curious to know who you do find funny (other than Salty).

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2005, 05:14 AM

Some of us are in different time zones then others, so keep your pants on. The show actually came to my college while I was there, and yes, some parts are funny, but most of it is very dry humor and poking fun at a nostalgic view of mid-western America. Though I do enjoy any show that makes fun of English majors. They deserve it.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 11:44 AM

I enjoy it a lot. And they're making a movie... which I'd be unsure about if it weren't for Garrison's involvement (note: may want to check the spelling of Keillor...)

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 12:35 PM

It's a great show, and it's too bad there isn't more of its type. It's both intelligent and funny. On top of that, it's clean.

I wish there were more radio shows out there. Sometimes I like not having the visual.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2005, 01:49 PM

I'm from Minnesota and a fan, though my New Yorker wife is more so. We're going to see Garrison Keillor and the whole PHC bit at the MN State Fair in a couple of weeks.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2005, 02:02 PM

I wish I had more time for it. The Guy Noir bit has been consistently fantastic since I can remember. I also love the little sketches they do which feature the foley guy.

There's something comforting about his voice-- I just love the sound of it.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
There's something comforting about his voice-- I just love the sound of it.
His voice is all I know of him - had a tape of News from Lake Wobegon years ago.

"Comforting", is right.

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 03:42 PM

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Just went and saw Prairie Home Companion tonight, really enjoyed it!

In a way, I sort of wish his softer style of more "innocent" humor was more popular... Do you ever get sick of the deluge of "hard-edged" comedy shows, movies, and stand-up acts? Perhaps I don't get sick of it as much as I simply appreciate a change of pace now and then, and wish that there was more to choose from... not only more innocent, but intelligent and thoughtful.

Any other Keeler fans here?
I go through spells where I catch EVERY show and can't get enough PHC, so I go back and listen to old shows I may have missed.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2005/08/

But then there are times when I'll go months without listening once. No one's fault. Just changing schedules and living life.

Even though he's a liberal, ( he's awfully clever and very talented and his troupe is always top notch!

I don't care necessarily that he's got a 'clean' show, I like clean funny and I like dirty funny and feel I am highly evolved in being able to appreciate BOTH. He is funny and warm and touching and he makes you think laugh and feel.

He's getting up there in age and a few years ago I sensed a change in his voice from a middle aged guy to an older man. I hope he's with us a good long while. There's no one like him and no one on the horizon like him.

Consider yourself lucky to have attended the show. I never have.

jk

EDIT: But I DID see Sinatra in concert!

Terrific. Spine tingling!
( Last edited by mojo2; Aug 23, 2005 at 05:51 AM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 05:26 PM

I saw an outdoor taping of his show long ago and last fall saw Garrison deliver a speech at a fund raiser for the democratic party in Seattle. I am sure that the usual suspects will attack him. sam

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SVass
I saw an outdoor taping of his show long ago and last fall saw Garrison deliver a speech at a fund raiser for the democratic party in Seattle. I am sure that the usual suspects will attack him. sam
The thing that annoys me is when people say he shouldn't be on NPR because of his political positions.

This argument might be valid if he was a journalist on NPR, but his show is definitely not about politics or political in nature. Do we need to go down the list of all NPR hosts on NPR broadcasted shows and ensure that they are not political activists in their spare time? The last thing we need is for the guys on Car Talk to live secret lives as Republican supporters or something...

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
I go through spells where I catch EVERY show and can't get enough PHC, so I go back and listen to old shows I may have missed.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2005/08/

But then there are times when I'll go months without listening once. No one's fault. Just changing schedules and living life.

Even though he's a liberal, ( he's awfully clever and very talented and his troupe is always top notch!

I don't care necessarily that he's got a 'clean' show, I like clean funny and I like dirty funny and feel I am highly evolved in being able to appreciate BOTH. He is funny and warm and touching and he makes you think laugh and feel.

He's getting up there in age and a few years ago I sensed a change in his voice from a middle aged guy to an older man. I hope he's with us a good long while. There's no one like him and no one on the horizon like him.

Consider yourself lucky to have attended the show. I never have.

jk

To me, his humor is not only clean, but it has a very innocent small-town type gentleness to it. It will be a shame for him to leave us. Like you said, there is nobody else like him.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2005, 12:20 AM

I picked up Lake Wobegon Days awhile back, and parts were laugh out loud funny. One of my favorites was a "footnote" explaining that "Wobegon" was a Sioux word for "that place we waited for you in the rain all day."

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 04:41 PM

Funny, that's the only show on Minnesota Public Radio that I don't like.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas
Funny, that's the only show on Minnesota Public Radio that I don't like.
So darn true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules