Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BlackBook Hard Drive Manufacturer?

BlackBook Hard Drive Manufacturer?
tricha6
May 23, 2006, 04:49 PM

What hard drive brand are people getting in their blackbooks with the stock 80 GB drive?

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2006, 05:24 PM

The black model I checked out at an Apple Store in STL this past weekend had a Fujitsu Does anyone know who makes the 120GB? Also, I didn't see any SATA drives over 100GB being offered from companies like New Egg... any suggestions?

Peace
//B
( Last edited by CarbonG4; May 23, 2006 at 08:47 PM. )

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonG4
The black model I checked out at an Apple Store in STL this past weekend had a Fujitsu Does anyone know who makes the 120GB? Also, I didn't see any SATA (200pin) drives over 100GB being offered from companies like New Egg... any suggestions?

Peace
//B

CarbonG4,

I believe Western Digital is the only manufacturer of the 120GB 2.5" SATA drive. OtherWorld Computing offers this drive for $160. They also have the 100GB drives offerred by Hitachi and Seagate if you were at all interested.

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2006, 09:04 PM

Thanks Neo... that's intersting, it would be cheaper to order the 120GB drive from OWC and then you could maybe buy an enclosure for the stock 80GB or sell it. Also (as virutually everyone knows by now) the 2GB RAM kits are significantly cheaper from companies such as OWC...

//B

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 01:13 AM

Apple will use several different brands of hard drives (for any one model) at random, so asking others what brand they have really won't guarantee what brand you'll actually get in yours. You might get the same, you might not.

Also, several manufactures make 120GB SATA 2.5" hard drives (Seagate, Toshiba, WD, Fujitsu).

chadseld
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 11:36 AM

My stock black MacBook has an 80GB Toshiba MK8032GSX.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

galarneau
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 06:17 PM

I want to know where the heck the 160GB drives are.

I know they have them in PATA... why not SATA?

Forum Links
Forum Rules