Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new purchase

new purchase
therese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2004, 06:59 AM

i currently have the graphite imac with dial up modem...in june i would like to purchase the most recent imac or emac with dsl...can you kindly advise me? i have some computer knowledge...i am a teacher and use the computer for school.
thank you !
rose

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 08:24 AM

Well it really depends on what your going to use it for, and your budget. If I had a choice between the two, I would select the iMac. The 1.25MHz specifically, but if budget is a concern then the emac should work fine. the $999 eMac and the 1299 iMac have comparable features, other then the screen.

Mike

willab
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2004, 09:51 AM

I usually reccomend the eMac, unless the screen is an issue. The eMacs are currently faster, but this may change at WWDC. A friend of mine just got his eMac in yesterday; he loves it. I used an eMac for a year and I was very happy with it. I definetely advise getting a superdrive model even if you don't think you'll use it, you will. Doesn't this belong in the iMac / eMac forum?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 09:56 AM

Agreed. The newest eMac and current iMac have very similar specifications.
I suggest the 17" iMac. The screen is very nice - bright, sharp and roomy (1400x900 widescreen). Plenty of room for applications.
If you want to save a few bucks, the eMac is a good choice. Very similar specs and inexpensive. The 17" CRT will do a maximum of 1280x960 resolution.

Either one, for basic applications like Office, Photoshop Elements, web/email, iPhoto, etc., will provide enough oomph. Just make sure you add some RAM to either machine after it arrives; its far more expensive to buy the RAM from Apple as opposed to installing it yourself.

therese  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2004, 12:40 PM

thank you, to all of the above for your reply on MacNN.
may i impose on your expertise further?
no, money is not an issue with my new purchase. for my students, i will be creating brochures, booklets, etc....i would like to use photoshop, flash, inspiritation....the present iMac i have is soooooooooooooo slow when i do research on line. also, i don't have the necessary plug-ins currently.
i will be making the purchase with a scanner, good printer, and the superdrive.

i don't not want the complications of cable...and, i've outgrown dial-up...isn't dsl the best choice for me?

thank you any consideration you can give this matter!

therese
rose

willab
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2004, 01:01 PM

Complications of cable? I have cable and I have never had a problem.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

therese  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2004, 01:32 PM

yes, i did experience some difficulty with the installing of cable...my limited understanding of dsl is i can install it myself with the proper software.
rose

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 01:36 PM

Cable on a Mac is basically plug n' play. Once you have the TV cable plugged into the modem and the ethernet cable plugged into your computer, restart the computer and you should be ready to go. DSL should be fine but cable is faster.

osxisfun
May 22, 2004, 01:45 PM

Just in case, you may want to delay your purchase to the day after june 28 since that's when the apple dev conference is going to be. although its really only slim chance that they would release an imac then...

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 01:59 PM

What he ^ said. If you wait till August, Apple usually has back to school promos (reduced prices or rebates on printers/iPods/etc when purchased with a Mac) for which edu customers are qualified.

And add enough memory to reach at least 1 gigabyte.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 03:28 PM

I think your going to have better luck with going with cable then with DSL, believe it or not it seems the cable guys have better reputations (support wise) then the dsl support folks do. Now maybe things have changed since I last heard that but its a consideration.

If you believe the commericals that running then cable will be faster then dsl also.

If you have an apple store or a compusa, take a visit to them. The best advice I can offer is take a test drive. You may not like the look and/or the feel of a particular model and only playing around with one in the store can show you that.

The specs for both the eMac and iMac are pretty darn close while the price is in the eMac's favor. I prefer the 17" lcd of the iMac plus take a look at the foot print and how it will occupy your desk the iMac has a small form factor - at least the base does.

the other advice of waitin (I know its hard) is good. Apple may release updates to some of lines so you might get a better bang for you buck.

Good Luck
Mike

therese  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2004, 07:36 PM

The above replies are EXCELLENT! I will definately wait until July to purchase the new iMac...the 17"lcg sounds good...I don't want to wait too close to September since I will need to become comfortable with the new iMac before school begins. Our school uses iMac, but, the computer training courses I took were on the PC...I experienced tremendous difficulty working with two different platforms....I learned from horror that I need to be de-stressed before going near a computer...hence, the summer purchase is more realistic emotionally!

RE: cable...I live in a fairly old house. In fact, I purchased it from the original owner. The wires are old. I just thought DSL would be less intrusive...maybe I should re-consider...

Thanks, again!

PS> Where is the Apple conference with the newest models going to be held? Is it open to the public?
rose

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by therese:

PS> Where is the Apple conference with the newest models going to be held? Is it open to the public?
People are talking about the World Wide Developers Conference in San Francisco.

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/index.html

It a conference open to developers only and not open to the public. Most things discussed there are under NDA and relate to the arcane arts of development!

Technically there is no confirmation that any hardware will be announced. What people put forward are guesses only as to when we will see new things...

But these are guesses based on fact.

For the last few years there have been products announced at, or around the time of the WWDC conference, so it is a good bet there will be updates around this time this year.

However, Apple have moved away from announcing at conferences and Macworld, so I would not be surprised to see announcements on a random Tuesday or something... it is best to just keep your eyes on the Apple site!

Good luck with it!

Marc

therese  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2004, 10:29 PM

Thanks, Marc, for the conference info....according to what I just reviewed the next iMac will be the Mas OS X, "Tiger." Is that the iMac I should purchase?...I want the most updated one...I was surprise, Apple utilizing animal names and not a new color with the OS X...how come? Isn't "Ice" the most recent model?

RE: the conference is WAAAAAAAY out of my ball park...hotel is $200.00 per night AND the $7, 000.00 e-ticket! I could purchase a couple of iMac's on that tab!
rose

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 10:44 PM

To the iMac Forum Batman!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

therese  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2004, 11:09 PM

forgive me....but, i do not understand the batman reference...
rose

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 11:36 PM

What the moderator meant was that our discussion pretty much is dealing with iMacs and eMacs; however, you originally posted in the PowerMac forum. Not a big deal, it just helps keep things sorted in our happy forums.

Regarding OS X 10.4 "Tiger": it probably won't be finalized and released until this fall at the earliest, so any Mac purchased this summer will have 10.3 "Panther" as its operating system.

Londor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2004, 11:44 PM

according to what I just reviewed the next iMac will be the Mas OS X, "Tiger." Is that the iMac I should purchase?...I want the most updated one...I was surprise, Apple utilizing animal names and not a new color with the OS X...how come? Isn't "Ice" the most recent model?
The batman reference is not the only thing you did not understand.

Krusty
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Londor:

Anyhoo ... always wait as long as you can and buy when you absolutetly need to. You'll always come out better that way. The eMac was recently updated. The iMac update should come pretty soon. Wait to see what the next iMac has to offer and make your decision then. I just plopped down the moolah for a superdrive eMac. Unless the next iMac is a 2.0ghz G5, I think I made the right decision.

therese  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2004, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Londor:
I guess the term "user-friendly" refers totally to the machine and not the operator...

We all need to learn....
rose

therese  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2004, 03:37 AM

thanks krusty & scotti....i found your post helpful! as a teacher, i would give you guys A++++++++++++++++++++++++
rose

milesDanek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2004, 07:32 PM

Hi Rose,
Be aware that whatever Apple introduces at the conference may not be available untiln August or September. Too late for your plans. I am considering the 1.25 iMac NOW with my education discount. riginally planned to get a G5 dual, but that seemed too much over-kill for my needs at this time. Good luck...what do you teach?
MPD
Miles Danek

Forum Links
Forum Rules