Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Unlock For Canada - Might Be The Real Deal

iPhone Unlock For Canada - Might Be The Real Deal
freudling
Banned
Aug 2, 2007, 02:20 AM

Either this person is really stupid and thinks people will show up to buy the phone and NOT test the phone with their FIDO or Rogers SMS card, or, they really have an unlocked iPhone that can be used with Rogers or FIDO with full phone features.

IPHONE 8 GIG. PHONE FEATURES UNLOCKED ON ROGERS/ FIDO

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-08-01, 10:26PM

HI I HAVE A ALMOST BRAND NEW IPHONE FOR SALE, THAT IS UNLOCKED TO USE IPOD, WIFI, AND SMS, AND PHONE FUNCTIONS ON ROGERS OR FIDO.THIS IS THE ONLY PHONE IN VANCOUVER UNLOCKED FOR PHONE FUNCTIONS!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME TO ASK HOW I UNLOCKED IT. IM ASKING 730 CASH. BRAND NEW ONLY OPENED BOX TO PUT UNLOCK SOFTWARE ON IT. NO VISIBLE SCRATCHES. THANKS

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2007, 02:50 AM

Hmm. Someone who writes in all caps figured out how to unlock the iPhone? Or someone is looking to steal a large chunk of cash from someone... Which could it be...?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 2, 2007, 03:03 AM

Or, someone who wants people to pay attention to it because they really need the money. There are a crap load of iPhones for sale coming up in Vancouver. Clearly nobody spending this kind of money for this particular product is going to meet this guy on East Hastings St. So like I said, either he is really stupid, or it is legit.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2007, 03:13 AM

It's that kind of logic that supplies people like him with victims. You really think that with all of the hackers out there competing to be the first to truly unlock the iPhone, that the first one would show up in a poorly written Craigslist ad?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 2, 2007, 03:24 AM

Whatever icruise, you know it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Or, someone who wants people to pay attention to it because they really need the money. There are a crap load of iPhones for sale coming up in Vancouver. Clearly nobody spending this kind of money for this particular product is going to meet this guy on East Hastings St. So like I said, either he is really stupid, or it is legit.
Sure, freudling.

Just like the dozens of auctions that show up on eBay every week for unlocked iPhones here in Europe are legit.

Just like those people you were in contact with actually unlocked the iPhone using that super simple method with the Windows software you described in that thread five weeks ago - IIRC, it only took them four days, right?

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 11:08 AM

Simple logic will tell you that any hacker who has the brains and wherewithal to do something like this would get much more mileage and reputation out of publishing the exploit on the web.

Unlocking and tethering to Rogers and Fido = good come-on for the marks.

vln2
Aug 2, 2007, 11:31 AM

Just because iPhone in Canada will show different carrier then AT&T it does not mean iPhone is unlocked.
I came back from Royal Caribbean cruise and in every country and port iPhone was seamlessly acquiring local cell networks. I had fun running Field Tests and bandwidth tests on them including checking all Cuban towers on the way back. Their Edge runs fine at 160kbits - more then twice as fast as in Sarasota where I live. So as soon as you leave AT&T coverage iPhone will pick up any available network.
It is interesting that on Edge I was not always able to run Internet on Safari in some places like Cozumel or Belize but it was just enough to get email. Then you can use ship's cell or WiFi network.

Visnaut
Senior User
Aug 2, 2007, 12:15 PM

Is this your friend who hexxed the firmware?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 2, 2007, 01:19 PM

Or, another possibility for all you dogmatic posters. The buyer could meet with the seller of the iPhone and shake him down. If it can be used on those networks with Rogers/AT&T, what is most likely is the phone does work here, as the person used the Super SIM method to clone the SIM, but, you cannot make any calls, just receive.
( Last edited by freudling; Aug 2, 2007 at 01:27 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Or, another possibility for all you dogmatic posters. The buyer could meet with the seller of the iPhone and shake him down. If it can be used on those networks with Rogers/AT&T, what is most likely is the phone does work here, as the person used the Super SIM method to clone the SIM, but, you cannot make any calls, just receive.
Will you please just shut the **** up about your super sim bullshit?

Pretty ****ING please?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2007, 02:25 PM

Play nice.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 02:56 PM

freudling knows all there is to know about unlocking. The rest of you are just pretenders to the throne.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2007, 07:46 PM

Hexxalicious!

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=vln2;3445595]
I came back from Royal Caribbean cruise and in every country and port iPhone was seamlessly acquiring local cell networks. I had fun running Field Tests and bandwidth tests on them including checking all Cuban towers on the way back. Their Edge runs fine at 160kbits - more then twice as fast as in Sarasota where I live. So as soon as you leave AT&T coverage iPhone will pick up any available network. /QUOTE]

Watch out for the enormous ATT roaming bill!

One interesting post that I saw talked about how the iPhone along the Canadian border was picking up Edge networks on the Canadian side. That means you're roaming, which in turn means huge bills, especially disconcerting if you do a lot of Edge internet...like the guy who did $3000 of what he thought was free wi-fi roaming in Europe, but in reality was Edge roaming. After all, the only way you can turn off Edge roaming is by taking the SIM out! Which you're not gonna do if you're in the US but close to the Canadian border.

vln2
Aug 2, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by vln2 View Post
I came back from Royal Caribbean cruise and in every country and port iPhone was seamlessly acquiring local cell networks. I had fun running Field Tests and bandwidth tests on them including checking all Cuban towers on the way back. Their Edge runs fine at 160kbits - more then twice as fast as in Sarasota where I live. So as soon as you leave AT&T coverage iPhone will pick up any available network.
Originally Posted by amazing View Post
[
Watch out for the enormous ATT roaming bill!
I was curious myself what was going to happen. I looked today at the bill online and there are no extra charges for each day I was out there (both minutes and data). I was careful not to surf Internet in ports but to run quick bookmarked tests and I turned the iPhone off right after. I locked the iPhone in safe during land trips.
I used ship’s Cellular at Sea to receive some calls - they may have come between Key West and Cuba so I was not charged for them. I think Royal Caribbean forgot to charge me for WiFi on board. We will see if Cubans will come up later with some claims. We were going along their coast for a long time - nice mountain ranges.
AT@T has good coverage from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West. It was interesting to see that the iPhone racked up most data at night when I was sleeping and it was charging. I guess it was interacting with ship's Edge and there was no way to turn it off. Thank God I was not charged for that.
( Last edited by vln2; Aug 2, 2007 at 11:47 PM. )

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 12:53 AM

Good thinking!

I guess it stands to reason that Cuba wouldn't have any reciprocal roaming agreements with any US cellphone company. So, they have no way to bill you.

That wouldn't happen along the Canadian border. If you made a wireless call thru a Canadian tower, simply because the iphone captured that tower as the strongest, you'd get charged for a roaming call. You'd be able to dispute the call, but who is going to spend the time going thru ATT byzantine phone billing support? I used to have to do that at work, you could spend hours getting put on hold, getting transferred, and finally getting disconnected.

Anyway, thanks to all the publicity, ATT has forgiven that $3000 bill, as reported at macintouch.com. Apple probably pressured them into it, since ATT has never cared about bad publicity in the past.

Just remember that trick of taking the SIM card out: the wi-fi roaming and ipod functions will still work.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2007, 12:58 AM

On most phones you can manually select the carrier.

Surely you must be able to do this on the iPhone. If you couldn't, that would be majorly lame.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Aug 3, 2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
On most phones you can manually select the carrier.

Surely you must be able to do this on the iPhone. If you couldn't, that would be majorly lame.
It's funny you mention this. One time when I had freshly booted my iPhone, a Carrier option appeared under WiFi on the Settings screen. I tapped it and a loading screen came up for a few seconds, then Loading was replaced with Error. I backed out and tried it again with the same result. When I backed out the second time, the Carrier option did the shrink and disappear animation. Haven't seen the option since (this was before the 1.01 update). Haven't done any hacks or anything to my iPhone.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 01:23 PM

Just saw this post over a macintouch.com. Apparently, Rogers either doesn't yet have a way to bill ATT for roaming, or (of course) it might show up in the next billing cycle:

"Viviana Wong
I just got my latest bill from AT&T and all my edge internet surfing was clearly listed by the day, except for those days when I was surfing in Vancouver, B.C. where the edge network was provided by Rogers. It looks like AT&T had no way of measuring my usage load when I was there. I do not know whether this is going to remain so in the future."

iPhone

vln2
Aug 3, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Just saw this post over a macintouch.com. Apparently, Rogers either doesn't yet have a way to bill ATT for roaming, or (of course) it might show up in the next billing cycle.
That is basically what has happened to me. I think the key is in not overdoing the Edge on other networks. I was not interesting in surfing but in testing different network speeds. For surfing I used cruise ship's WiFi.
I just talked to AT&T and they do not see any extra charges at all. They did charge me for extra month ahead simpy because I bought iPhone 5 days after starting new account for my wife. T-Mobile used to charge 2 months behind, AT&T now charges one month ahead because of that 5 day difference. They just can't wait to get the money.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 5, 2007, 04:07 PM

These instructions were taken from a thread over at hackint0sh. Some who have done it succesfully can make and receive calls/sms. I have no idea the legality of it, so use at your own risk:

Tutorial: "Unlock" your iPhone with SuperSim
Let's start....

U will need::

1. iPhone
2. SIM Reader/Writer (Infinity USB Unlimited, Dynamite Programer(I used this) ,etc...)
3. SilverCard
4. V1 SIM card (U must be able to get Ki number)
5. Download - http://simemu.gsmhosting.net/SIM_EMU_6.01_CFG_v2.1.zip
- http://www.kinforce.com/down/kinforc...rsim/ws109.zip

:reparing your iPhone::

:Jailbreak:

Step 1
MAC - http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...dding_mac.html
WIN - http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...g_windows.html

Step 2
For already "fake activated" iPhones ,u need to have the AT&T SIM that it came with iPhone in it to get deactivation to work.

MAC - http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...intel_mac.html
WIN - http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...r_windows.html

After this steps U will have an "SuperSim compatible iPhone".

::Getting IMSI,ICCID & Ki number from your SIMs::

Step 1 - Your SIM

1. Put YOUR SIM card in programer
2. Run Woronscan
3. Click on "Tasks" then on "IMSI select" u will get a IMSI number, write it down.
4. Click on "Tasks" then on "Ki search", in pop-up window just click "Search", and wait,Ki extraction has began.(I was waiting for mine 40 min ) When u get it, write it down.

Step 2 - Getting IMSI,ICCID from AT&T SIM card which came with an iPhone

1. Put your AT&T SIM card in programer
2. Click on "Tasks" then on "IMSI select" u will get a IMSI number, write it down.
3. Click on "Tasks" then on "ICC select" u will get a ICCID number, write it down.
4. Close Woronscan
5. Remove SIM from programer

Now U have all "data" to make SuperSim.

::Making SuperSim::

1. Download & extract
http://www.rapi****re.com/files/4693....01_iPhone.rar
1.a Put your Silvercard in programer
2. Run Sim-Emu 6.01 Configurator v2.1
3. Click on Configure tab
4. Click "Read from disk" button
5. Browse to your downloaded Flash&EEPROM files, first double click on SIM_EMU_6.01_iphone.HEX and then double click on SIM_EMU_6.01_iphone_EP.HEX, now they are loaded,positions 0 and 9 are red colored,thats fine.

6. In position 0 , type in YOUR SIM IMSI and Ki, then a AT&T ICCID, for ADN/SMS/FDN# type 161, 15, 4, for SMS Centre type in your carrier SMS center number.

7. Now select position 9, here type only IMSI from AT&T SIM card, NOTHING ELSE!
8. In "Config mode" check "Card" circle button
9. Click on "Write to card" button,when its done, remove card from programer
10. Cutting down a large sim card
11. Power OFF your iPhone
12. Put your SuperSim in iPhone
13. Power ON iPhone, enjoy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules