Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Official realtime reaction thread for iPhone keynote, Oct 4, 2011™

Official realtime reaction thread for iPhone keynote, Oct 4, 2011™ (Page 2)
ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2011, 03:41 PM

apple.com is creaky, getting 'Access Denied' every so often and sometimes the pages load without the formatting.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
but she would be crazy to stay on her falling apart phone if AT&T will subsidize her new 4S at $200.
A. We live in Canada.

B. She doesn't want a contract because she doesn't have extensive voice and text needs, and for data she only uses WiFi or tethers off my account. Furthermore her existing plan is an uber cheap grandfathered plan.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
apple.com is creaky, getting 'Access Denied' every so often and sometimes the pages load without the formatting.
Apple Store is down1!!11!1!11!!!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2011, 03:52 PM

No raving about the awesomeness of Siri?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Apple Store is down1!!11!1!11!!!
No it isn't. It's up, the new stuff is there and the iPod Classic isn't dead yet.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 03:57 PM

Maybe my eyes are wrong but the world phone is only sold locked to carriers.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
No it isn't. It's up, the new stuff is there and the iPod Classic isn't dead yet.
Yay!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna
Red Five reporting in.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Red October, standing by.
AHHHHHH!!!! (Porkins' death cry)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 05:33 PM

To all the people complaining about this and saying that Apple is "slowing down," etc., did you think the same way when the 3GS was released? (I'm guessing the answer is yes)

The iPhone 4's exterior is, in my opinion, one of the best and most attractive looking pieces of consumer hardware ever built. The design still has life in it, and I was having a hard time imagining how they could top it after just a year.

The specs are very impressive.

iCloud looks like a winner, as does iOS 5. Overall a solid performance by Apple and Tim Cook.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
This phone is ENTIRELY new except for the case, display, and name.

Stick a big "5" on the back if you really need something people will ooh and aah over (before they rob you).

This thing is exactly what I wanted.
Agreed. A4 to A5 is major, 7x graphics improvement is major, a GB of RAM is major, 1080p stabilized video is major, the new camera is major, and my guess is that the new antenna will prove to be very major.

My other guess is that the integration of A5 and a GB of RAM will be a very significant improvement as regards real-world operation of the intense new apps, especially Siri.

Why so many folks are incensed about a need for visible changes in a beautiful, best-selling form is beyond me, even though my old eyes would appreciate a larger display.

The first time I ever waited in a long line to purchase something was for the original iPhone and it was well worth the one-hour wait. I will wait in line again for the 4s, just for the convenience of walking out of the store fully set up and briefed.

-Allen

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Why so many folks are incensed about a need for visible changes in a beautiful, best-selling form is beyond me
Its so much more fun to bitch and moan though.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2011, 05:38 PM

Part of me feels a little like Apple wasn't trying with the iPhone 4S. But the other part of me feels amazed at what they've been able to do. They've essentially completely redesigned everything about the phone while keeping it in the thinnest case on the US market (Sony Ericsson have a thinner phone abroad). However, I do think that in the very fast-paced mobile market that keeping a design for what has the potential to be almost 2.5 years can be a big gamble. Especially with some competing products such as the Galaxy S II receiving very high reviews and a larger and larger international user base.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2011, 05:40 PM

I would appreciate any thoughts folks may have as to the mass storage choices on the 4s. Specifically how much value 64 GB adds over 32 GB. Does the Siri AI use a lot of storage?

-Allen

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 05:49 PM

iPhone 4S new 14.4 Mbps HSDPA 4G speeds won't help Americans

Apple demonstrated fast new 14.4 Mbps data downloads that technically put the new iPhone 4S in the realm of 4G LTE competitors, but US residents won't benefit much from the increased potential because domestic carriers don't support it.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 05:53 PM

Specifically how much value 64 GB adds over 32 GB.
You can keep twice as much stuff on your phone. "Stuff" depends on how you use your phone. Do you carry movies? Now you can carry about twice as many. Music? Twice as much. Is it worth $100? Only you can decide. I think the biggest value comes in conjunction with the camera. You'll be able to take more photos and videos with the higher resolution camera before the memory fills up.

Does the Siri AI use a lot of storage?
I don't think Siri uses any storage. It's all done live.

freudling
Banned
Oct 4, 2011, 05:59 PM

It's amazing the reaction here. Apple's now pushing "specs" on this phone, and some of you are praising that. Yet, you also used to discount specs as something that didn't matter. It was all about the user experience. And selling specs is what PC makers do.

Don't get me wrong, faster and a nicer camera is cool, but there has to be more than that after 15 months.

Personally, PERSONALLY, I think the iPhone 4's design is terrible. Never liked it. Looks like a pancaked Braun mixer. And it feels terrible in the hand too. Too many sharp edges.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2011, 06:04 PM

What difference does it make that it's the same as the iPhone 4? Inside it's a big update to iPad 2 spec. The 3GS is still around and that's the same case as a 3G.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
AHHHHHH!!!! (Porkins' death cry)
Dack! Dack!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Personally, PERSONALLY, I think the iPhone 4's design is terrible. Never liked it. Looks like a pancaked Braun mixer. And it feels terrible in the hand too. Too many sharp edges.
I think it looks fantastic, but is characterized by very poor design choices for a phone (glass back, doesn't feel natural in hand, etc).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Part of me feels a little like Apple wasn't trying with the iPhone 4S. But the other part of me feels amazed at what they've been able to do. They've essentially completely redesigned everything about the phone while keeping it in the thinnest case on the US market (Sony Ericsson have a thinner phone abroad). However, I do think that in the very fast-paced mobile market that keeping a design for what has the potential to be almost 2.5 years can be a big gamble. Especially with some competing products such as the Galaxy S II receiving very high reviews and a larger and larger international user base.
Considering that all other manufacturers are modeling their hardware after Apple's *cough*Samsung*cough* , there is something to be said for product recognition.

iPhone 4 is well-known and well-recognized. I think there's more value in "iPhone everywhere" than there is in throwing out a breathtaking design and replacing it without real cause to.

freudling
Banned
Oct 4, 2011, 06:28 PM

Considering that all other manufacturers are modeling their hardware after Apple's *cough*Samsung*cough* , there is something to be said for product recognition.

iPhone 4 is well-known and well-recognized. I think there's more value in "iPhone everywhere" than there is in throwing out a breathtaking design and replacing it without real cause to.
Your opinion. My opinion is that the design, like some others see it, is not good. Too many sharp edges for one. It doesn't feel good in the hand. That's just for starters.

Anyway, I read some interesting stuff just now about speculation as to why there is no iPhone 5 folks.

As much as I love Apple, like most of you, reality is reality. There's some good discussion going on on the Web that may be nailing it. In a nutshell, some people are saying that Apple did intend to launch an iPhone 5. That what was lost that day in that bar was also an iPhone 5. That they've had nothing but problems with suppliers and manufacturing setbacks, and realized it wasn't going to happen in time, even on a reasonably delayed schedule. A large part of this stems from their legal war with Samsung.

I've said this all along. Apple wants to fight these big tech companies who've been at this game a long time, with huge patent portfolios. It ends up being a chess game, and one that's dangerous to play. Yes, Samsung copied Apple. But the problem is that Apple also shot themselves in the foot by suing them because Apple needs Samsung as much as Samsung needs Apple.

So what happened was, they quickly changed their strategy and just put a new processor, more RAM, and better camera in the iPhone 4. If all this is true, the iPhone 4S is just a major stopgap and blunder, even though it offers some nice improvements. This isn't what Apple intended to release.

From around the Web:

IPHONE 4S.. "S" Stands for SUCKERS!!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 06:40 PM

The iPhone 4 was also a huge "blunder" according to the naysayers. People were saying it was the Windows Vistas of phones--ugly, poorly designed, botched antenna, botched release (wifi hiccup during the keynote).

The wheel in the sky keeps on turning . . .

freudling
Banned
Oct 4, 2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
The iPhone 4 was also a huge "blunder" according to the naysayers. People were saying it was the Windows Vistas of phones--ugly, poorly designed, botched antenna, botched release (wifi hiccup during the keynote).

The wheel in the sky keeps on turning . . .
Well, if taken from these faults, it was a blunder then. I think the iPhone 4 is a solid phone. I don't like the design and dumped it 1 month after using it. But it is solid.

But the reality may be that Apple just inserted the guts of the iPhone 5 into the iPhone 4. That they made this decision just some months ago and it helps explain the delay. They probably do this and had a contingency where they could quickly retrofit these guts into an older model in case all else failed. For the first time, I think all else failed.

If this is the case, this is a completely different situation.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 06:58 PM

Your opinion. My opinion is that the design, like some others see it, is not good. Too many sharp edges for one. It doesn't feel good in the hand. That's just for starters.
You really need to learn to distinguish between the person and the world he's describing.

My personal opinion is that I'll miss the hand-warming roundness of my 3GS.

Saying that
"iPhone 4 is well-known and well-recognized. I think there's more value in "iPhone everywhere" than there is in throwing out a breathtaking design and replacing it without real cause to."
takes into account that my own personal opinion doesn't appear to matter to the world at large, which is buying the damn thing LIKE CRAZY.

It's still an opinion, but it's not nearly as personal as a preference.

freudling
Banned
Oct 4, 2011, 07:03 PM

You really need to learn to distinguish between the person and the world he's describing.

My personal opinion is that I'll miss the hand-warming roundness of my 3GS.

Saying that
"iPhone 4 is well-known and well-recognized. I think there's more value in "iPhone everywhere" than there is in throwing out a breathtaking design and replacing it without real cause to."
takes into account that my own personal opinion doesn't appear to matter to the world at large, which is buying the damn thing LIKE CRAZY.

It's still an opinion, but it's not nearly as personal as a preference.
Who gives a fluffy kitten about your opinion anyway?
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 5, 2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: toning it down)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 07:16 PM

What are you doing in this thread if all you want is a blog?

I suggest you step away from the internet RIGHT NOW.

(and seek help)

What's weird is that I was agreeing with you, but trying to gently point out a repeated misunderstanding on your part that makes you come across like a complete asshole sometimes.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 5, 2011 at 07:48 AM. )

freudling
Banned
Oct 4, 2011, 07:31 PM

What are you doing in this thread if all you want is a blog?

I suggest you step away from the internet RIGHT NOW.

(and seek help)

What's weird is that I was agreeing with you, but trying to gently point out a repeated misunderstanding on your part that makes you come across like a complete asshole sometimes.
I just felt like saying fluffy kitten today.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 5, 2011 at 07:48 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 07:34 PM

Awesome. Somebody might just feel like smashing a beer mug in your face some day.

freudling
Banned
Oct 4, 2011, 08:28 PM

Awesome. Somebody might just feel like smashing a beer mug in your face some day.
Well I don't think anyone would give a fluffy kitten anyway, so it's not a problem. I've got broken bones from playing hockey. I can take some good shots.

I wonder if I'd be covered by insurance though here? Anyway, it's not important, because the insurance company probably wouldn't give a fluffy kitten either.

Back to the topic, I wonder if anyone gives a fluffy kitten about Apple's iPhone 4S? I've been taken back by the hugely mixed reaction online. Even the most blatant Apple Fanbois are crying.

I love their software though. That's a nice upgrade.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 5, 2011 at 07:50 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 08:33 PM

I happen to like the 4/4S design.

However, I suspect one reason people just don't find the 4S particularly exciting an upgrade is because it's pretty much exactly what we expected.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2011, 08:35 PM

Exactly. There were no surprises today ... except for Cards (what was with that? felt like they had 5 minutes of keynote to fill and just threw that in somewhere)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2011, 08:42 PM

From around the Web:
IPHONE 4S.. "S" Stands for SUCKERS!!
So what should people do then? Buy an iPhone 4 or 3GS instead?
Whoa.
I just felt like saying fluffy kitten today.
Whoa.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 5, 2011 at 07:51 AM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 08:43 PM

well, when the USPS goes bankrupt, at least I can use Cards.

freudling
Banned
Oct 4, 2011, 09:11 PM

So what should people do then? Buy an iPhone 4 or 3GS instead?

Whoa.

Whoa.
And whoa! I love that!

Well, anyway, they could buy the Nexus Prime being shown off 11 October... the dark side (Android):

Google And Samsung Announce October 11 Event: Nexus Prime Imminent | TechCrunch

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2011, 09:21 PM

And whoa! I love that!

Well, anyway, they could buy the Nexus Prime being shown off 11 October... the dark side (Android):

It's pretty hilarious how, only yesterday, you were raving about how great Apple's products were.

freudling
Banned
Oct 4, 2011, 09:32 PM

It's pretty hilarious how, only yesterday, you were raving about how great Apple's products were.
It's pretty hilarious how so many of you on this forum are so touchy and 2 dimensional. He just asked me what other alternative there may be and I said you could leave Apple and go to the "dark side". Then you jumped to this wild conclusion that I don't think Apple products are great.

The gap between the veracity of the semantics of what's written and your interpretation of it is probably impossible to calculate in terms of distance.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2011, 09:46 PM

And whoa! I love that!

99% of iPhone buyers won't care (or likely even know) about the Nexus line of phones. And that's perfectly fine by Google.

freudling
Banned
Oct 5, 2011, 04:10 AM

99% of iPhone buyers won't care (or likely even know) about the Nexus line of phones. And that's perfectly fine by Google.
That number may be more than you think after today.

I used my girlfriend's iPhone 4 tonight... coming from trying a Galaxy 4.5". While the latter is too big, the former is too small. Looking at the iPhone 4 screen I can see already once a 4" comes out this thing is going to be old school.

I really wish this came true today. Looking at this, what the iPhone 5 was supposed to be, and this today blows hard. iPhone 4 looks like a Gordon Gecko cell phone next to it:

iPhone 5: This is our Design-Prototype [ENG Subtitles] - YouTube

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2011, 04:55 AM

Who wants to place bets on whether or not Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4.5s will have their GSM capabilities locked? Does Verizon make it tough for owners of other "World Phone" models to use GSM?

freudling, your logic in this thread is a little, well, off. You're assuming that Apple had manufacturing problems with the hypothetical 5 because of its war with Samsung, yet you also assume that the guts of the 5 were transplanted into the 4S. That's pretty nonsensical. If Apple wanted to it would have released the 5 now - certainly the advanced components in the 4S are more of a technical challenge to manufacture than a case redesign should be. Granted, the company does look a little dumb for delaying this revision and not coming out with a new case design. But the fact of the matter is, the iPhone 4 case design is very well received judging by the sales statistics, and Apple doesn't throw out good case designs after only a year. We all should have expected the 4S, but we were thrown off because of that delay that does seem ill conceived. It made many assume that Apple would have something hugely new for this event, and everyone wanted to believe the rumor mill hype. What we got instead was a considerable internals upgrade to the 4. The only thing that could have been larger would have been true 4G capability, but we also knew that wasn't coming. Hardly a blunder, aside from the fact that Apple let expectations get out of hand as it so often does.

As for your complaints about the 4 having a small screen, that's clearly a very subjective matter. A good number of tech geeks seem to be enamored of the larger screens that Android devices are introducing. Great, let them buy Android phones. Apple likes the screen size it offers on the iPhone. If it were to have changed, it would have changed with the resolution upgrade on the 4. Plus, Apple's not going to sacrifice its Retina display marketing to increase the screen size while reducing pixel density. I think if you're hoping for a 5 with a larger screen, you should get used to Android or Windows.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 5, 2011 at 05:07 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2011, 06:12 AM

Siri looks interesting but of the reasons it does is because Apple's current voice command functionality is just terrible, and much worse than the competition.

Siri likely leapfrogs the competition but in a way, Apple is just playing catch up too.

Let's just hope this doesn't go the way of Automator or Sherlock.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2011, 08:17 AM

I really wish this came true today. Looking at this, what the iPhone 5 was supposed to be, and this today blows hard. iPhone 4 looks like a Gordon Gecko cell phone next to it:

iPhone 5: This is our Design-Prototype [ENG Subtitles] - YouTube
You do realize that everyone and their dog can produce an "iPhone prototype" and make it look like whatever they want?

Personally, I'm pissed off that they didn't release *this* yesterday:

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Siri looks interesting but of the reasons it does is because Apple's current voice command functionality is just terrible, and much worse than the competition.

Siri likely leapfrogs the competition but in a way, Apple is just playing catch up too.

Let's just hope this doesn't go the way of Automator or Sherlock.
I can't see myself using it. The idea of speaking to my phone without a human on the other side has always felt strange.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2011, 08:43 AM

I would never use Siri in public either. However, I would use it in the car when I'm driving. I just need something that's better than Apple's current voice control functionality, which is crap.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2011, 09:02 AM

You do realize that everyone and their dog can produce an "iPhone prototype" and make it look like whatever they want?

Personally, I'm pissed off that they didn't release *this* yesterday:
I'm pissed apple didn't release this yesterday:

Look closely and you'll see the conventional phone part. That would totally solve the problem of looking mad while talking to your phone. Among others.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 5, 2011 at 10:23 AM. )
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 09:08 AM

I'm very happy with this keynote. It's not an iPhone 5, but it's an iPhone 4 with a huge came upgrade, a dual core processor, better antennas, better battery life... this "is" an iPhone 5, just not by name. I'm happy and if Sprint's iPhone planes are priced competitively (cheaper thank VZ & AT&T), I'll be buying one as soon as they are available.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Who wants to place bets on whether or not Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4.5s will have their GSM capabilities locked? Does Verizon make it tough for owners of other "World Phone" models to use GSM?
Did you watch the keynote? Any iPhone 4S can roam the world in GSM. In terms of Verizon making it tough, nope. All I have to do to use my Droid 2 Global overseas is just pop in a local SIM card (it actually came with a Vodafone/Verizon SIM card to roam in Europe and pay Verizon's exorbitant fees).

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2011, 09:54 AM

Does anyone else see something wrong with this? (4S, 4, 3GS)

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2011, 09:54 AM

That's straight from apple.com, btw.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2011, 09:58 AM

Why does the 4S have better talk time and worse standby time? And also, that chart implies a CDMA version of iPhone 4 and 3GS.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 09:59 AM

And also, that chart implies a CDMA version of iPhone 4 and 3GS.
I disagree.

Forum Links
Forum Rules