Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > DEA upset by inability to intercept Apple iMessage content

DEA upset by inability to intercept Apple iMessage content
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 4, 2013, 11:20 AM

The US Drug Enforcement Administration is complaining that it can't intercept content on Apple's iMessage service, even with a warrant, according to an internal note obtained by CNet. "On February 21, 2013, the DEA San Jose Resident Office (SJRO) learned that text messages sent via iMessages between Apple products (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and iMac) are not captured by pen register, trap and trace devices, or Title III interceptions," the DEA writes. "iMessages between two Apple devices are considered encrypted communication and cannot be intercepted, regardless of the cell phone service provider."

The agency does say that if a message ends up being delivered via SMS it becomes easier to obtain, but cautions that this "seems to be more successful if the intercept is placed on the non-Apple device." DEA officials are said to have first learned about issues with iMessage when a surveillance effort under the Federal Wiretap Act didn't net all of the target's text messages. Further investigation revealed that the person was using iMessage, which was skipping the need for sending texts through the person's carrier, Verizon.

The news could be a boon for both criminals and average people concerned about avoiding government snooping. iMessage is, however, limited to running on Macs and iOS devices; the only way people who don't use the service can interact is via phone texting.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 11:40 AM

I guess I fall into the second category, "people concerned" with government snooping. I doubt they can't intercept and decrypt the messages though. I imagine they just want Apple to make it easier for them.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 11:55 AM

according to the BlackBerry users I know BlackBerry is the only secure phone. Only BB messages etc. cannot be intercepted. Only BB is secure. It's why BB with BB-10 will take over the world inside 12 months.

LOL
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Bobfozz
Apr 4, 2013, 12:35 PM

your comment

Grendelmon
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 01:17 PM

You're supporting terrorism.

WiseWeasel
Apr 4, 2013, 01:19 PM

Won't someone think of the children?
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

Sebastien
Apr 4, 2013, 02:41 PM

that nobody cares what they think.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
according to the BlackBerry users I know BlackBerry is the only secure phone. Only BB messages etc. cannot be intercepted. Only BB is secure. It's why BB with BB-10 will take over the world inside 12 months.

LOL
BB encrypts everything that is communicated to the device, including SMS messages. In iOS, only Apple device communications (iMessages) are encrypted. If an iPhone texts back and fourth to an Android or dumb phone, they are not encrypted. BlackBerries are thus (still) more secure than any other device in the consumer market, including iOS.

Did you even read the article?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
BB encrypts everything that is communicated to the device, including SMS messages. In iOS, only Apple device communications (iMessages) are encrypted. If an iPhone texts back and fourth to an Android or dumb phone, they are not encrypted. BlackBerries are thus (still) more secure than any other device in the consumer market, including iOS.
How can BlackBerry encrypt SMS messages? The SMS protocol is run by the provider, not the phone manufacturer. iMessage is secure simply because it is NOT SMS, and runs through Apple's own back-end servers. The second a message is transmitted as an SMS, it is unencrypted and runs through public protocols — this is the case for every messaging service out there, including BlackBerry's.

Only messaging from BlackBerry to BlackBerry runs through RIM's servers and remains encrypted, same as iMessage.

I think one source of confusion is that BB encrypts all data stored on the phone itself, including the SMS archive, no?

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 07:05 PM

Grendelmon
Time to replace the battery in your sarcasm-aid?
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Grendelmon
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Only messaging from BlackBerry to BlackBerry runs through RIM's servers and remains encrypted, same as iMessage.

I think one source of confusion is that BB encrypts all data stored on the phone itself, including the SMS archive, no?
Actually, I stand corrected. You're right that SMS isn't encrypted. I was thinking that they passed those through the enterprise servers, but they don't. In fact, it doesn't appear that they encrypt any SMS messages at all, even BB to BB.

Page 24:
http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/..._5_0_0_STO.pdf

We use them at my workplace and the data connections are always behind our firewall... I was thinking SMS did the same.

hayesk
Apr 4, 2013, 09:51 PM

Was it complaining or just statement of fact?

Forum Links
Forum Rules