Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Buy Advice, iPhone or iPhone 3G or wait

Buy Advice, iPhone or iPhone 3G or wait
darkmatter
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2009, 12:07 PM

Hello

Have an opportunity to get an iPhone (1st generation) but I'm a bit unsure of what to do.
Who would share some comments on differences between iPhone and iPhone 3G?

Known at this moment is the following:

Display: seems that the iPhone has a better one than the iPhone 3G (leaving aside polemic discussions)
Speaker: seems that the iPhone has a lower quality one than the iPhone 3G
GPS: is not important for me.
Networking speed: not important for me.
Processing speed: seems that both have the same CPU, so same performance on both devices.
Development support: will the 1st generation support most capabilities in the future? (Dual core iPhone in summer for same price?)

Is the 1st generation iPhone still worth?

Thank you very much and best Regards

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2009, 11:48 PM

I have a 3G and I'm thrilled with the screen quality, speaker quality and data speeds(ok, when I can actually receive 3G service anyway). Having said that I'd wait for the new iphone in the summer as a significant processor improvement is likely. Just like computers, eventually there will be applications and features on the newest iphones that will not run on the oldest model. In general its my opinion that its a bad idea to spend money on old technology--unless its collectible.

brpinnc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I have a 3G and I'm thrilled with the screen quality, speaker quality and data speeds(ok, when I can actually receive 3G service anyway). Having said that I'd wait for the new iphone in the summer as a significant processor improvement is likely. Just like computers, eventually there will be applications and features on the newest iphones that will not run on the oldest model. In general its my opinion that its a bad idea to spend money on old technology--unless its collectible.
excellent advice! I'd love to have a 3G!

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2009, 03:02 PM

3g all the way. I've got the 16gb version. Way worth the money.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2009, 03:48 PM

The reason to get a 3G model is simple: 3G. If you would take advantage of 3G then get one. I love my 2G iPhone, but 3G would be *so* useful to me. A lot of apps also run a lot better with 3G than GPRS.

darkmatter  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2009, 10:53 AM

Hello

Thanks for the answers. At the end I didn't get the iPhone. I would had been an iPhone 2G in a never opened box for about $700 USD. Goal was to have it in my collection. At the end the bad idea to spend money on old technology was considered. Also, very high EDGE prices played an important role. I'm still confused. I don't think that the next iPhone iteration will be less expensive and much more advanced futures that the current ones.

Best Regards

Forum Links
Forum Rules