Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Best Spam Proof Blogging Platform?

Best Spam Proof Blogging Platform?
Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2012, 08:28 PM

Hey all, I've got a WordPress blog hosted on my sever currently, but it's a lousy solution partly because the comment section is pretty well perpetually spammed with nonsensical fraudsters.

I'm working on converting the novel I wrote into a graphic one (It's actually going pretty well) and I'm thinking of putting it up not only on iBooks but also just on a website. Any suggestions on a good (and let's be honest, free since I don't expect to make any cash on this thing) solution?

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2012, 08:39 PM

Have you installed the spam plugin akismet? I find it pretty effective. I also set my blogs to moderate all comments.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2012, 08:43 PM

Yes, aksimet FTW. It kills 99.999% of the spam. Very reliable.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2012, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes, aksimet FTW. It kills 99.999% of the spam. Very reliable.

-t
I totally want to read your blog.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2012, 12:41 AM

AFAIK the blogging platform is virtually irrelevant because they all count on Akismet for spam protection.
( Last edited by besson3c; Feb 28, 2012 at 01:20 AM. )

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2012, 04:35 AM

Thanks guys, I've installed Akismet on both my blogs. I confess I don't blog nearly as much (much to my mother's joy.) But I don't want to take them down but I'm seriously getting super irritated by the number of spammers who keep harassing my poor blog. Are there really enough dumb people who'd click on these things to make it worth it for these people? Wait I work in tech support, of course there's enough dumb people ... sigh.

I wish there was just a way to put up a disclaimer that told the scammers that you're not an idiot and you won't buy anything from them ... like I do with Mormon missionaries when I tell them I have a church ministries degree and I date men.

Forum Links
Forum Rules