Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > amazon.com television shipping?

amazon.com television shipping?
earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2009, 10:19 PM

Has anyone bought an oversized item from amazon.com ie. a tv? If so, is there shipping company reliable and is the delivery quick?

Cold Warrior
Jan 25, 2009, 10:25 PM

I bought a Samsung 40" LCD TV from them this summer. I don't recall who shipped it but delivery was by appointment (a 3-4 hour time window). However, I ordered another one for Christmas and the delivery company -- who was supposed to contact me -- never did. They sat on the TV for a week until I followed up on Dec 23rd. They offered to deliver by the 30th but of course that was useless. I wound up driving an hour to their depot to pick it up.

YMMV. Just keep an eye on the tracking status, call at the first hint of any delay, and then you should be fine.

I'd order from Amazon again though.

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2009, 10:33 PM

I would buy a tv from Best Buy, but this price on amazon.com is around $100 cheaper. But I think the company is called Eagle. There must be many depots in the US that work with this shipper. I read somewhere that it takes 1-2 weeks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2009, 10:53 PM

Amazon has decent large screen TV prices, but often even better prices can be found elsewhere online.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2009, 11:00 PM

I have bought 2 tvs from Amazon with no problems.

Prices are usually a little better than other places, but ad in no tax and free shipping and the price difference is huge.

Also, I have an Amazon Mastercard where you get points for every $1 you spend there and get gift certificates toward future purchases.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 26, 2009, 12:23 AM

My current TV was bought from Amazon. I didn't really have any problems with the shipping but that comes down to your individual shipping carrier service. I believe Amazon only uses UPS or USPS for shipping. Some shipping companies are better than others and some employees are better than others so your experience my vary. Large items such as TV are usually well packaged by the manufacturer so you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it being poorly packaged.

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
Prices are usually a little better than other places, but ad in no tax and free shipping and the price difference is huge.
That's one of the things I like about Amazon. Many of their items qualify for free shipping and no tax. The shipping cost for large items can actually be a huge savings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules