Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Backup 2 bug

Backup 2 bug
Thumannator
Nov 6, 2003, 09:23 PM

Has anyone else tried to add new items or folders with Backup 2? I tried, but after picking a folder, I hit the "choose" button and nothing happened. Then, I hit cancel and the window that popped up wouldn't go away. I had to quit Backup and restart it before I could get back to its main window.

I'm running 10.2.8 on both a PowerBook and an old iMac, and I've gotten the same result. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2003, 10:36 PM

Moving to Software.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2003, 10:43 PM

I added my whole entire /User folder without a hitch....

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2003, 11:36 PM

Is it faster than the beta? the beta was painfully slow before it would actually copy (checking?).

Love the Panther though.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Thumannator  (op)
Nov 6, 2003, 11:40 PM

Ok, i can drag my "Users" folder in there, but... is it not possible to drag my hard drive into the Backup window, and thus back up my whole hard drive? (I'm trying to back up my PowerBook which is about 25 GB full, to my iMac which has an 80 GB drive that's only like 10% full). I realize I could just hook the two together and copy the PowerBook drive to the iMac, but I kind of just wanted to see if Backup would do it. Now I am having all this trouble!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2003, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Thumannator:
Ok, i can drag my "Users" folder in there, but... is it not possible to drag my hard drive into the Backup window, and thus back up my whole hard drive? (I'm trying to back up my PowerBook which is about 25 GB full, to my iMac which has an 80 GB drive that's only like 10% full). I realize I could just hook the two together and copy the PowerBook drive to the iMac, but I kind of just wanted to see if Backup would do it. Now I am having all this trouble!
I don't think Backup can do that. And you can't just drag the drive over to another drive either. The permissions won't let some files copy over. I suspect this is one reason Backup can't do that.

You need Carbon Copy Cloner if you want to clone your whole drive. It's free, and very reliable. Highly recommended.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 07:30 AM

shame Backup 2 doesn't support proxies.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
...It's free, and very reliable. Highly recommended.
Actually, it's shareware....

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Twilly Spree:
shame Backup 2 doesn't support proxies.

Thumannator  (op)
Nov 11, 2003, 09:47 PM

Forgive my stupidity, but...

I tried out CCC, but I do not believe it works as I want it to. Or, maybe I am using it wrong. I mounted a partition from my iMac onto my PowerBook desktop. Then I started up CCC, but a window popped up saying:

"CCC could not find any local disks mounted on your system besides the startup disk. Please mount another local disk and try running CCC again."

Does this mean that I can only backup to an internal drive? I've read through CCC's ReadMe and it says that one option for copying is "any machine which supports Mac OS X" so why isn't this working, or what am I misunderstanding?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Thumannator:
Forgive my stupidity, but...

I tried out CCC, but I do not believe it works as I want it to. Or, maybe I am using it wrong. I mounted a partition from my iMac onto my PowerBook desktop. Then I started up CCC, but a window popped up saying:

"CCC could not find any local disks mounted on your system besides the startup disk. Please mount another local disk and try running CCC again."

Does this mean that I can only backup to an internal drive? I've read through CCC's ReadMe and it says that one option for copying is "any machine which supports Mac OS X" so why isn't this working, or what am I misunderstanding?
I've run CCC to backup my internal HD to an external Firewire drive, so that works. Not sure what you're talking about by moutning the partition on your desktop... you can't mount it via AFP, it has to be an attached (internal or external) drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules