Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Say goodbye to Laser"

"Say goodbye to Laser"
darkmatter
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2008, 05:03 PM

Why no one has leaked information about this matter?

"Say goodbye to Laser"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 05:08 PM

Sure. Laserdisc. Way back in 1999.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

moep
Senior User
Sep 6, 2008, 05:29 PM

Amazon Germany leaked it a while ago, it’s a new tracking technology for mice named “Blue Track” and has nothing to do with optical media as some might expect.

We followed a bit more of the PI work done by our fine commenters and discovered Blue Track to be based on a blue LED combined with a wide-angle lens that's supposed to work on more surfaces than laser and optical. Microsoft only really seems to be aiming this at the portable spectrum, hence the wireless adapter and miniature size, so perhaps Blue Track isn't the end of laser after all.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/27/m...mouse-spotted/
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2008, 10:32 PM

I suspect it won't work on glass-topped tables. That's why I still look for mice with the old metal ball in it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 01:57 AM

So we're talking about mouse technology? I've never seen a metal ball mouse, but any time I come across one (like on public computers), I'm always disgusted by them. Optical technology was such a major step up. I think the Logitech invisible optical mice are nice.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 01:59 AM

I've never seen a metal ball mouse, but any time I come across one (like on public computers), I'm always disgusted by them.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 02:03 AM

I hate ball mice. They're always terrifically dirty, and it was a continual pain having to clean them every couple of weeks when that's all that was available back in the day. Why anyone would like a ball mouse over an optical mouse is beyond me, frankly.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2008, 02:05 AM

I think Big Mac may not be aware that mouse balls were/are steel with a rubber cover.

Last ball mouse I had was the puck. But... I used its ball as part of a one way valve outdoors that came apart under pressure and my dog chewed the cover off.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Why anyone would like a ball mouse over an optical mouse is beyond me, frankly.
Already mentioned it. One of my desks has a glass top, so optical mice don't work on it.

Originally Posted by zro View Post
I think Big Mac may not be aware that mouse balls were/are steel with a rubber cover.
Yeah, must be.

Last ball mouse I had was the puck. But... I used its ball as part of a one way valve outdoors that came apart under pressure and my dog chewed the cover off.
Worst mouse of all time.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 7, 2008, 02:23 AM

I liked the gen 2 puck with the indentation.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I liked the gen 2 puck with the indentation.
Don't know that one. The only one I know is this one.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 02:31 AM

They were really metal with a coat of rubber? Yeah, I had no idea that was the case. Nonetheless, they sucked. Why not just use a mouse pad, Eug?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
They were really metal with a coat of rubber? Yeah, I had no idea that was the case. Nonetheless, they sucked. Why not just use a mouse pad, Eug?
I hate mouse pads. Too limiting in terms of table area. Anyways, it's just for one glass table. All my other mice are optical. Luckily, presumably because the desk is glass, the ball seems to stay a heluvalot cleaner. Last time I cleaned it was over 6 months ago.

By the way, one of the mice is on a shiny white melamine shelf. Optical mice don't seem to work well on that either. I wonder if LED mice would work better. I do use a "mouse pad" for that one, but it's not really the same. I use a thin piece of rubberized fabric that's much bigger than a mouse pad, but I would prefer not to have to use it.

moep
Senior User
Sep 7, 2008, 02:59 AM

What I absolutely don’t understand is why they have to ship this mouse with that annoying wireless adapter rather than Bluetooth.

I’m using a MX1000 Bluetooth (had to buy the diNovo set, sold the Keyboard) and it works perfectly fine without an external adapter. No lag or connection problems whatsoever, it’s even good for the occasional game.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 03:03 AM

For computers that don't have BT built-in?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 03:06 AM

I much prefer the RF mice. The battery lasts longer, and there's no annoying Bluetooth pairing required. Just plug it in and it works. I don't know about you, but my iMac not infrequently has a delay at bootup before it detects my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

However, for a laptop, Bluetooth is preferred obviously... that is if you use a mouse with your laptop. (I never do.)

moep
Senior User
Sep 7, 2008, 03:10 AM

Microsoft only really seems to be aiming this at the portable spectrum[...]
How many laptops ship without Bluetooth these days?

And yeah, I’m biased as a MBP is my only machine at the moment. Properitary RF has distinct advantages for stationary PCs.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 03:16 AM

Oh, I thought you were talking about computers in general. I did, however, read a forum post that said a BT mouse occasionally lost its connections to built-in BT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules