Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > why not iPad 2S?

why not iPad 2S?
simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2012, 10:11 PM

Didn't the iPhone versions going something like :- 1.0; 2G; 3G; 3GS; 4; 4S? Not exactly sure as Australia was late to get the phone.

If the upcoming iPad is not that different in form to the current iPad then whats to stop Apple from naming it iPad 2S? Just like iPhone 3 & 4.

discuss....
this sig intentionally left blank

P
Mar 3, 2012, 06:56 AM

Sure they could, but it depends on what the upgrade includes. If it only is speed, then sure, but if it is the rumored double res display, I think they'll call it iPad 3.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 3, 2012, 08:26 AM

Whatever they mark on the packaging, they'll call it "money in the bank" in Cupertino. The label won't change the fact that bazillions of people would buy a "new model !!11!!one!" iPad if it had a corduroy case and sounded like a Speak-n-Spell.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by simonjames View Post
Didn't the iPhone versions going something like :- 1.0; 2G; 3G; 3GS; 4; 4S? Not exactly sure as Australia was late to get the phone.
Almost. iPhone 1 was a 2.5G phone. The iPhone 3G was the 2nd iPhone, which is why the fourth iPhone was called iPhone 4.

There's nothing stopping them from calling it iPad 2S, but the retina display may be deemed distinctive enough to warrant a distinct version name.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2012, 10:55 AM

Most people get iPhones from carriers so many replace them every two years. With the 'S' variants they still look up to date until they get a new one as long as they are timing their upgrade cycle accordingly. If you are out of sync with the 'always looks like I've got the latest model from a distance' crowd, then you don't mind so much because you probably only dropped a couple of hundred on your phone anyway and it still beats a Blackberry or an Android.

There isn't really much Apple can do with the case design what is effectively and LCD panel in a metal tray anyway, so iPads will always look like iPads from a distance as long as it has an Apple logo on the back. May as well not confuse people and just label them 1,2,3.

Its probably something like this anyway.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2012, 11:00 AM

Apple has been horribly inconsistent with it's iPhone version naming:

iPhone
iPhone 3G (not 3rd Gen, but 3G cellular)
iPhone 3GS ('S' = speed? For upgraded processor, I think?)
iPhone 4 (4th iPhone released, but, in my opinion, it's only the 3rd Gen, not 4th Generation of iPhone)
iPhone 4S ('S' = speed or maybe Siri, since Siri is the only real reason to upgrade to the 4S)

I don't expect any great degree of consistency for the iPad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Apple has been horribly inconsistent with it's iPhone version naming:
What's so horrible about it ?

It's fairly logical and straightforward. Look at other cell phone manufacturers. *There* you'll find no rhyme or reason.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What's so horrible about it ?

It's fairly logical and straightforward. Look at other cell phone manufacturers. *There* you'll find no rhyme or reason.

-t
Ya, the others are far worse, but "logical and straightforward"?

iPhone release 1 = iPhone = 1st Gen
iPhone release 2 = iPhone 3G = 2nd Gen
iPhone release 3 = iPhone 3GS = 2nd Gen update
iPhone release 4 = iPhone 4 = 3rd Gen
iPhone release 5 = iPhone 4S = 3rd Gen update

Following the rational for the name "iPhone 4", the next iPhone should be iPhone 6, since it will be the 6th release.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2012, 03:53 PM

Following the rational for the name "iPhone 4", the next iPhone should be iPhone 6, since it will be the 6th release.
That is your quite logical rationale, but

• Apple has never been particularly rational in naming models

• Consumers do not necessarily perceive your rationale

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
That is your quite logical rationale, but

• Apple has never been particularly rational in naming models

• Consumers do not necessarily perceive your rationale
Correct. A lot of people thought the '4' meant 4G.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2012, 02:07 PM

One thing to notice is on the device itself, there has never been a numbering convention. All iPhones are simply iPhone and all iPads are simply iPad. The only the only place it may say 2, 3 or 4, etc. is on the packaging, internet store(s), and advertisements.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2012, 07:36 PM

The stuff up was with the iPhone numbering. They should have called the second iteration iPhone 2 and marketed it as "with 3G'.

It not like OS X goes v10.0 -> v10.1 -> v12.0

I think Apple are missing a big chunk of marketing possibilities. I believe a smaller sportier version and a rugged version would sell really well. In BMW talk you'd have an iPhone 4, M4 and X4 - choose which one suits your lifestyle and hip pocket. Same goes with the iPad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2012, 08:26 PM

Apple doesn't want to fragment the market. But it has kept the 3GS and 4 around as the budget iPhone options.

As for naming consistency, the next major iPhone revision better be the 6, not the 5, unless it's another minor update like a 4GS.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2012, 09:39 PM

?? Not sure I follow you.

If Apple follow what they've done so far then iPhone 5 will be a different form to iPhone4/4S. (like 4 was to 3)
iPhone 5 will be followed by iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 will be out in 2014.

Given how long it takes to engineer these things and get the supply chains geared up for multi-country simultaneous release Apple would already be working on iPhone 6 and iPad 4.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2012, 10:32 PM

?? Not sure I follow you.

If Apple follow what they've done so far then iPhone 5 will be a different form to iPhone4/4S. (like 4 was to 3)
iPhone 5 will be followed by iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 will be out in 2014.
Yes, but that only follows if you're tracking iPhones by generation, and the iPhone 4/4S *isn't* the 4th Generation iPhone. It's the 4th model released, but it's only the 3rd generation of iPhone. Apple even refers to the iPhone 4/4S generation in the firmware as 3,1 and 3,2. It will be really strange if 6th model released, representing 4th generation design were to be named iPhone 5 (though, I don't doubt that it'll happen that way).

This is why it's confusing (but, only to those who care to pay attention)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2012, 02:55 AM

Yes, but that only follows if you're tracking iPhones by generation, and the iPhone 4/4S *isn't* the 4th Generation iPhone. It's the 4th model released, but it's only the 3rd generation of iPhone. Apple even refers to the iPhone 4/4S generation in the firmware as 3,1 and 3,2. It will be really strange if 6th model released, representing 4th generation design were to be named iPhone 5 (though, I don't doubt that it'll happen that way).
The iPhone 4S requires firmware labelled 4,1.

The iPhone 4 is 3,1.

The iPhone 3GS was 2,1.

Original iPhone and iPhone 3G were 1,1 and 1,2, respectively: THOSE were the same generation.

Don't believe me?
Download the respective firmware files here:
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

So, going by that, the next iPhone will require firmware 5,1, but given that the actual THIRD-generation iPhone was called "iPhone 4", where does that leave the numbering scheme?

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2012, 05:24 PM

Not that we ever saw one in Australia but didn't the original iPhone have a metal back?

iPad 3 - not 2S though 2S would have been more fitting as iPad3 is a disappointing tiny step of evolution from iPad 2

S for Screen - certainly not for Speed nor for Storage

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2012, 05:31 PM

Not that we ever saw one in Australia but didn't the original iPhone have a metal back?
Yep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules