Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's the oldest Mac you currently own?

What's the oldest Mac you currently own?
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 08:52 AM

Given this thread, it got me thinking of what's the oldest Mac people have and do they still use it.

For instance, I have a color classic that I can fire up. I haven't used it in ages but I have it sitting there waiting to go. I also have in my closet buried somewhere a Mac SE. I have no idea if that puppy will fire up at all.

Given the other thread I may pull out some of my old disks and crank up the color classic for nostalgia sake

So what's the oldest Mac you guys/gals have and do you use it
( Last edited by Maflynn; Jan 23, 2009 at 09:08 AM. )
~Mike

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 23, 2009, 09:16 AM

I used to have a few Classics, but those all were either turned into fish tanks or had their guts pulled out to use for other things. The oldest one we own now is probably my parent's Performa 6116, although I've picked enough parts out of it that it probably won't startup. I believe my old 7100/80AV will, though, and I have a 5200 in my closet that (mostly) works.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 09:29 AM

20" Feb 2007 iMac.

Sorry, I'm a youngster in the Mac world.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 23, 2009, 09:37 AM

Pismo 400/DVD

My daughter uses it for educational software everyday.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 09:50 AM

IIci--powers up and works. I haven't found time to pull files off of it----for over 12 years.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2009, 10:24 AM

I have a PowerMac 7600 here at work which I'm able to take home. The oldest I have AT home is a Cube.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jan 23, 2009, 11:47 AM

iMac G3, 600 mhz - my parents use it every day

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 12:57 PM

Rev D iMac... I used to use it as essentially a networked HD. Now it's 60 gig HD seems tiny. I haven't found a use for it aside from looking pretty. Though it does look pretty.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2009, 12:59 PM

My 8600/300 is sitting around disconnected. If I could find a decently priced G4 upgrade card I'd work on getting OS X on it. My Quadra 650 got donated, and my LC is sitting in a landfill somewhere because someone in the family decided it was a good idea to put its box outside in the elements.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2009, 01:36 PM

I actually use my Cube daily for surfing and LogMeIn to access my work PC, but it is 1.6 GHz with a GeForce 6200. I was using my G4 450 Cube for surfing as well but not in the last few months. It works fine for LogMeIn too.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I actually use my Cube daily for surfing and LogMeIn to access my work PC
OT but how do you like logmein. I found that its a little slow under safari, so much so that I use IE (from within vmware on my mbp). I like logmein because from work, I can easily control my mbp from home
~Mike

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
20" Feb 2007 iMac.

Sorry, I'm a youngster in the Mac world.
Same here, though not quite as young as you, apparently. My oldest is my April 2005 G4 PowerBook.

Like scottiB, I just need to get everything transferred over from it to the other machines so I can sell it, but haven’t ‘found the time’—for about a year and a half.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2009, 02:35 PM

I don't have any idea if it still works, but the Macintosh 512k. The oldest that definitely works is a Quadra 630.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2009, 05:11 PM

Performa 475 is the oldest I have.

I got a Classic from the dump a couple of years ago, but I shoved it on eBay after playing Glider for a few weeks

Just to add to the LogMeIn conversation... it's quirky in Safari - it'll sometimes just hang. Firefox 3 on OS X hangs with it all the time.
Firefox 3 on the PC works fine - I don't touch IE.
Brilliant product - my job would be 10x more time consuming and unproductive without it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 05:32 PM

+1 for LogMeIn. I help my parents and in-laws from my iMac at home, I connect from work (XP) to my iMac from time to time, never have been able to connect from iMac to work though. I'm 100% Firefox at home and work, so wouldn't know about Safari issues.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 05:45 PM

2.8 GHz iMac and 2.2 GHz Macbook. Not sure which one is older. Bought the iMac new and the Macbook refurbished.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2009, 06:01 PM

I have an original 128K Mac (before it was called the 128K), in the original box w/ all accessories. Still works too. I found it next to a dumpster at the ORNL almost 10 years ago, the facility manager told me I could have it.

I also own a Lisa, but it's on loan to a museum.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2009, 06:39 PM

I currently care for two older PowerMacs, one of those being my previous machine before the Alu iMac.

B&W G3 400 768MB RAM, grandfather's machine, running Tiger. QS G4 733 1.5GB RAM, running Tiger.

I had my old PowerMac 7200/120 running OS9 up until a few years ago, then the whole thing went kaput.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 06:50 PM

My tangerine Shifuimam Clamshell, of course!

I haven't touched the thing in months (I tripped over and killed the power adapter in like October, and it took me until last week to replace it), but I'm never getting rid of it.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 07:56 PM

My oldest Mac that I own is a Power Macintosh 7600/120. My oldest Apple computer in general that I own is An Apple //c from 1984. Followed by a IIgs from 1987.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 08:09 PM

sawtooth, we sold the 512k last summer.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2009, 09:34 PM

PowerBook 5300cs is the oldest I still have, but the oldest working is a modded PowerBook G3 Wallstreet.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 10:16 PM

I have an SE in a box at my parents house... at home I have a Powerbook G4 Titanium (1st rev) in a box. The oldest Mac I use is a Quicksilver I use as a secondary surfing machine / wireless bridge to my printer.

All of my other cool old Macs have been sold or given to charity.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
OT but how do you like logmein. I found that its a little slow under safari, so much so that I use IE (from within vmware on my mbp). I like logmein because from work, I can easily control my mbp from home
After the last set of updates (OS X or LogMeIn, not sure which), LogMeIn functionality has gotten worse. It still works, and it's a little slow as you say, but now it hangs after extended usage. Also, installing the LogMeIn client plug-in borks the functionality completely (ironically), so I just use the generic Java client.

I used to be able to work from home for hours (unfortunately) on my work PC with no issues. Nowadays if I do it for more than a hour or so, access can hang for many seconds at a time. Very irritating. Furthermore, if I exit and relogin, I sometimes get display anomalies. The only way to fix both the display anomalies and hanging is to completely quit Safari and relaunch Safari. Oh and I've had even worse problems with Firefox so I avoid it with LogMeIn in OS X.

BTW, I get the same problem with my 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac, so it's not a problem unique to my Cube. The only advantages my iMac offers for LogMeIn is a bigger screen and slightly faster Safari rendering. However, the rendering speed isn't the bottleneck. It's the network data transfer from the remote host.

That's why I've been able to continue using my 1.6 GHz Cube for this purpose. In fact, I'd be fine using my G4 450 Cube for this too because the main bottleneck is the internet.

P.S. I find G3s completely useless for any sort of work these days, or even surfing. That's why I no longer own any G3 Macs whatsoever.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 23, 2009 at 11:05 PM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 11:14 PM

Yeah, I thought G3s were tolerable enough until I picked up a cheap PowerMac G4 for playing around with. Now I can barely stand to touch my iBook for much at all.

Although my 500MHz iceBook isn't terrible...it's considerably snappier than my clamshell. I'm not sure why - the FSB is the same, and the processors are nearly identical.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 11:54 PM

Mac Plus. Don't really use it at all, though I do fire up Shufflepuck every so often.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2009, 12:00 AM

PowerBook Duo 2300c

My 4yr old daughter plays games on it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2009, 12:07 AM

A Power Computing PowerTower Pro. It is collecting dust.

My Mac II (upgraded to a IIfx) was collecting dust but it got trashed in a flood, and my 512k (upgraded to a Plus) was given to a friend, so the actual oldest Apple Mac I have is a pair of 400MHz G3 iMac DVSEs. These were one of the best values I've ever had in a computer purchase, and back in the day served as my After Effects rendering farm, a place to do After Effects work when the PTP was being used for editing, CD burners, and a DVD player, which I didn't have back in 2000 (or a TV for that matter).

They are collecting dust.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 24, 2009 at 12:26 AM. )

mr. burns
Senior User
Jan 24, 2009, 03:06 AM

mac plus, still in use, somewhat. :]

not all who wander are lost.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 24, 2009, 06:25 AM

Performa 475. I gave away all my surplus Macs to www.syssrc.com for their computer museum. (Some of the Macs in their little video on the front page were mine.)

freudling
Banned
Jan 24, 2009, 07:28 AM

PowerBook 180c! June 1993 Release date.

Mint!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2009, 08:33 AM

Mac Classic from 1990, still works like new. Also a couple of old PowerBooks - a 1400 & 5300.
Other antique desktops include a 6600, 7200, 8500, and an LCII pizza box.
I have older computers, but they aren't Macs.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2009, 10:08 AM

I know it's not a "Mac", but my parents still have an Apple IIgs in storage (Woz signed!)

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Yeah, I thought G3s were tolerable enough until I picked up a cheap PowerMac G4 for playing around with. Now I can barely stand to touch my iBook for much at all.

Although my 500MHz iceBook isn't terrible...it's considerably snappier than my clamshell. I'm not sure why - the FSB is the same, and the processors are nearly identical.
FSB on clamshells are 66 mhz while iceBooks are 100mhz. Also the VRAM in the iceBooks are 16MB versus 6MB for the clamshells, IIRC.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2009, 02:35 PM

Quadra 660AV in a closet somewhere, ca. 1994. No idea if it would boot up now.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
FSB on clamshells are 66 mhz while iceBooks are 100mhz. Also the VRAM in the iceBooks are 16MB versus 6MB for the clamshells, IIRC.
That is not correct.

The original iceBook 500 has a 66 MHz bus and 8 MB video RAM.
The clamshell 466 also has a 66 MHz bus and 8 MB video RAM.

I specifically didn't buy the iceBook 500 because of its slow bus, and it just generally felt slow even at the time of its release. (I didn't buy the toilet seats either because of the crappy screen rez of 800x600.) Also, no 10.1 was included IIRC.

I think both the Clamshell 466 and iceBook 500 use the same PowerPC G3 version with 256 KB on-board L2 cache. The iceBook 600 came with 10.1, and was significantly faster not only because of the 20% CPU clockspeed boost, but also because it got the 100 MHz bus.

Later on in the iceBooks they switched to the 750FX, which had 512 KB on-board L2, which made a significant difference. They also got the Mobility Radeon with 16 MB video RAM. However, by that time I had moved on to a G4 PowerBook Titanium, because the G3 is so frickin' painfully slow at anything to do with video.

Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 24, 2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
[…] I find G3s completely useless for any sort of work these days, or even surfing. That's why I no longer own any G3 Macs whatsoever.
I wouldn’t go that far, but they are becoming increasingly anæmic. I used a 466 Clamshell on Tiger solidly for almost all my surfing/IMing/email for over a year, and I was happy with the performance. It was never, ever stellar or zippy, but it was passable. It did, however, become completely useless any time I tried to view any kind of video.

The 500MHz Blue Dalmatian iMac I briefly owned had a faster FSB (1ooMHz vs. 66MHz), and Flash still absolutely killed it, but it could handle 4:3 DivX well enough. It ran Word 2004 well too, once it had gone through the frustratingly long opening process — a problem that still afflicts W2k8 on an Intel.

I think, overall, it’s a question of what you need it for. A G3 is suitable for light, non-video uses. It’s only once Flash and/or multimedia that you start to feel it’s inadequate. The SVGA screen on the Clamshell really does suck though…

bettrgoaliethanRoy33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2009, 12:33 AM

Ive got a mac laptop from the 90's

it was my uncles

ps im 14 not 40

bettrgoaliethanRoy33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2009, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
mac plus, still in use, somewhat. :]

that thing is cool

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2009, 12:52 AM

I had a masive sell-off of my old macs last year, because I neeed the money. I sold my Cube, 2 g3 towers and a G4 400 Sawtooth. I feel bad about the Cube, but it needed a new hard drive, and I determined the parts were worth twice as much seperately than the thing was worth whole. Sad.

Anyway, still roaring away in my son's room is a QS dual 1.0 G4 early 2002. Pretty solid box. I'm also still rocking my 15" 1.25 G4 Powerbook. It's a brick sh*thouse.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2009, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Anyway, still roaring away in my son's room is a QS dual 1.0 G4 early 2002. Pretty solid box. I'm also still rocking my 15" 1.25 G4 Powerbook. It's a brick sh*thouse.

My dualie 1.0 QS (which replaced the PTP) very recently made the transition into the dust pile, the main reason being that aforementioned roar, but I'd also agree that the thing is surprisingly snappy.

I also have a 12" 1.0 G4 PowerBook (which I happen to be writing this on at the moment). It. Just. Will. Not. Die.

Since I've covered pretty much every Mac I've ever owned, I might as well finish it out with the functional ones. I currently have the aforementioned 12" PowerBook, the little woman has a (non-SSD) MacBook Air, and we have two Minis (a dog slow 1.4 G4, and a 1.4 CoreDuo)
( Last edited by subego; Jan 25, 2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: I don't have a 12-foot PowerBook)

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2009, 01:45 AM

The oldest Mac I have is a 7100/66 with upgraded ram and external SCSI zip drive.

My main computer isn't that new though. I got my MDD in August 2002 and my ibook 2 years later. Both feel slower every day, but I still can't justify getting a new Mac.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2009, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
I had a masive sell-off of my old macs last year, because I neeed the money. I sold my Cube, 2 g3 towers and a G4 400 Sawtooth. I feel bad about the Cube, but it needed a new hard drive, and I determined the parts were worth twice as much seperately than the thing was worth whole. Sad.
I actually have 2 Cubes, but one isn't being used anymore. (iLife '09 can't even load on the thing.) I contemplated parting it out, especially since it's got a GeForce 6200 and an Airport card. However, I just can't get myself to do it. I justify it by telling myself it will serve as a good backup for parts for my other Cube which is still in use.

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
A G3 is suitable for light, non-video uses. It’s only once Flash and/or multimedia that you start to feel it’s inadequate.
Well, as much as some people don't like Flash, it's now ubiquitous and even basic surfing benefits hugely by having Flash support. That's why my iPhone's Safari annoys me... as does the lack of cut and paste.

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
The oldest Mac I have is a 7100/66 with upgraded ram and external SCSI zip drive.
I got an 8100/120 (IIRC) free from work a few years back. After trying to disassemble the thing and trying to replace the SCSI drive, I just threw it out. The Cube seems like a breeze to work with compared to the 8100/120. What a PITA, considering it was a full-sized desktop.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2009, 02:36 AM

My Mac LC that my dad bought for me in 1991 when I was in highschool. It's still working perfectly although I rarely use it. Very reliable machine.

Cipher13
Jan 25, 2009, 03:44 AM

A Classic II and two PB100s.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2009, 04:58 AM

I have a Color Classic, but that's a bookcase, not a computer, these days.

I still use my Sawtooth as a media server though.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2009, 05:14 AM

I have an original Macintosh with the official 512k upgrade. It's unfortunately not currently in working condition. One of these days, I'll get around to repairing it.

My oldest working machine is a Mac SE.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2009, 05:40 PM

i have an old mac classis with box and paperworks. i bought it once
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2009, 06:04 PM

Performa 475, my first computer and first Mac. Given the bugs in the hardware and the OS, it's surprising that I wanted a Mac afterwards. It wasn't until 5 years later I replaced it with an original Bondi iMac, but the Performa still works surprisingly.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2009, 06:09 PM

I'll add in that my Performa 475 actually doesn't work because it has no PRAM battery. However you can MAKE it work.
Turn it on, off and back on again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules