Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > confused about hardware RAIDs

confused about hardware RAIDs
DeepDish
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2003, 10:38 PM

I run our network at our small office.

We have a G4 running ASIP over a gigabyte network for our artroom. (we have Mac OS Server X 10.2, but it is unusable because of the file permission problems; hoping this will be fixed 10.2.4)

Anyway, I no very little about RAIDs, but I think software RAIDs are not as good as hardware RAIDs.

So, I want to build my own hardware RAID. Don't they sell hardware RAIDs that are completely independate of the server?

Or do I have to buy a special RAID card for our G4 that I attach a bunch of ATA drives to.

If so, what if these drives won't fit in the G4 enclosure, can I make my own external enclosure that connects via a special cable back to the RAID card in the G4?

Sorry for so many questions,

DD

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2003, 05:33 AM

Originally posted by DeepDish:
Anyway, I no very little about RAIDs, but I think software RAIDs are not as good as hardware RAIDs.
Depends on usage. Software RAIDs use the main system CPU to maintain the RAID, so has the potential to impact server performance.
Whether you'll notice this or not depends largely on server volume and the nature of the disk activity (proportion of reads to writes, large vs. small files, etc.)

So, I want to build my own hardware RAID. Don't they sell hardware RAIDs that are completely independate of the server?
Yes, there's many vendors who do this, from the few hundred gigs up to terabytes. The technology also varies depending on the size of the RAID (number of disks, size, RAID type, etc.). ATA at the low end, through SCSI and up to Fiber Channel

Or do I have to buy a special RAID card for our G4 that I attach a bunch of ATA drives to.
You don't have to get a special card, but you can.
Be aware though that ATA only supports 2 drives per channel. Some hardware cards include 2 channels, meaning you can attach 4 drives, but that's about it. SCSI, on the other hand, can handle 15 devices per channel, and Fiber Channel can handle 56.
Also, ATA-100 can only support drives up to 137GB. You'll need ATA-133, SCSI or Fiber Channel to get larger drives.
Some vendors sell external FireWire devices, but these are typically ATA devices on a FireWire bridge.

If so, what if these drives won't fit in the G4 enclosure, can I make my own external enclosure that connects via a special cable back to the RAID card in the G4?
You can fit 4 (or arguably 5) drives inside the standard G4 tower case. If you need more than this then you HAVE to use an external array.
ATA does not support external devices (due to cable length, shielding, and other issues), so SCSI, Fiber Channel, or FireWire arrays are your only option if you need more than 4 drives. SCSI is the most common technology used for external arrays like this.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules