Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Banks get Hacked: Is your money safe?

Banks get Hacked: Is your money safe?
akent35
Banned
Aug 29, 2014, 01:45 PM

This is VERY, VERY disturbing:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-s...150739974.html

The story actually came out a couple of days ago, but it's so, so scary! Hopefully, one uses a password that is rather hard to guess at. Can't believe that some people use a password as simple as 1234!

Be careful out there!

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
This is VERY, VERY disturbing:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-s...150739974.html

The story actually came out a couple of days ago, but it's so, so scary! Hopefully, one uses a password that is rather hard to guess at. Can't believe that some people use a password as simple as 1234!

Be careful out there!
My answer to the topic:

What money?

akent35  (op)
Banned
Sep 1, 2014, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
My answer to the topic:

What money?
My answer: my money! Fortunately, it seems to be safe at the two large banks I use.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 2, 2014, 07:06 AM

JP Morgan, Wells Fargo and a couple of others are more at risk than some other banks because they acquired a whole lot of "troubled" banks and loan companies. They didn't merge their computer systems well and the holes that wind up being exploited seem to be in either the older companies' less well maintained systems, or in the interfaces between the "big company" systems and the "small company" systems.

The whole structure of how some of these banks run since they took on all the other banks they bought or absorbed is why I changed banks several years ago. My bank isn't particularly "small," but it hasn't gobbled up failing banks and mortgage companies, and has instead invested in its infrastructure and wound up returning dividends to customers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules