Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.2 caused decreased sound output?

10.2 caused decreased sound output?
Thumannator
Oct 19, 2002, 11:46 AM

I just got 10.2 a couple days ago. After installing on my PowerBook 800, it seems to me that the sound output is quieter than it used to be for the same volume setting. Most of the time, under 10.1.5, I have the volume set to 3 or sometimes 4 of the white squares when using the volume keys on the keyboard. That yielded a comfortable volume level for listening to music through iTunes on headphones, plus when I did not have the headphones plugged in, I could always hear the system alerts that would come up every so often (like in Mail when I had new messages). Now, with 10.2, I have had to turn the volume up to about 5 or sometimes 6 of those squares. This again yields a comfortable volume level for iTunes, but rarely can I hear any of the system alerts.

Anyone else notice this, or am I just a bit loonier than usual? Is there a way to adjust the volume level of just those system alerts (which by the way, I cannot figure out what type of sound files they are, let alone how to add my own new sounds; I've tried adding to my ~home/Library/sounds folder but they are never available)?

I realize this stands to be considered more of an OS X topic, but my experience has so far only been on the PowerBook, so I thought I'd start in this forum.

Thanks

blackgasmask
Oct 19, 2002, 12:38 PM

my pismo had a similair reaction to 10.2. I had almost no sound. Try installing 9.2 if you dont have it already. that seemed to take care of my problem.

Thumannator  (op)
Oct 19, 2002, 01:04 PM

I do have 9.2 installed. Reinstalling that wouldn't do any good, would it?

blackgasmask
Oct 19, 2002, 02:35 PM

Doubt it. I checked my pismo and while installing 9.2 got my sound back it is definitely lower volume. it seems alrite through external speakers but theyre self powered so it matters less. Ive no idea what causes the lower levels though.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2002, 02:56 PM

I had 10.1.5 on my Powerbook and the sound was great, since getting Jag and getting a new iMac and using that as my main machine i HAVE noticed that the sound output is MUCH softer then say 9
i'll try insalling 9.2

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 01:51 AM

I've experienced decreased sound as well. I find myself turning the volume up 5 or 6 notches while listening to iTunes. Perhaps it's just iTunes and its sound processor/normalizer?

On another note, I've also experienced strange balance changes in sound output. Sometimes while watching DVDs or QT movies, even iTunes, the sound in my headphones seems funny. It confused me for a while until I checked the Sound Preference Pane. Turns out my PowerBook automatically moved the balance slider to the left or right - totally at random. I have no idea what application or action caused this unprovoked sliding of my stereo balance. Anyone experience the same thing?

Forum Links
Forum Rules