Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Have you been content with an Apple Monitor Purchase?

Have you been content with an Apple Monitor Purchase?
Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2012, 03:20 AM

Hey all, so I bought a Sharp 40 inch Quattron for Christmas which I decided I was going to use as a TV + Monitor ... thing is, while it's a really nice TV, and I got it working alright as a monitor. I find that the colour accuracy on it compared to my MacBook Pro leaves something lacking. Mostly I think it's that the TV has a ton of auto picture adjusting things that you can't really turn off. (Trust me I've fiddled with the ones you can).

I hadn't really been drawing for over a year when I bought it, but right afterward Apple came out with iBooks Author and I'm working on a really fun project now and while it's not a dire need, I'm also finding that 1080p can be kinda grainy when you're close enough to use it as a monitor. I've always been a fan of high resolutions, so I'm seriously thinking about it.

That and I love the idea of everything going through one Thunderbolt cable ... though I really wish there was an Audio out port on the back of the monitor. (Actually anyone want to charm in on how much base the monitor can output?)

Anyway, so yeah ... money isn't a huge deal, and frankly it seems any good monitor with that sort of resolution is expensive ... so, thoughts?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2012, 11:13 AM

Using a TV as a monitor really isn't advantageous. 1920x1080 is way too low-res for a 40" display, considering most 27-30" displays are 2560x1440. That said, I think Apple's monitors are massively overpriced, though you can find them on sale sometimes.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2012, 11:26 AM

Still using the 1st gen 22" Cinema Display I bought when they first came out. The 17" Studio CRT it replaced was crap.

OreoCookie
Feb 27, 2012, 11:27 AM

@Salty
Please create posts in the correct forum.

Regarding your question, do not use a TV as a substitute for a monitor. The resolution (especially pixel density) make them unsuitable for normal computer work. Apple's displays are good and if you include the costs of a Thunderbolt docking station, the Cinema display can make sense. But if you just need a good monitor, you can find high quality displays from makers such as Eizo or Nec for less.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2012, 12:58 PM

$999 hardly can buy you a High Quality Eizo or Nec 27" display.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2012, 07:21 PM

That's the thing, I want a big ass monitor and I want something more than HD because HD really isn't that big.

Can anyone comment on the speaker quality?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2012, 07:43 PM

Don't get a monitor with speakers.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2012, 08:45 PM

Well it has the speakers built in. I have some Logitech Z4s hooked up to an ancient AirPort Express which I think I'll replace once the APE is updated again. (the current one if I understand right isn't dual band and given that my home internet connection is about 50 mbps and I can upgrade to 100 if I want I don't want to go with the older one)

I'm mostly wondering because I'd love to have my audio from the monitor going out through a good set of speakers. I noticed a set of Cube ones (Ucube?) on Apple's site that look like they'd match the monitor well and are USB powered. It's either that or I'm going to get a USB sound card. I really wish they'd just put audio out on the Thunderbolt monitor.

OreoCookie
Feb 28, 2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
That's the thing, I want a big ass monitor and I want something more than HD because HD really isn't that big.
Any monitor above 21" can play back 720p and almost all monitors >= 24" can play back 1080p. Most 24" monitors have ~1080p HD resolution (slightly higher), so if you want more pixels, you need 27"+ monitor.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules