Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Web traffic stalls on Mountain Lion

Web traffic stalls on Mountain Lion
wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2013, 08:30 PM

I've got a problem I haven't seen described anywhere else.

I have not yet upgraded to Mavericks because my corporation has not approved it yet.

I'm running Mountain Lion, and after boot up, my computer is fine. Safari responds very quickly. However, after many hours or a few days, Safari begins to stall. The loading progress bar will go about halfway and just sit there. Hitting reload or enter on the URL again will usually result in the same stall. Eventually, after enough attempts, the page will finally load.

I've tested with another older laptop running Mountain Lion on the same wireless network. When my machine is not stalling, performance clicking on the same web link is equal or mine wins. But when it's stalling, the older Mac wins by a mile. It's done loading the web page and my Mac is still sitting there stalled. It might remain that way for 5 minutes.

I've tested using wget and watching the traffic with tcpdump. When it's working, the wget is processed immediately and of course, traffic appears immediately on tcpdump. When it's stalling, wget says the http request has been sent, but no traffic appears on tcpdump and wget just sits there.

Quitting and restarting Safari has no effect, either on it self or obviously wget.

Rebooting the machine makes everything go back to normal.

My firewall is not in use.

My only guess at what this problem might be is that somehow my virtual interfaces for VMWare 6 get into some state where they interfere with port 80 traffic. That is one difference between my machine and the older machine - it does not have VMWare.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2013, 01:07 PM

Sometimes on Lion and ML. I gave up on wifi and went back to ethernet connection.

Running Mavericks now on wifi to see what happens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules