Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Thanx...and more RAM question

Thanx...and more RAM question
milesDanek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 10:18 AM

Thanks to all that responded to my original "dual processors" post. I'm willing to wait a bit for the new generation of Macs to come out soon (hopefully), but what can I do with my present G4 400 MHz, 128 RAM unit. I get repeated crashes/freezes and on the Web, I often have to "refresh page" because my AOL icon freezes...seems like I need to give this computer a boost of some sort. I hate to put more money into it because it is now 5 years old and all people I've talked to tell me to buy a new computer. I would and willing to wait but would love to get my present running better in the mean time. Apple store/CDW want $100-125 for 256 RAM, will this solve my problem? Again... better advice is really needed. Thank you all again.
Miles Danek
Miles Danek

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 10:36 AM

here's what you do:

If your G4 is the pci graphics version:
http://www.datamem.com/viewitems.asp...ac%5FMemory&K=

If your G4 is the agp graphics version:
http://www.datamem.com/viewitems.asp...ac%5FMemory&K=

Lifetime warranty, great service
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 04:27 PM

What OS are you running on that G4 400?

Internet apps are famous for causing freezes and crashes, especially in MacOS 9. If you can temporarily bump up the amount of physical RAM that would help in MacOS 9 and MacOS X. In MacOS 9 you would also have to bump up the memory allocated to the apps you use. You would have to double or triple the memory allocated to the apps.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

milesDanek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 06:10 PM

I'm running 9.2...been having more problems with this using the internet than with my former 8.6. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and just get a new mac instead of tinckering with the old one at 400MHz. Increasing memory may not solve the problem. I have a lot of family members using this computer and don't know what all that's been added/deleted...which may be another problem altogether.
Miles Danek

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 06:24 PM

Miles,

You will find MacOSX more stable, and much more modern. However, more ram is always better, in X or 9.2, especially if you are planning to work with photos. Of course, getting a new Mac is the best solution, if you have the money
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

tsukurite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2004, 02:04 PM

You might want to consider applying some upgrades to that machine instead of buying a new one. I've upgraded my G4/450 to 1.4ghz, added a gig of RAM and a superdrive. With all these upgrades, it feels like I have a new machine. Plus the cost is a fraction of a new machine. Also, you don't have to take a big budgetary hit all at once either, as the upgrades can be done over time.

However, running OS9, with multiple users can cause major headaches. Backing up crucial info and reinstalling would help significantly. A better solution (IMHO) would be to bite the bullet and upgrade to OSX. The ability to have multiple accounts and keep all those unique users files separate would probably be a great fit for your situation.

YMMV

Forum Links
Forum Rules