Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sony's expensive TiBook like laptop

Sony's expensive TiBook like laptop
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 08:09 PM

Check out the Sony PCG-Z1RA

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...8&type=product

What an expensive windows replacement for the powerbook.

And some people here are complaining about how PowerBooks cost so much more than it's pc equivalent.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2003, 08:29 PM

Its not worthy of comparison. Do you know how CRAPPY shared memory is, especially at only 16 MB? I can't believe Sony is still using shared memory, or that consumers are still going for it in this day and age. No DVD-R either. It's PC wannabees like this that make me feel fortunate I have my 17" which has Bluetooth and Firewire 800. Where's the light up keyboard? Did I miss where it says the exterior is aluminum and not silver painted plastic? I don't see it. There must be some PC laptop out there better equipped.

Acapella75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2003, 09:04 PM

Actually, the Sony does not have shared memory. It uses a 16mb ATI mobility radeon graphics chip.

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 09:07 PM

I've seen the first generation of that laptop in person, and it's the best looking PC laptop I've ever seen.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 09:09 PM

it is a nice looking PC laptop. I can name a few others but yeah.
Aloha

justinf77
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Acapella75:
Actually, the Sony does not have shared memory. It uses a 16mb ATI mobility radeon graphics chip.
No. It uses an ATI Mobility Radeon Chip with 16 MB Shared Memory.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2003, 10:55 PM

The new Best Buy site design looks like CompUSA's.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2003, 11:14 PM

Explain to me how it looks like a TiBook ... OTHER than the fact that it's grey and rectangular

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 12:14 AM

I saw it yesterday at the local Sony store, and i think it's a very nice laptop. The best PC laptop i've seen.

I also saw the new mini vaio with the onyx 10inc screen and i think it's gorgeous.

Other than that, i love my TiBook and i would never use a PC

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2003, 02:13 AM

It seems to me some folks confuse cosmetics with functionality. Just because the Sony has a silver case, doesn't mean it's a TiBook clone.

Still I understand your point, in that the Sony is fairly expensive. Sony is a strong premium brand name, much like Apple. They aren't going to try and compete with Gateway and eMachines on price.

If Apple can get the G5 into PowerBooks and keep the price points close to where they are now, THEN I will be really impressed.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Explain to me how it looks like a TiBook ... OTHER than the fact that it's grey and rectangular
Look and feel is very similar to the TiBook. So the color scheme, the weight, and the thickness is similar. Obvious trying to mimic the TiBook's finesse.

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by hyteckit:
Look and feel is very similar to the TiBook. So the color scheme, the weight, and the thickness is similar. Obvious trying to mimic the TiBook's finesse.
If you've seen one in person, you would take those words back in an instant.

The most distinctive external feature of this computer is the sloped side of the case to expose ports that come out from just to the side of the keyboard. I don't think there's a laptop out there that looks like this one, and that includes PowerBooks.

Would anyone here really mistake this for a PowerBook at first glance, price tag not included?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by hyteckit:
So, anyone who develops a light and thin laptop is mimicking Apple? Sony is also quite well known for finesse.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 10:26 AM

Back when the TiBook was first introduced, Steve Jobs kept comparing it to the Sony VAIO Z505 that had been out on the market for a number of years, so it goes both ways. I own both the Z1 and a TiBook, and I prefer the Z1. That said, my main machine is a 17" AlBook.

billybob128
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 12:28 PM

but has anyone thought that at the same dimensions + a thicker part as a 14.1" iBook it weighs only 0.2lbs less than a:
12.1 iBook
which i find slightly heavy at some times

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

gwright
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by justinf77:
No. It uses an ATI Mobility Radeon Chip with 16 MB Shared Memory.
No, ATI don't make graphics cards that use shared memory. It's a mistake in the advertising... It's probably a 7500 Mobility (M7) or a M6 in there.

macfreshman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2003, 03:13 AM

Sony is definately the only other PC notebook maker that has a design team. Most of their products are beautiful and well-built.

That being said, I still find the Z1 to not be as simple-looking as the 17" or 12" Powerbooks. I am taken aback over and over and find myself just staring at the beauty my 17incher. The Sony just seems cluttered now with all the leds, etc. I don't know - just my opinion.

The more I use Apple, the more I like them (and it's only been 6 months)
15" MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz 1GB 100GB 7200RPM
iMac 20" 2.0Ghz Intel & 23" Cinema Display & Soundsticks
iPod Video 30GB ver1 & 1GB Shuffle ver2

Windows divorce date: January 7, 2003

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 05:40 AM

The one thing that bugs me about sony's laptop is they manage to do such a nice job at it, and turn around and put 3 ugly stickers on the palmrest.

it's like sticking a honda civic wing on a mclaren..
Aloha

desvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2003, 06:12 AM

having used a Z1 quite extensively, I have to say i really liked it, apart from the price tag. for the money, you're better of getting an Acer 800 series centrino laptop (if you wanted a pc laptop): almost the same specs and a price tag that's a lot easier on the wallet.

The biggest flaw - if one must call it that - on the Z1 afaik is the lack of quite a lot of legacy ports (like parallel). I personally don't miss it, but some people in the market for this might miss it.

Sony has all but finished the Z2 btw, the Z1 is EOL-ed.

All in all, a very nice laptop, IMHO.

Originally posted by gwright:
No, ATI don't make graphics cards that use shared memory. It's a mistake in the advertising... It's probably a 7500 Mobility (M7) or a M6 in there.
ATI does make graphics cards with shared memory. HP has got some laptops that use an ATI radeon chip with shared memory.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 07:40 AM

The only 'legacy' port I ever use is serial.. dunno about you but those things are huge and worthless..

I actually saw a laptop a few weeks ago at a store that had a 25 pin SERIAL port.. now that's weird.
Aloha

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by macfreshman:
Sony is definately the only other PC notebook maker that has a design team. Most of their products are beautiful and well-built.
Fujitsu has a design team and puts out some nice laptops. Dell and HP also have design teams ... though you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at their laptops.

nayr x
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Dell and HP also have design teams ... though you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at their laptops.
...I was under the impression that dell was run by 18 year old interns...

Anyway, I think that while this isn't exactly a TiBook clone, it does barrow styling queues from apples, as apple has borrowed queues from sony.... I think whenever a new product comes out, especially an apple (which in most cases is an industrial work of art) everyone in the industry takes it into account when designing their next product. The exciting part for us consumers is that it forces companies to try to raise the bar with each release, so we end up with some cool shwag. But I would argue if it weren't for apple, PCs would still be in beige boxes. Im stoked for the G5 portables (whenever they come out) I expect to see some revolutionary design incorporated there!

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 03:44 PM

Sony has all but finished the Z2 btw, the Z1 is EOL-ed.
Not quite. The Z1A was discontinued in June. The Z1R was supposed to be out the first week of July, but is just now making its way to the shelves of retail outlets. The Z1R should be around for a littlel while.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 04:46 PM

I have to say, the only PC laptop I'd be willing to purchase is a Sony. They are the only company in Apple's league.

I just wish they could make me a cross between my CLIE and the iPOD and I'd be a happy camper!

Forum Links
Forum Rules