Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Difference between Macbook and Macbook Pro

Difference between Macbook and Macbook Pro
gsouthee
Baninated
Jun 16, 2011, 07:30 AM

Hello,

What is the main difference between the two models? Macbook and Macbook pro.. I saw the price is listed for Macbook is $999 and here locally it costs me over $1500 why is huge price difference in online price and my local price

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2011, 07:41 AM

The MacBook has an 'old' Core2Duo processor, which has been around for a while now. The Macbook Pro has an i5 or i7 processor, a lot newer and a lot faster.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

gsouthee  (op)
Baninated
Jun 16, 2011, 08:03 AM

Which one would be the better option? Macbook Pro with Core I5 (Price range is 1400$ or more) or any other company Core I5 starting 600$ to 750$?

P
Jun 16, 2011, 08:27 AM

Well, only a Mac will run Mac OS X without hacking. Also, please beware the i7/i5/i3 branding. All it really says is how expensive that particular processor was from Intel when it was new. The 13" MBP uses Core the i5 2x00, which is a dualcore processor from the Sandy Bridge generation. Many others use the one year old Core i5 6x0 or 5x0 chips from the Arrandale, which are significantly slower.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2011, 11:48 PM

Sorry but like I said in your other similar thread, you get what you pay for. Comparing a generic Win box to a Mac as somehow comparable except for price because they both have i-series processors is like comparing a Pinto to a Bentley because they both have Michelin tires.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2011, 05:18 AM

You buy one Mac over another because of its spec. You buy a Mac over a PC because of its overall quality, ease of use, industrial design and general non-suckyness.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Young Spade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by gsouthee View Post
Which one would be the better option? Macbook Pro with Core I5 (Price range is 1400$ or more) or any other company Core I5 starting 600$ to 750$?
Well I personally would go for the Mac. Yes you'll be paying more but IMO the machine will have a better build quality, better software (I love OS X as opposed to Windows variants) and, most of all, an extremely long battery life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules