Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > eyetv

eyetv
buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2010, 06:23 PM

Didn't see anything in the search engine; I purchased eyetv Hybrid from the Apple store. Once my AT&T modem was configured correctly it enabled me to record any of my cable TV channels. I can see and record my cable HD tv channels on my Macbook Pro.

My configuration:
ATT DSL modem connected by ethernet to Airport extreme, which is connected to my Macbook Pro by ethernet also.

I downloaded the eyetv app from the Apple app store onto my iPhone 3gs. Now I can watch every cable channel from my home on my iPhone, but get this; away from home...by either a wifi hot spot or by 3g. I use the eyetv webpage the iPhone's Safari browser to do this. I now can watch any cable channel I have at home on my iPhone away from home.

My iPhone is updated to 3.1.2 and I use Snow Leopard on the MPB; it's not unibody.

Here is a link:
Elgato - North America

zacharace
Jan 11, 2010, 06:28 PM

Hmm...I've actually heard of this. Sounds awesome, and as of now, I have proof that it actually works.
What cable company do you have?

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2010, 06:35 PM

AT&T DSL, cable company is Comcast of south florida. Your cable company doesn't matter, but your modem should be compatible. You should be able to use Back to mac on your laptop; that would also be a good sign.

buddy1065  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2010, 06:49 PM

There is another app from the app store called TVU but it only has a few interesting US channels. Weirdly SyFi channel is one of them and it works on my iPhone. Just bought the app recently so I can't honestly review it, but it seems to work, depending on the bandwidth of your hotspot. Fortunately you can adjust the bandwidth in eyetv, but I have not found out how if there is any way in TVU.

Forum Links
Forum Rules