Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iphone security hole?

New iphone security hole?
njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2008, 09:39 PM

When I plug my iphone into my mac, iPhoto comes up automatically, and shows me all the photos on my iphone, and even allows me to import new photos into iphoto from the iphone. This happens even though the phone is locked and the passcode has not been entered into the iphone. Would that be considered a security flaw?

Note: I have only tested this on my own mac, in which iTunes already "knows" my iphone - I haven't verified whether a stranger with access to my phone could plug this in to his own computer and also see my photos. But, even so, it seems to me the phone shouldn't let ANYONE see the photos when it is locked, until the passcode has been entered.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2008, 11:48 PM

Send feedback.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by njuyhb View Post
Note: I have only tested this on my own mac, in which iTunes already "knows" my iphone - I haven't verified whether a stranger with access to my phone could plug this in to his own computer and also see my photos. But, even so, it seems to me the phone shouldn't let ANYONE see the photos when it is locked, until the passcode has been entered.
This is only a problem if in fact the iPhone's content shows up on other computers as well - which I doubt, since the first message that pops up when you connect it to another machine is one about the iPhone being bound to a different iTunes library.

If the photographs show up when it's connected to YOUR computer, and you're worried about somebody else accessing them that way, your problem is not the iPhone.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 31, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
This is only a problem if in fact the iPhone's content shows up on other computers as well - which I doubt, since the first message that pops up when you connect it to another machine is one about the iPhone being bound to a different iTunes library.

If the photographs show up when it's connected to YOUR computer, and you're worried about somebody else accessing them that way, your problem is not the iPhone.
...but the photos are coming up in iPhoto, not iTunes. It is, at least, an interesting question: will an "unpaired" iPhone bring up iPhoto?

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2008, 10:47 AM

Out of curiosity, I plugged my iPhone into my Mac which the iPhone isn't paired to. I have that machine configured to launch Image Capture (what I use to download photos from CF card). Image Capture launched and I could see all the photos in my camera roll (none of the photos in other albums were visible), even downloaded them without entering the passcode.

I didn't even get a warning that the iPhone was synced/paired to another computer.

Hmm, guess I better be careful about what's in my "Camera Roll" folder.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2008, 11:47 AM

Yep, this even happened with iPhone 1.1.4 (and probably all the earlier versions also). I submitted a report to Apple but of course, it was probably ignored. Even on Windows, any account that logs in while the iPhone is plugged in and charging, you could see the photos.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Rumor
Aug 31, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by GuyWithACamera View Post
Out of curiosity, I plugged my iPhone into my Mac which the iPhone isn't paired to. I have that machine configured to launch Image Capture (what I use to download photos from CF card). Image Capture launched and I could see all the photos in my camera roll (none of the photos in other albums were visible), even downloaded them without entering the passcode.

I didn't even get a warning that the iPhone was synced/paired to another computer.

Hmm, guess I better be careful about what's in my "Camera Roll" folder.
So don't take risque photos with your iPhone then.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2008, 05:13 PM

When I plugged my iPhone into my MBP at work for the first time (it's partnered to my home laptop) a message came up telling me that I had to unlock the iPhone screen before anything could happen. I can't remember if that included iPhoto though.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
I submitted a report to Apple but of course, it was probably ignored.
They don't generally ignore feedback.

Forum Links
Forum Rules