Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Altec Lansing FX 6021 Speakers

Altec Lansing FX 6021 Speakers
nycdunz
Senior User
May 14, 2005, 10:10 PM

Anyone have a set of these. I just ordered mine... and I notice it acting funny. It's been working fine for the first day... then later on I notice the sound shut off totally, but the controller lights were still on, and I couldn't turn the thing off. I had to unplug it. I tried repluggin it back in, and the power light blinks and then goes on steady. But sill no sound? So i gave it a rest, and today it worked... but the same thing happened after like an hour. The sound cuts off, and i can't turn the thing off... sigh any ideas? I let it rest again for a few hours, but this time have it hooked up to the LINE OUT on my ipod dock... and all seems to be working fine... Do you think its becaused i hooked it up to the headphone jacks on my powerbook thats causing the problem? Please help. I want to know soon, so i can return these if they're defective... I'm currently testing it now for the past 3-4 hrs, and its working great now...

if you guys experienced similar problems, please help me out. Thanks

I ordered em from newegg.com

ghostgrrl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 10:52 AM

As I had mentioned in another thread re: the altec lansing fx-6021 speakers, I've had mine for several months now and I haven't experienced the problems you've been having. like you, I have mine hooked up to the headphone jack of my pb 12" rev. d and it's worked flawlessly so far, so I don't think that's your problem. I think that's how it's mainly meant to be hooked up... unless something's wrong with your headphone jack to your powerbook. do you have access to another set of speakers to rule out that the problem isn't your headphone jack? have you noticed any problems when using headphones with your computer? if you haven't experienced any other problems with your headphone jack, then in all likelihood you might have defective speakers.
12" PowerBook 1.5gHz/100gb hd/SD/1.25 gb RAM

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 04:10 PM

Yeah.. a few weeks.. no problems.

BZ

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 04:07 AM

sigh i think my speakers may be defective... my headphone port works fine... i tested it with other speakers and my earbuds, no problem... i dont want to take any risks... so i might ship these back for a replacement... sigh... just my luck, geez!

the problem happens randomly, sometime it works great and other times it locks up... i have no idea what the hell is going on. I really hate the idea of having to ship back n forth...

does your power button every flash real fast before it stays on steady? Mine does that sometimes and thats when i know the thing isn't going to work...

also do you guys get a loud popping noise everytime you turn the thing on? It's annoying... im starting to think its just my speakers. You guys don't seem to be having these issues?

ghostgrrl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by nycdunz
sigh i think my speakers may be defective... my headphone port works fine... i tested it with other speakers and my earbuds, no problem... i dont want to take any risks... so i might ship these back for a replacement... sigh... just my luck, geez!

the problem happens randomly, sometime it works great and other times it locks up... i have no idea what the hell is going on. I really hate the idea of having to ship back n forth...

does your power button every flash real fast before it stays on steady? Mine does that sometimes and thats when i know the thing isn't going to work...

also do you guys get a loud popping noise everytime you turn the thing on? It's annoying... im starting to think its just my speakers. You guys don't seem to be having these issues?
I don't think I've ever seen the power indicator light flash. once I push the button, it's on and it stays on (steady, no flashing) until I turn it off. I seem to recall somewhere in the user manual that to avoid that popping noise you hear, you have to turn the speakers on first before powering on, or waking from sleep, your computer... maybe that might be part of the problem? the sequence of powering on peripherals/computer? although, I must admit that I have done it both ways without a problem and without a popping noise, but maybe your particular system is more finicky, for some reason.

that's a bummer if you have to send them back. it's heavy too, so I hope you don't get ripped with the shipping costs. but for speakers in this price range, you shouldn't have to settle for anything less than perfect.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 04:23 AM

so, when the speakers are hooked up on your powerbook... you play a song on itunes 1st, and then power em on?

Either way i always here that click/pop noise... even tho i turn my comp on first or speakers on first it doesnt make a difference, I *always* get that popping noise no matter what.

also, how loud do you usually have the controller at and for how long?

The longest ive had mine on were for maybe 5-6 hours, with the volume being in the middle (3rd light)...

i notice this problem started happening when i didnt have the speakers hooked up to anything for the entire night, they were unplugged from my powerbook, but i forgot to turn the power off, i wonder if this caused it to act funny...

also im kinda confused by the manual saying the standby button. Now is the standby button on the remote control the same as the power/on off button on the wired controller? or is it just to mute it? Cuz i noticed when i press the power button on the controller and on the remote, it does the same thing... the light both goes off.
( Last edited by nycdunz; May 17, 2005 at 04:38 AM. )

ghostgrrl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 04:35 AM

so, when the speakers are hooked up on your powerbook... you play a song on itunes 1st, and then power em on?

Either way i always here that click/pop noise... even tho i turn my comp on first or speakers on first it doesnt make a difference, I *always* get that popping noise no matter what.
honestly, I've never really thought much about the sequence. but usually, I wake my computer from sleep, then, I push the button to turn on the speakers. like I said before, it doesn't seem to matter in my case as it works both ways and without it popping.

do the speakers always work when you have it hooked up to your ipod? I find that very strange.

at any rate, it should work on your computer first and foremost. dang, it looks like you've got defective speakers.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 04:47 PM

BZ, does your speakers pop at all when you turn it on?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 04:50 PM

BZ, does your speakers pop at all when you turn it on?
Not that I remember. I will try again when I get home.

BZ

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 12:49 AM

bz? did you get a chance?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 04:38 PM

bz? did you get a chance?
Got a chance. Turned them on, but forgot to listen for a pop. I don't remember one, but will try again.

BZ

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 10:09 PM

Ok... I tried it...

It makes a little "vvvwwwp" sound when turned on, but that is it. Not so much a pop.

BZ

Forum Links
Forum Rules