Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ichat 3.0 in tiger keeps crashing

ichat 3.0 in tiger keeps crashing
hkellogg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 11:06 AM

is there anyway to reinstall this....Ichat in panther never gave me this problem.....and its frustrating because it does it every couple of hours and sometimes when I receive a messsage and I totally miss who it was from.....any help would be appreciated thanks

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2005, 09:36 AM

same here, Ichat wont work what so ever, runs for 3 seecs then quits not even a error msg or anything. i reinstalled ichat ( used the ichat package thats on tiger dvd) still same problem. reinstalled tiger again and still same problem.. would love to know if there is a way to fix this other then do a clean install ( dont feel like formating my hd)

thanks again

Toyin
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by hkellogg
is there anyway to reinstall this....Ichat in panther never gave me this problem.....and its frustrating because it does it every couple of hours and sometimes when I receive a messsage and I totally miss who it was from.....any help would be appreciated thanks
Any solution to this? I'm having the same problem. This is on a zeroed drive and a new install. I migrated my users with the firewire option.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Toyin
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 04:16 PM

Well I got home and hooked up my iSight which took me through the set up process. iChat has been stable since.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 03:58 PM

In Apple's support forum, there are a lot of reports of problems involving iChat AV 3.0 with people having trouble connecting to each other and performance issues with video dropping to 1 frame per second or worse. It is clear that there are serious bugs in iChat with Tiger. I myself am unable to connect with other Macs using iChat on Tiger because of "insufficient bandwidth," which I never had with Panther. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the next Tiger update is going to have a fix for this yet.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 05:54 PM

Runs fine on my 12" powerbook.. Quits a lot on my G5 iMac though. Trashing all ichat prefs helped a lot, but still happens from time to time on the iMac. Not once on the 12" powerbook though, and I use that a lot more. Strange..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Buck_W
Senior User
May 12, 2005, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by rtamesis
In Apple's support forum, there are a lot of reports of problems involving iChat AV 3.0 with people having trouble connecting to each other and performance issues with video dropping to 1 frame per second or worse. It is clear that there are serious bugs in iChat with Tiger. I myself am unable to connect with other Macs using iChat on Tiger because of "insufficient bandwidth," which I never had with Panther. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the next Tiger update is going to have a fix for this yet.
Since upgrading to Tiger and iChat 3, we have not been able to connect with our daughter (which we were able to consistently do without problems in Panther). After reading the HUNDREDS of posts on Apple's discussion boards, I'm convinced the iChat in Tiger has major bugs and this is turning into a major embarrassment for Apple.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules