Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Chiclet keys are actually a pretty good idea.

Chiclet keys are actually a pretty good idea.
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2010, 11:02 PM

I never liked the chiclet style keys, however they have impressed me recently. I got a call from my sister who was crying because she spilled about a quarter of a bottle of water in the keyboard of her first gen Core Duo Macbook, it wouldn't get give a ROM startup noise or show a screen, but the power cable still lit up blue on the magsafe connector. I popped the HD out and saved her data, I took the upper half (keyboard and track pad) off, and noticed that there was not a drop of water inside, they keyboard has some sort of rubber under the keys or something. This prevented any water of the large amount from hitting anything internal. It's actually a good design.

I am in the process of checking every nook and cranny inside to see if there are any droplets, but it's looking good so far. I have the board upside down with a fan flowing through it so we hopefully don't have to buy another upper half.

We will see, Jess

Update: I guess one of the ram sticks is bad or got wet, I pulled it and the machine booted fine, the keyboard even works too, going to leave it out all night to dry though.
( Last edited by Googer-Giger; Nov 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM. )
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2010, 11:12 PM

I always thought they were great to type on, but I had no idea about the construction of the KB on the MacBook. It's different on the backlit MBPs though.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2010, 06:03 AM

They aren't bad for small amounts I guess, but believe me you were lucky. Its not hard to get water or other liquids to go all the way through those keyboards. Even quite viscous ones like melted butter. Yum.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ibook_steve
Nov 15, 2010, 08:59 PM

I'd be more concerned about the blue light on the Magsafe connector you mention!

I'm assuming this is a typo since there is no blue light on the Magsafe.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2010, 01:16 PM

Yes, good catch, haha.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Forum Links
Forum Rules