Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apps that don't work in 10.3

Apps that don't work in 10.3 (Page 4)
OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
the old version of ASM (the last free release) is working for me though.
What version of ASM are you referring to? Can you send me the version that you have working in 10.3?

Thanks,

[email protected]
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2003, 09:17 AM

My Palm Hotsync is not working. When I try to reinstall PalmDesktop it shows a message that the install is not ok.

I'm using 7B85.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 12:19 PM

Macstumbler *is* working.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 12:30 PM

"I have not tested this, but I guarantee Carbon Copy Cloner will need an update."

CCC works fine, actually. Wasn't the safest thing to do, but it worked flawlessly.

dcsmrgun
Oct 17, 2003, 01:04 PM

I noticed that BitTorrent 3.3 unexp. quits. I haven't investigated why yet.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
This is NOT the same plugin as above. 3.0.3 did not work on any machine on our network in Panther.
Wonder what could be wrong, I've got it working here.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2003, 03:52 PM

This is NOT the same plugin as above. 3.0.3 did not work on any machine on our network in Panther.
And just to clarify...the MSN issue has nothing to do with Panther.

Sheep
Oct 17, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by S|ntax:
I did a clean install of Panther and tonight reinstalled office:x, when i tried to run the four updates the first one kept freezing up on me. has anyone been able to run the updates successfully?
Worked fine here. Did the 2 first updates without a problem, haven't installed the two last ones though...

Bugsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2003, 06:26 PM

If you have a zoned AppleTalk network, you can't browse AppleTalk zones for servers, as AppleTalk zones no longer show up in the Network browser.

This is completely stupid, because you can browse AppleTalk zones for printers in the Printer Selection Utility.

The Network Utility will happily display the AppleTalk zones on your network -but not let you do anything with them. Duuuuh.

And you can connect to servers on AppleTalk zones, but you have to know their names to enter into the "Connect to Server" window.

But there's NO BROWSING AppleTalk Zones for Network Servers. (Works in Jaguar.)

DeepDish
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 09:53 PM

Since installing 10.3, Font Reserve no longer works in Quark Classic.

Reinstalled FR many times, no go.

It is as if the FR Xtension in Quark is the problem.

Mike2270
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by akuma-x:
None of the Haxies work because APE does not work on any Panther build yet.
That's a bummer about the Unsanity haxies, but I have to think that the Unsanity team is already on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have updates to all their haxies waiting for the 24th. Although with Expos� I wonder if I'll really miss Windowshade X?

On another note, one app I use CONSTANTLY and am concerned won't work is MacReporter. Anyone use that? Does it work on Panther? I have this sinking feeling it doesn't work, which is gonna TOTALLY suck for me if that's the case. I haven't heard a peep from Inferiis about compatibility with Panther. I guess we'll just have to see.

alexiskai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 01:03 AM

On both b80 and b85, my Logitech wheel mouse will freeze up if the monitor goes to sleep. Computer wakes up, you can type and click, but not move. Unplugging and replugging sometimes clears it up but not always. This occurs with and without the LCC drivers.

Retrospect 5.0 is behaving very strangely, but that may be due to other factors.

The Cisco VPN Client v4.0.1 crashes on launch for a colleague of mine but works fine for me, although configuring the built-in VPN seems to mess it up.

Photoshop and Office are running fine, but I installed them in 10.2 and copied them over.

I used the cloning functionality in Disk Utility to clone the boot drive (internal 120GB) to a 40GB FireWire drive, then swapped the drives and tried to boot from the (now-internal) 40GB drive. Boot failed. Booted from the (now-FireWire) 120GB drive, opened Disk Utility, ran permissions repair, got repair notices on practically every file. Rebooted, worked fine. So it would seem that DU still has some ground to make up before it's as good as CCC.

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 03:45 AM

How is VLC working?
I know it had some problems in the WWDC release, but i haven't heard much since then. I would love to test it out myself, but i don't have panther (nor like to have it).

It was a problem with Audio if i remember correctly. sometimes it couldn't be initialised.

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by Mike2270:
That's a bummer about the Unsanity haxies, but I have to think that the Unsanity team is already on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have updates to all their haxies waiting for the 24th.
http://www.unsanity.org/

They've already released Panther-compatible betas of their haxies.

webertk421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Since EBCDIC:
What doesn't work for me is the Apple Remote Desktop for 10.2 installer: the actual app isn't installed. Grrrr.
If you have Remote desktop installed before you upgrade Panther, it adds a new build [v. 1.2 5A22] which works.

You cannot view/edit user information in workgroup manager. I'll bet they don't fix that so you have to upgrade your server to 10.3! Ha ha... jerks...

webertk421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
My Palm Hotsync is not working. When I try to reinstall PalmDesktop it shows a message that the install is not ok.

I'm using 7B85.
What are you installing from? I ask because Stuffit doesn't unstuff the installer from the site correctly and installations fail near the end. Work around: use unstuff [file} in the terminal if you have stuffit deluxe CLI tools installed.

freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 04:13 PM

AFS Monitor doesn't work for me in 10.3, it seems that turning on AppleFileServer activity logging using Netinfo Manager (or SharePoints which modifies the Netinfo entries for you) had no effect anymore,i.e no log is created. I even tried turning it on and creating an empty log file by copying and renaming the AppleFileServerErrors.log and clearing it, but no entries are written to the new log.

Just tried creating an AFS share with SharePoints and that too did not work.

deanburchell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 04:42 PM

InDesign doesn't work for me without quitting out too regularly to use with any practicality.

Photoshop and Illustrator seem fine. Acrobat and Acrobar Distiller work fine. Freehand seems fine. Extensis Suitcase X1 works as well - though font management has been a bit bumpy (nothing that I haven't everntually gotten to work out.)

Lecynique
Oct 18, 2003, 07:50 PM

And I just stumbled on Netbarrier 10.3 causes a kernal panic [/B]
Just woke up and just flush "NetBarrier" and "NetUpdate" from Startup items that NetBarrier X 10.3 installer put there and force compute to quit at starting. Then I restart and everything went well but I run the uninstaller of NetBarrier X 10.3 just to be sure.

They release that X 10.3 version on 8/25/2003 and it just f***ng only make you freak after you just install it!

NetBarrier X 10.3 and Mac OS X 10.3 can't work together
( Last edited by Lecynique; Oct 18, 2003 at 08:55 PM. )

g3_brandon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by darkhawk64:
Candybar doesn't work for me in 7B85.
I haven't had a problem with CandyBar at all...do you have the latest version that was fixed to work with 10.2.8?
Brandon
--
Dual 2.0GHz G5, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2003, 12:14 AM

Has anyone been keeping track of all the aps with problems, and can they summarize them all in one post?

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2003, 12:57 AM

I don't see the point of Net Barrier in the first place. It seems that application tends to cause issues more then anything.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

cynikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 02:25 AM

Has anyone gotten Resorcerer 2.4.1 to work under Panther? It runs bot won't let me edit anything

NetStatInDock and LoadInDock don't work for me.. Good thing there's Menu Meters!

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
Menumeter doesn't work after a reboot, you have to re-launch it.
I've had this exact problem, but i emailed the author and as it turns out, you have to erase a preference file, com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

Originally posted by alex_wlu_82:
what about http mail plugin for mail.app? does this work for anyone?
I imported my settings, along with this plugin, MAIL said it wasn't compatible.. maybe a new version works with it but the version i had did not (i erased it so i don't recall what version it was).

Originally posted by dcsmrgun:
I noticed that BitTorrent 3.3 unexp. quits. I haven't investigated why yet.
Bittorrent 3.2.2a seems to work better anyway.. even though it doesn't have that partial file allocation vs full file allocation behaviour, i'm sticking with 3.2.2a, less buggy

Originally posted by The DJ:
How is VLC working?
I know it had some problems in the WWDC release, but i haven't heard much since then. I would love to test it out myself, but i don't have panther (nor like to have it).

It was a problem with Audio if i remember correctly. sometimes it couldn't be initialised.
VLC works great.. still the best platform-independant multimedia viewer.

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2003, 02:56 AM

Marine Aquarium screensaver 2.0 has problems rendering under Panther 10.3 7B85. A big vertical white stripe appears on screen, plus the screensaver doesn't come on despite the time you specify it to do so.

outZider
Oct 19, 2003, 03:39 AM

Logitech Control Center works just fine.

For, y'know, the FIRST TIME EVER.

Go, Logitech!

superfula
Senior User
Oct 19, 2003, 08:08 AM

Proteus has worked fine for me in every build of Panther I tried, including 7B85. I only use it for msn too. Zero problems.

daftpig
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2003, 08:11 AM

erm, no one here uses USBOverdrive?

does that work? thanks.

faragbre967
Senior User
Oct 19, 2003, 10:17 AM

BitTorrent 3.3 doesn't work.

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2003, 12:51 PM

Has anyone tried running Quanta under X11 in Panther? If so, how'd that work?
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by webertk421:
What are you installing from? I ask because Stuffit doesn't unstuff the installer from the site correctly and installations fail near the end. Work around: use unstuff [file} in the terminal if you have stuffit deluxe CLI tools installed.
I unstuffed the .sit file from Terminal, but I'm still receiving the same message error near the end:

"Installation did not complete successfully. Do you wish to attempt to reinstall the software or quit?"

I don't know what to do...

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2003, 01:24 PM

That's a bummer about the Unsanity haxies, but I have to think that the Unsanity team is already on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have updates to all their haxies waiting for the 24th. Although with Expos� I wonder if I'll really miss Windowshade X?

On another note, one app I use CONSTANTLY and am concerned won't work is MacReporter. Anyone use that? Does it work on Panther? I have this sinking feeling it doesn't work, which is gonna TOTALLY suck for me if that's the case. I haven't heard a peep from Inferiis about compatibility with Panther. I guess we'll just have to see.
They already have alpha/beta versions of APE and WindowShade and FruitMenu at unsanity.org. I'll play it risky(R) and get 'em if finals aren't aviliable when I get my preordered copy of Panther.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2003, 01:25 PM

They already have alpha/beta versions of APE and WindowShade and FruitMenu at unsanity.org. I'll play it risky(R) and get 'em if finals aren't aviliable when I get my preordered copy of Panther. They tell people not to link to them, so I won't. I'll just let you type in the address.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by daftpig:
erm, no one here uses USBOverdrive?

does that work? thanks.
it works, but it disables the volume/mute/eject keys. I'm sure an update will fix it very soon.

zos
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2003, 03:06 PM

Don't worry, It works like a charm!

graffix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2003, 07:34 PM

Do not under any circumstances try to use the Freeware Silk (the old version 1.2) from Unsanity... it'll kill all carbon apps and cause the finder to go into an constant loop that is only stopped with a hard restart.
I even had to reinstall Panther the first time this happened when it was in my Login items.
Just FYI for anybody that still uses it.
First there was man, then there was Macintosh

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by graffix:
Do not under any circumstances try to use the Freeware Silk (the old version 1.2) from Unsanity... it'll kill all carbon apps and cause the finder to go into an constant loop that is only stopped with a hard restart.
I even had to reinstall Panther the first time this happened when it was in my Login items.
I had the same situation. The key is to go into System Preferences and turn it off, or kill it in the Terminal (I forget which approach I used), and then remove it from the login items. No system reinstall needed.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by superfula:
Proteus has worked fine for me in every build of Panther I tried, including 7B85. I only use it for msn too. Zero problems.
Great. It works for some. However, this IS a known problem and it's obviously related to Panther as it works with 10.2.x.

But that other MSN-plugin worked just fine. As long as it's included with 3.0.4 at Panther's release I don't care much

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

bioelectroniq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 03:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by darkhawk64:
[B]Candybar doesn't work for me in 7B85.

CandyBar will not work until Panic changes how the application saves the icon files. In previous OS X systems, the icons were kept in the HIToolbox resource. This is no longer the case. The system icons are now conveniently stored as ICNS resources in /System/Library/Core Services/SystemIcons.bundle.

As for myself, all applications I use daily work marvelously....except Resorcerer....this application sorely needs updating.

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by alexiskai:
On both b80 and b85, my Logitech wheel mouse will freeze up if the monitor goes to sleep. Computer wakes up, you can type and click, but not move. Unplugging and replugging sometimes clears it up but not always. This occurs with and without the LCC drivers.
Ah! This is it? I switch OFF the energy saver and get rid of this problem till 10.3.1? THANK YOU!

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2003, 09:33 AM

These don't work for me:

DVD2One X
UnRarX
MlMac

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by daydreamer:
These don't work for me:

DVD2One X
UnRarX
MlMac
UnRarX and MlNET (!) are working here...

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by daydreamer:
MlMac
Works fine here.

Are you using the current version - 0.7?

It's been out a while.

-s*

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by graffix:
You can hold down the <shift> key during login to disable all APE modules. Note that this is not during startup, it's as you're logging into your account.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 11:01 AM

Bit Torrent 3.3 crashes on me when trying to write a file... Anyone have a link to 3.2.2a since it seems to be ok?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:
transparent dock i am really sad about that one b/c i used it to turn the arrows in the dock white. pretty much any dock apps.
i also had problems with all the adium2 builds.
Is this confirmed? This is the program I used to make the dock transparent. Since I would prefer not to install a haxie.

Lecynique
Oct 21, 2003, 03:24 PM

StickyBrain just can't read my data file one on two.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 04:09 PM

bittorrent 3.3 will work if you install xcode. i don't know any more than that.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 08:39 AM

Marine Aquarium has just been updated to run with Panther.
Has anyone tried it?

dividend
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 05:33 PM

has anyone tried ghost recon with 10.3? For me it starts ok, but when you chose action like play a campagin it quits.

w3 works fine, just have to change all permissions to read and write for all.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
bittorrent 3.3 will work if you install xcode. i don't know any more than that.
Mmmm, nope, not on my machine.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules